Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

"Newbie" question: 2XB v. 1XB + shield

I know there's a +15% IAS bonus for dual wielding, but it also sounds like that you alternate weapons, so it sounds like you don't get to fire two weapons twice as fast.

So, I guess I'm wondering: when does it make more sense to use two hand crossbows v. one hand crossbow and a shield?

IncGamers Member

Re: "Newbie" question: 2XB v. 1XB + shield

Depends on what you are looking for with Archery : +50% crit damage for 2h, +10% crit chance for 1h.

But, you can have a quiver in off hand with both, so if your shield is not as good as a quiver (There are always +12-13% ias mods in quiver), then the 2h crossbow is probably better. Furthermore, I do not see the point of using a shield past a certain difficulty level. I take minimum 40k when hit in act3 inferno, so I do not see how 1.5k damage reduction could help.

My advice is go for a good quiver!!
    Mine is 90Dex, 57Vita, 12%ias, +7max disc, +0.47Hatred/sec and a socket, for a required level of 52... you can find great items, and as the quiver is usable whatever your weapon is, it's a good investment.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    I take minimum 40k when hit in act3 inferno, so I do not see how 1.5k damage reduction could help.
    Just a quick note the damage reduction from shield comes pretty close to being the last step after all damage reductions are finished, so it actually gets better the more reductions you have. A good shield with high block chance and decent amount will increase your mitigation by a lot. I think it goes damage reduction from armor, and then that is put into resistances, and then that has the block amount subtracted from it.

Not saying everyone needs a shield though, just pointing out that it really is more than 1.2k subtracted from 40k.

IncGamers Member

For a Demon Hunter the most important mitigation from a shield probably won't be the block chance, but instead will be the huge amount of armor and possibility of getting more all res. The problem with blocking on a DH is that we don't have any passive defensive abilities to increase our res or armor, so we don't mitigate the damage much before it gets to the shield's integer damage blocking.
    Ex:
    A demon hunter with 50% DR from armor and 50% DR from res (75% overall DR), using a Sacred Shield (4206 average damage per block) effectively blocks, on average, 4206*100/(100-75) = 16824 damage from each blocked attack.
    A barbarian with 70% DR from armor and 70% DR from res (91% DR), using the same shield blocks, on average, 4206*100/(100-91) = 46733 damage from each blocked attack. Oh, and that's not taking into account that barbs and monks have 30% innate damage reduction. So that becomes 93.7% DR total, 4206*100/(100-93.7)= 66761 damage blocked per attack. Plus they're in melee so they're blocking more often, whereas a Demon Hunter's main concern is in my experience to avoid being one-shotted by the few attacks that she can't get out of the way of.

I'm not sure it will ever make more sense to use two one-handed crossbows at the same time, though I admit there are lots of things about this game I haven't yet grasped. Quivers can give up to 15% ias, plus dexterity, vitality, crit chance, etcetera. It will depend on which stats carry over from one weapon to the other (stacking crit damage % ? doubling up on IAS?), if any. If you choose a shield you get extra defenses, can stack chance to crit a little higher (10% max vs 8.5% max on a quiver from my auction house research), and might end up being tougher to kill.

I need to do some experimentation on the subject, I suppose. XD

IncGamers Member

Quivers can give up to 15% ias
    Legendary Quivers (one of the few legendaries that actually seem pretty good) can hit 20% IAS.

If block worked to block a hit completely, then with a high block chance shield and DH dex, it might even make Inferno somewhat vaguely survivable. Possibly even to the point where it would be worth the steep loss of damage from no IAS. But that doesn't seem to be how they work, so to me a quiver is the only thing worth putting in that off hand.

IncGamers Member

As a DH, u don't need a shield, when u have abilities like Smokescreen. Go with a 2 hand Xbow + Quiver imo.

IncGamers Member

Smokescreen isn't enough. The duration is terribad, and you can't move through packs (for escaping things like 3 sided waller walls).

In order to barely function in Inferno, I need both Smokescreen AND Vault, and I still die with grim regularity.

IncGamers Member

A shield isn't going to save u from a waller pack either. U are better off going for pure damage and using Smokescreen + Caltrops to kill them before they get to u. Sure, there are some mobs which will still kill u, like Phasebeasts and Soul Lashers... but trust me, a shield isn't going to do a thing against them.

IncGamers Member

but trust me, a shield isn't going to do a thing against them.
    so to me a quiver is the only thing worth putting in that off hand.
    For future reference, please actually read what people write before you respond to them.

IncGamers Member

A shield could make the difference between being killed by a lasher you didn't see in one hit or surviving the attack to smoke screen. It's just a bit difficult to stomach the dps loss...