Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    IncGamers Member

Re: "Newbie" question: 2XB v. 1XB + shield

Did anyone have any luck at all with two crossbows?

I'll give it a try with my DH. Two crossbows with both 50%+ increased crit damage and 400+ life on hit. Unless someone tells me that's uber fail?

BattleTag Xuu-6972

Does even LOH really that needed for a DH?
    I think its needed for certain instance, but not to the point that it is necessary.
    Correct me.

IncGamers Member

I think a loh dh could work but would really shine with SP/gloom and caltrop/JS to proc loh.

I had the intention of going loh heavy but other than a small amount for reflect mobs and the occasional ranged attacks I decided not to prioritise (expensive!!) loh item and leave them for the people that really need them, melee classes.

But if you already have the items and the dps isn't too gimped compared to the comparable level 1h bow, well its not going to hurt..

Not 60 yet but picking up weapons where I can but purchased my new 60 bow this morning. Went from a 826dps/750 loh/+100 dex and vit bow to a 952dps/250 loh/socket and the thing that caught my eye, fear on hit which I'm hoping will stack with the fear on nat's gaze to give me about 5% in total.

Did a comparison on a damage calculator and both come out very similar in terms of damage but factor in an emerald and it blows the loh bow out of the water.

Only reason I can see the loh bow of being any use are reflect mobs for the extra 100 vit and 500 loh over the fear bow, but only if there was a simple hotkey switch.

Its useless for bosses as I'd prefer the extra crit damage over survivability in a boss fight esp if enrage timers are in.

IncGamers Member

I recommend checking the http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/com...ick-look-chart to have a look which affixes you can have on a weapon vs. shield vs. off-hand (quiver).

Weapons can have almost double the amount of DEX and VIT. Only a shield can have Armor and Res All.

If you use a 1h xbow, a quiver can't contribute anything that a second xbow or a shield can't provide as well.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by buralien View Post
    I recommend checking the http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/com...ick-look-chart to have a look which affixes you can have on a weapon vs. shield vs. off-hand (quiver).

Weapons can have almost double the amount of DEX and VIT. Only a shield can have Armor and Res All.

If you use a 1h xbow, a quiver can't contribute anything that a second xbow or a shield can't provide as well.
    There are some pretty big flaws with that chart. For instance, a shield can have 10% chance to crit but a mojo, orb, or quiver can only reach 8.5%. Also, while a shield can provide crit chance and a second hand crossbow can provide 15% ias, neither can do both at the same time. I wouldn't imply that 1h crossbow + quiver is useless, so much as say that it is suboptimal.

For the most part, weapon choice isn't about what benefit you get from Archery. It's about attack speed.

Slower attack speed (Two-handed crossbow)
    • Gets most benefit from hatred regeneration over time, because more hatred is gained in between each attack, and hatred is used slower while spamming a hatred-costing skill.
    • Gets least benefit from hatred generating attacks; it's probably best to lean more on hatred regeneration over time, and with enough of it (Bat Companion in particular) you can eliminate hatred-generating attacks completely in favor of an attack with a low, easily regenerated hatred cost and another with a (slightly) higher, harder-to-spam cost.
    • If leaning on hatred regeneration over time, gains least benefit from increased attack speed, as it will increase hatred consumption rate and you'll eventually be firing your hatred generating attack (or your normal attack if you don't have one).
    • Gets least benefit from life on hit and "chance to freeze" type effects.
    • Gets least benefit from Night Stalker; Archery doesn't improve crit chance and you already fire slow.

Faster attack speed (One-handed crossbow)
    • Gets least benefit from hatred regeneration over time, because less hatred is gained in between each attack. You'll need to rely heavily on your hatred-generator.
    • Cannot effectively spam skills with hatred costs. Since you'll be using your hatred generator often, it's important that your hatred spender be a significant improvement when you do use it, so you're probably best off using a hatred spender that has a high hatred cost for a powerful effect.
    • Gets most benefit from life on hit and "chance to freeze" type effects.
    • Gets most benefit from Night Stalker; Archery further improves crit chance, and having a quiver (or shield) with crit chance improves it further still.
    • If leaning on procing effects or on Night Stalker, benefits the most from increased attack speed.
    • Dual-wielding: The only reason to dual-wield is to stack an item property that is virtually exclusive to weapons. The best examples of this are life on hit (for tanking) and critical damage (for serious DPSers).

Medium attack speed (Bow)
    • Essentially a compromise between fast attack speed and slow attack speed.
    • Archery: Unlike the two types of crossbows, Bow Archery does not require you to invest in critical chance/damage. This makes it a superior choice for characters with low critical chance/damage, if you're into avoiding that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    Smokescreen isn't enough. The duration is terribad, and you can't move through packs (for escaping things like 3 sided waller walls).

In order to barely function in Inferno, I need both Smokescreen AND Vault, and I still die with grim regularity.
    I run smokescreen w/o vault and preparation with the 30% chance of no cool down, even with setting a trap for + cric hit % i can cast smoke 6 times including the preparation. I also use lingering fog to give it a half sec longer which seems more 2 seconds. That will outlast any waller effect without using all 6, plus IF its a waller and or jailer i don't use traps if i'm having to kite alot. Also use Tact Advantage so i can get the hell out of dodge if needs be. Considered using the 1st rune on smoke screen for the 35% boost and use a different passive....BUT was use to the setup i already had. It gives me ALOT of mobility, Also a side note i have 38 max disc and trying to bump it up to 45+ or even 50. As a side, side note trying to take out preparation for disc generation. Only thing i've found was spreadshot or wideshot? cant remember what it was due to not using it but it generates 1 disc per hit. which when your fighting ONLY a champ pack 40 hatred lose to gain 4-5 disc does not work when you need better regen.