Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: The inferno wizard - common builds and gear choices

Quote Originally Posted by jamesisbest View Post
    Force Weapon got nerfed in 1.03. As far as I can tell it's always only a 15 bonus. This may need some more testing to confirm. Also with monsters hitting for a lot less now, prismatic armor is better than force armor when well geared. You will rarely get hit more than 35% of your health with it on (and usually far less) with good resistances.
    Force weapon was always just 15%, but the damage display was wrong and it added 30-32% instead. The damage was still just 15%, pre-patch. Someone did some testing in these forums to prove that.

IncGamers Member

Frost Lion, I had to register and thank you for this excellent guide. My wizard always felt capable from Normal to Hell, but as with most folks, Inferno took a little reevaluation. Using some of your tips and information, I went on my own from there and riffed a bit to make a build I'm very happy with right now.

Since the beginning of Hell difficulty, my wiz was loosely based around the cold damage archetype. Blizzard (runed for AP reduction) dealt okay AOE damage, Venom Hydra supplemented that with substantially better AOE damage, and while those two spells merrily ticked away, I blasted baddies with Ray of Frost (AP reduction) both for additional DPS and to get that hands-on sense of destruction. At the time, I rounded things out with Teleport (Fracture), Force Weapon, and Force Armor. My passives were Glass Cannon, Cold Blooded and Astral Presence.

Things switched up in Inferno. Taking your advice, I geared up to get my armor and resistances where they needed to be. After much deliberation, I decided to dump Force Weapon in favor of Mirror Image (Duplicates) and re-runed Teleport to Wormhole. That was a great move, because Wormhole is the D3 equivalent of the double-jump (more like triple or quadruple jump, really). It gives you great mobility, escape options, AND you can cover vast distances in an instant when you need to.

To take full advantage of Mirror Image and Teleport, I swapped Illusionist in place of Cold Blooded. However, I felt I was sacrificing too much damage after losing both that and Force Weapon (which I feel much better about not having now that I can see the damage really is only 15%). That's where your information about attack speed came in handy. I bought a nice two-handed staff with 1.00 attack per second. That made a HUGE difference on AP spending. It was absolutely incredible--so much so that I dropped Astral Presence and brought back Cold Blooded. Now I have no real problems with AP consumption, Blizzard is much improved as a damage skill, Ray of Frost delivers huge, delicious gobs of DPS (great for bosses and elites), and I have decent defense and crowd control options. Casting speed could be better, but there's a downside to everything.

I've flirted with the idea of replacing Mirror Image with Frost Nova to fit the cold theme, but am loathe to lose a skill benefiting from Illusionist. I also wonder if it might not be worth replacing Venom Hydra with Frost Hydra for the Cold Blooded boost. Is Venom Hydra the best option regardless?

Anyway, sorry for the novel of a post here, but I'm pretty excited about how well things have been going.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by camras View Post
    I also wonder if it might not be worth replacing Venom Hydra with Frost Hydra for the Cold Blooded boost. Is Venom Hydra the best option regardless?
    In my experience, not only does frost hydra not freeze enemies very often, it doesnt do much damage either. Ive always stuck with Venom Hydra for both kiting and just standing there eating the melee damage.

At this point I'm so overgeared for Act II, I mostly just stand there and take it while my Venom Hydra, Blizzard, and Ray of Frost burn them down. Once I replace my weapon and get my DPS up close to 30k, I'll move onto Act III where I still have to kite in some cases, but I'm not afraid of dying. At this point, I can clear elites in Act II at least twice as fast as I can in Act III, so my chance for i63s are higher in Act II .

IncGamers Member

Thanks for the feedback! Frost Hydra initially turned me off because of the short range. I like that I can drop one Venom Hydra and not really worry about recasting unless there's a lot of kiting going on. And if Frost Hydra is pretty unimpressive damage-wise to boot, then thematic appropriateness can get bent. I'm a pragmatist first, after all.

IncGamers Member

First of all, great post, used it to basically faceroll Inferno Act 1, but have been stuck on Act 2. Just farming Act 1 for drops.

BUT!! have you looked into prismatic armor over force armor? Damaged has dropped in inferno, so I tried prismatic armor and it's 2x more faceroll for Act 1. Literally just running full speed through it while blasting away, maybe 1 weird death for a full run. Plus, I am now able to progress in Act 2. Although farming Act 1 really really really fast is more preferable, imo.

Basically, I'm shooting for high resist, high life regen and high crit build.

Thank you all very much for your praise, feedback and suggestions, it is great to hear this guide has been a help to so many people.

As for some of the specific comments:

GemofIndia, Although it would be great to have a hardcore section, I simply haven't played enough hardcore Inferno to comment on it in any sensible way (my hardcore wizard has only just hit Hell and its scary!)

