Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: "Newbie" question: 2XB v. 1XB + shield

Quote Originally Posted by Karth View Post
    A shield could make the difference between being killed by a lasher you didn't see in one hit or surviving the attack to smoke screen. It's just a bit difficult to stomach the dps loss...
    In my opinion, if trash mobs manage to come to me and hit me before I kill them, I should not be playing there, but the act before maybe... I do not want to waste SS just for a fallen or a skeleton.

But this could make sense in the fact that for example, skeleton archers' arrows are really, really hard to dodge manually, and can hit for a huge amount of HP when you take 3-4... there, a shield could be usefull.

But for a huge majority of fights, and especially if you play multiplayer where you are most likely to have someone in melee range ahead of you, a quiver is way better at increasing you damages, speed, disc and hatred regeneration, wich is amazing (If you use preparation, even 7 disc is virtually one more SS in a fight)

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    In my opinion, if trash mobs manage to come to me and hit me before I kill them, I should not be playing there, but the act before maybe... I do not want to waste SS just for a fallen or a skeleton.

But this could make sense in the fact that for example, skeleton archers' arrows are really, really hard to dodge manually, and can hit for a huge amount of HP when you take 3-4... there, a shield could be usefull.

But for a huge majority of fights, and especially if you play multiplayer where you are most likely to have someone in melee range ahead of you, a quiver is way better at increasing you damages, speed, disc and hatred regeneration, wich is amazing (If you use preparation, even 7 disc is virtually one more SS in a fight)
    You have a pretty good point that, when applied to more typical ranged attacks, I agree with.

The lasher isn't a good example of this; they're far and away the nastiest mob in A3, with an attack that can deal ~230k damage before DR, is ranged, almost instantaneous, unavoidable, and causes the monster to close distance with you. Having problems with them doesn't mean you need to go back to the previous act; it means that lashers are vile creatures designed to beat the tar out of you.

In a party, no, you don't need a shield. If you're dying in that case, you need to go back to town and work up a better strategy. But if you're concerned with not dying in one hit to some of the nastiest attacks in the game (lashers, oppressors, etc), the 1000+ armor and extra all res available on a shield are a good way to have a chance at that.

IncGamers Member

I totally agree with you on the lasher : Even when grouping with friends that finished inferno, The only rule for act 3 is :

"If champ/ rare lasher pack, whatever affixes they have got, everybody run away and the monk/barb of the party go park them in a map corner..." These guys are really nasty!

My point was just that with a DH, which is one of the best damage dealing ranged class, at the price of surviving, a good rule is that you must bew able to kill almost every white trash from far away, except a few stuff like lashers, to be able to do a zone without too nuch problems. If you cannot, you are in the wrong place.

BUt to come back on the shield/quiver stuff, My advice is :

-Always have a good quiver in stash : you can use it with every weapon you want, it's an insane DPS increase, and it is usefull in quite every situation.
    -For the shield, it's difficult to say : You have to play a 1h Xbow, and the suield must have really good defensive/surviving affixes. The shield won't do all the defensive stuff you need, so you have to stack a few other defense affixes (res, defense, armor, dodge) for it to really be usefull (if you get 1 hit killed by many things with 50k hits where you have 25k life, a shield is useless)

Conclusion : always have a good quiver waiting for you in case of, if you manage to stack some protective stats, find a good one hand and a good shield, and play alone, you can trie shield. If not, quiver.

IncGamers Member

Yeah, I think we pretty much agree. Except for outliers, quiver>shield.

I will say that I wouldn't mind trying a ~+100 dex, 10% chance to crit, 60+ all res shield on my DH. Quivers can't get quite as much crit chance... it might be worth it for my build if I had enough IAS on other gear.

IncGamers Member

Seems like a good shield, but my fear is that you will loose too much going from bow/Xbow to 1h Xbow..? But I could be wrong. At same DPS, without taking stats into account, how do the prices behave compared to 2handlers?

BattleTag Joosh-6939

Honestly, I think they both have their positives.

I was thinking about this further and had a thought, offhand weapon switch! I suspect (not actually sure of the reason) they don't wish to have it like in D2 where you could just switch for buffs/MF but I think allowing the offhand weapon switch would open up a lot of versatility and further the immersive experience that is diablo 3.

See a group of white skeletons, Bam! Quiver on and tear those demons apart, but oh no, there's a group of skeleton archers behind them. No problem you say as you switch to your shield, take this demonspawn!!!

Just my $0.02

Joosh

IncGamers Member

Good idea, but as far as I am concerned, it's either :

-No switch at all
    -2hands switch.

Allowing only an off-hand switch is kind of a discrimination for people using 2h weapon. For DH, this strategy would force you to play1h Xbow, as 2hXbows or Bows are only playable with quivers, not shields.

But I would like to see this feature in the future. In D2, it was allowed, and lots of people used it only with CTA/shield +2all skills (or 2xCTA for barbs) just to buff theirselves, with is like switching to increase MF or any other thing.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Seems like a good shield, but my fear is that you will loose too much going from bow/Xbow to 1h Xbow..? But I could be wrong. At same DPS, without taking stats into account, how do the prices behave compared to 2handlers?
    I'm currently using a 1h crossbow build with night stalker to keep discipline moving. For the same dps, 1h crossbows are significantly more expensive.

You really can't fairly compare 1h weapons vs 2h weapons on an equal-dps basis, though. Slow weapons have to have a bit more base dps to account for how they synergize less well with +damage on rings/amulets, on hit effects, on crit effects, can't be used with a shield, can't be used with another weapon to get all the bonuses you can find there, etc.

IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure the original post was asking about dual wielding 1-hand crossbows vs. hand crossbow + shield, not 2-hand bow/crossbow vs 1-hand + shield. Perhaps they can clarify that, but that is how I read it. They mention the 15% ias boost, which is for dual wielding.

Jagged Spikes has a very favorable LoH coefficient.
    If you stack 5 together and use the Numbing Traps passive along with Guardian Sentry, you get ~330% LoH per second as well as 40% damage reduction.

I know for fact that it works while leveling (even without a shield), but not sure if it's viable after act1 Inferno (even with a shield).