Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    IncGamers Member

Re: The inferno wizard - common builds and gear choices

Quote Originally Posted by Frostlion View Post
    Does your build use Hydra as its main damage?
    Then Attack Speed is for you. The damage Hydra does is increased by Attack Speed as if it were firing 15% more. As icing on the cake, casting the Hydra is sped up as well.

Is Hydra your main damage skill?
    Hydra has a constant firing speed regardless of the attack speed of your weapon. The damage it does per bolt is purely based on your DPS. This means it does exactly the same with a slow 1000DPS weapon or a fast 1000DPS weapon. The only difference is that you cast the Hydra faster with a higher attack speed weapon, making a faster weapon slightly more useful. But since you only need to cast Hydra every 15 seconds, this effect is marginal.

This seems like a contradiction. Please clarify. Thanks.

IncGamers Member

I think that attack speed affects the damage per tick from the poison. Each tick does greater damage with more attack speed, but the hydra fires at a unchanged rate.

Hey erussell,

This is indeed a confusing point, but it is precisely the difference between faster weapons and the IAS stat. altima already roughly explained it, but to got into it some more:

The speed of a weapon does not 'change' its DPS, it is how the base DPS is already calculated and displayed on the weapon. And since you're sorting weapons based on DPS anyway, you automatically take the speed into account already. In a certain tier, you might have a slow weapon that is at 1.0 speed and does 150 damage per hit, or a fast weapon at 1.5 speed that does 100 damage per hit. Both will display as 150DPS and both will give you the same damage output for Hydra. So whichever you use, the Damage from Hydra will be - say - 150 per shot; and the number of shots will be the same, because it is based purely on the DPS, regardless of weapon speed.

However, if you have IAS on another item, it will actually increase your DPS from what is listed. A 10% speed increase will change your DPS by 10% from 150 DPS to 165DPS. The Hydra will still shoot the same number of times, but the shots will now do 165 damage per hit. (The same effect as if it fired 10% more shots at the old 150 damage each.)

To put it another way: higher speed always makes Hydra do more damage. However, the high damage from a high speed weapon is already shown in its DPS. So if you looked at both the DPS and the speed of a weapon, you'd be counting the bonus double.

IncGamers Member

Edit: Realized this is not the right thread to post my own build and ask for advice prolly.

So i just leave the 2nd half of what i had to say which is: Thanks for amazing op it helped me a ton.

Last edited by Artagas; 27-07-2012 at 21:51.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frostlion View Post

Disintegrate / Ray of Frost
    slow weapon: 100 damage per second, 10 AP spent per second
    fast weapon: 100 damage per second, 20 AP spent per secondSlow is a lot more effective, because it does the same DPS, for less AP

Arcane Orb
    slow weapon: 2 attacks for 400 damage each. 800 damage total, 70 AP spent.
    fast weapon: 4 attacks for 200 damage each. 800 damage total, 140 AP spent.
    Slow is a lot more effective, because it does the same DPS, for less AP
    Hey Guys - I simply do not understand this - With a fast Weapon for the Disintegrate / Ray of Frost why whouldn't the increased attack speed and increased AP spent equal more attacks which would mean more damage. In theory, If RoF is firing off faster, the ticks should go faster and it would mean more DPS per sec?

In relation to Arcane Orb - Why does the increased number of attacks decrease the the damage per orb? For example - with the faster weapon with 4 attacks, why isn't it 4 attacks at 400 damage each?

Great post - And thanks in advance for the help.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reximus View Post
    Hey Guys - I simply do not understand this - With a fast Weapon for the Disintegrate / Ray of Frost why whouldn't the increased attack speed and increased AP spent equal more attacks which would mean more damage. In theory, If RoF is firing off faster, the ticks should go faster and it would mean more DPS per sec?

In relation to Arcane Orb - Why does the increased number of attacks decrease the the damage per orb? For example - with the faster weapon with 4 attacks, why isn't it 4 attacks at 400 damage each?

Great post - And thanks in advance for the help.
    They are referring to two different weapons, not the same weapon used with more Increased Attack Speed gear. For example, a 1h mace with 1.2 attacks per second and high damage per hit compared to a dagger with 1.5 attacks per second with lower damage per hit.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I will probably not be updating this guide to include the patch changes from 1.0.4; at least not in the next few weeks.

I have hardly been playing recently and been fairly busy with real life. While I am sure I will try the game again with the patch coming out, I doubt I will have the time to figure out all the new details and completely rewrite the main guide. In fact, if anyone more active is willing to take over this guide, I would certainly welcome the chance to pass it on.

For those who missed this in the main post, I am sorry to say that I will probably not get a chance to update this guide in the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by Frostlion; 26-03-2013 at 07:56.