Pijus, azolin and Deced, when I tried myself a while ago, Deep Cut's bleed effect did not heal me with a 'Life on Hit' item, although the base healing was higher than with other runes. I will see if I get a chance to confirm this (and I will take a look at Venom as well. Regardless though, the proc chance is massive for a multi-target spell, even without the bleed proc, so I added it as a skill to use just like meteor for a crit-proc build.

jamesisbest and PhoeniX Skye, force weapon is indeed just 15%, I updated the main post to reflect that. I kept it as the main choice for now, since most wizards seem to be sticking with it, but added some more notes about possible alternatives.

camras and drkwood, I would agree that venom hydra easily beats out frost hydra on damage and since you already have a frost build, you don't need the bit of extra disabling from the frost hydra for an optimal build. If you like the cold flavor though, you can easily get by when switching them out, although it will loose you a decent chunk of DPS.

Zhet, thank you very much for your suggestion. Since the last patch I have indeed been keeping my ear to the ground for alternatives to Energy Armor when you get your stats up enough to withstand big hits and others mentioned prismatic armor as well. Your post actually got me to do some quick math on it though, and you are right that it is pretty significant. At 500 resist all, the damage you take is cut down by about a fifth. I will test this on my own wizard this weekend and update the guide.

Last edited by Frostlion; 15-07-2012 at 12:14.

IncGamers Member

This is as far as I know, the most comprehensive list of LoH for Wizards. It lists Deep Cuts as having an 88% (higher than other Spec Blades) LoH return per triple hit, with no return on bleed procs. Which would seem to align with your own experiences. I always assumed that the higher value compared to other Spectral Blade returns was a misreading of the hit + bleed return. However, I just tested it myself, and you appear to be correct, I received no healing ticks from bleed procs whatsoever.

However, I re-confirmed my Arcane Dynamo method, and that still stands. If you Deep Cuts a zombie and start walking away, you receive Flashes of Insight while you're moving away from the monster. I also re-checked Critical Mass, and it still appears to rapidly lower my recasts. I can gather five zombies, Deep Cut them, immediately pop Diamond Skin, and watch my recast tick way faster than it would if not for Critical Mass. And that's popping Diamond Skin after Spec Blades, so it's not the normal hits doing it.

Which is weird, there's no real good reason LoH wouldn't work with the same proc coefficients as Critical Mass and Arcane Dynamo. Every other evidence I can think of seems to conclude that they should all share the proc coefficient, and there are a few Blizzard CM posts that seem to suggest the same thing. Either we're missing something, or Deep Cuts is buggy.

IncGamers Member

Great guide!

Not sure if it was already mentioned, but you left out Conflagration, which I found to be a very useful passive for the melee wizard CM builds. You can use either Shock Pulse (Fire Bolts) or Spectral Blades (Deep Cuts) w/ a Fire elemental weapon to easily apply it to enemies, and it's a great alternative to Glass Cannon. You get a 10% damage debuff for ALL your damage, without sacrificing your defenses (which are extremely important for a melee wiz). This becomes especially pronounced when you play multiplayer, as every party member benefits from the 10% damage debuff (it's not a buff to you like Coldblooded or Glass Cannon).

Strangely, there aren't too many fire damaging spells in the Wizard's arsenal, and the only other two that can really trigger Conflagration are meteors and Sparkflint familiar. The former is too costly (especially now that they changed Star Pact to arcane damage) and the latter is just single target. Still, if you're trying a melee wizard build, I would highly recommend picking up Fire Bolts or a fire damage weapon with Spectral Blades and going with Conflagration.

Hey Cebo,

That is a great point! I actually didn't know about the spectral blades + fire damage weapon trick, although that is consistent with other ways I've seen spectral blade work (like freezing enemies with cold damage weapons). I'm a bit behind on finishing my 1.0.3b update, but when I'm completing that, I'll add Conflagration as well

BattleTag Xuu-6972

Quote Originally Posted by Cebo View Post
    Not sure if it was already mentioned, but you left out Conflagration, which I found to be a very useful passive for the melee wizard CM builds. You can use either Shock Pulse (Fire Bolts) or Spectral Blades (Deep Cuts) w/ a Fire elemental weapon to easily apply it to enemies, and it's a great alternative to Glass Cannon. You get a 10% damage debuff for ALL your damage, without sacrificing your defenses (which are extremely important for a melee wiz). This becomes especially pronounced when you play multiplayer, as every party member benefits from the 10% damage debuff (it's not a buff to you like Coldblooded or Glass Cannon).

Strangely, there aren't too many fire damaging spells in the Wizard's arsenal, and the only other two that can really trigger Conflagration are meteors and Sparkflint familiar. The former is too costly (especially now that they changed Star Pact to arcane damage) and the latter is just single target. Still, if you're trying a melee wizard build, I would highly recommend picking up Fire Bolts or a fire damage weapon with Spectral Blades and going with Conflagration.
    Wow!
    I don't know about that, i thought it only came from just skills but from WEAPON element!
    That is HUGE.
    Since i used Spec blade, it would give me/my party additional damage source than Arcane Dynamo(since i only have this as a filler passive).