Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: The inferno wizard - common builds and gear choices

Good thread, can't wait for it to be complete. You should add Arcane Dynamo as well, it's a good choice for those who use sig. spells, after the two almost essential passives Glass Cannon and Illusionist.

BattleTag melianor-2318

This needs a sticky
    This needs a link in the Wizard Knowledge library! Great job frostlion! Keep that uptodate. It has alot of nicely summarzied information for the endgame!

I updated the thread with info on what to use in your weapon slots.

One thing I haven't really gone into there is weapon speed, mainly because I haven't had enough experience with weapon speed to see how important it is. Does anyone have some information on that which I could add to the main post?

Thanks in advance.

IncGamers Member

Thumbs up Re: The inferno wizard - common builds and gear choices

I don't use these forums but I registered especially so I could express my appreciation to Frostlion for this post.

I've trawled through I lot of posts and 'guides' since purchasing D3 and there is a lot of opinions out there. Things often get bogged down by squabbling over abilities or strategy 1 vs strategy 2 and other guidance is too one-dimensional. i.e. "here's my build, here's my stats, do this".

This post is a great overview of what's proving popular and effective so far with room for choice.

I hope you continue to update.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frostlion View Post

One thing I haven't really gone into there is weapon speed, mainly because I haven't had enough experience with weapon speed to see how important it is. Does anyone have some information on that which I could add to the main post?

Thanks in advance.
    What I've personally read has been somewhat conflicting. There seems to be no strong consensus on the distinction between weapon speed VS attack speed and how they influence damage, animation and AP consumption. Beams just seem to further confuse things.

Plenty of people are happy to talk with presumed authority on the subject but they don't tend to agree!

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Malentros-1414

Thank you for this post. Very informative and well presented. Also, great job explaining how evenly stacking multiple modifiers of mitigation or damage that multiply together is more beneficial than stacking just one. A lot of people don't intuitively grasp this and believe stacking only "the best" modifier is always the route to go.

I find with my build (blizzard hydra) that IAS affects gameplay STYLE more than dps. What I mean by this is that I may rune differently because of the way, mechanically, the skills work when it takes longer to cast them. I recently switched to a slower casting 2 handed sword from my wand/essence combo because of a major damage upgrade and higher base damage on the weapon affecting (I thought at the time) the overall damage of venom hydra.

What I noticed as that my blizzard skill runed for cheap casting was less effective than before because I couldn't just toss 3 or 4 out there and slow EVERYthing down. I now runed it for larger area of effect, and just cast it carefully once and hope to snare everybody. Otherwise, I'm standing still too long and need to start kiting before I'm even doing any real damage. Also, I have to be very careful to be sure the hydra cast, because I was used to casting very quickly (I had an extra 30% IAS on those two items), I sometimes cast while the other spell is still in cast animation and the second spell doesn't queue up - it just ignores the keystroke/click.

And I can say from anecdotal experience that you will have more trouble teleporting out of trouble. This occurs for two reasons - one, you may still be casting a previous spell, so you have to wait longer to BEGIN the cast - and two, the actual teleport cast time IS affected, so there's a solid chance it could get interrupted by a knockback or other similar mechanic. Again, this is anecdotal, but it's a change I've noticed over the last day or two playing with the slower two hander. Given my playstyle, the Faster attack is helpful, especially since I like to spam a signature between blizzard and hydra casts. I tend to alternate between seeker and lightning orbs.

Inferno act 2 solo (mostly) wizard by the way. 20k dps and ~25k health unbuffed

(Thanks for the guide. The pool of knowledge was so scattered until this post!)

Because of the contradictory information on weapon speed, I decided to do a quick test myself. I simply took off all my gear, removed all my buffs and passives and used white weapons.

This is me spamming Arcane Orbs with a 1.4 speed 1-handed broadsword.
    This is me spamming Arcane Orbs with a 0.9 speed 2-handed club.

You can clearly see that the slower weapon launches projectiles more slowly and drains AP more slowly.

The same is true for Magic Missile, a signature spell that is fired faster with a faster weapon.

The same is true for Disintegrate, a channeling spell that drains AP faster with a faster weapon. In fact, the effect here is much more pronounced, because the drain is battling regeneration and the time you can keep going with a slower weapon is about double that of the faster weapon.

It also works for Hydra and Blizzard, being cast faster with a faster weapon.

However, the same is not true for Teleport (Wormhole).
    With a 0.9 speed 2-hander, you can teleport 4 times in the 1 second window.
    With a 1.4 speed 1-hander, you can teleport 4 times in the 1 second window.
    With a 1.4 speed 1-hander and 41% additional IAS from other items, you can teleport 4 times in the 1 second window.

Testing damage is a lot more tricky because of damage ranges on weapons, different defenses on monsters etc., but the only thing that makes sense in my mind is that the listed weapon DPS does actually correspond to DPS, meaning the slower projectiles do more damage per hit. This would mean disintegrate does the same amount of damage per second it is channeled for equal DPS weapons, regardless of their speed.

I will see if I can update the main post today to include this information and explain what it means for item choices.

Last edited by Frostlion; 07-06-2012 at 09:57.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galtrovan View Post
    Tested Evocation again. Tool tips remain wrong, but Evocation is functional. Tested Frost Nova, Diamond Skin, and Wave of Force.
    I tested Archon with Pure Power on day 3 of the game, and it double works. First, Archon's cooldown is reduced to 100s. And then 15% is taken off of that number to drop it down to 85. Since the skill always 'runs' for at least 15s you're guaranteed to never spend more than 70s outside of Archon form.

But otherwise Evocation seems silly. It saves about 2 seconds on skills with a 15s cooldown. Yeah, that can be important, but Critical Mass can do the same thing. For Disintergrate or Orbs, use Crticial Mass. For Teleport, use Illusionist.

IncGamers Member

I think the main problem is that you have proven with those screen shots that attack speed is actually cast rate (which I think we all knew). But you omitted the main part, damage.
    People seem to advice others to use fast weapons and Ias. While it's fine with me if I can find cheaper slow 2h weapons I am puzzled to why people do that.
    I'd be curious of comparisons, I never did any, but last time I compared my Blizzard damage to someone with fast setup, he did 2k damage per tick and I did 6 (this was quite some while ago).
    I have the suspicion that arcane orb works same way.
    According to my current knowledge I'd only recommend fast speed to someone that doesn't use any real AP consuming spell like blizz or arcane orb but prefer sig spells and can stand in once place a lot to cast a lot of them.
    I mean - why should I shoot 3 arcane orbs for 15k damage each if I can cast 3 for 45k each? Considering that it's resource consuming...
    I can understand why people with tap the source would do that, it might work. I use the piercing rune however and very often I do manage to not cap my AP a lot.
    It's possible that I know something wrong but the tens of threads I read always missed to explain this part somehow and focused on how cast animation is different, which I don't really care about.

About wormhole: I only tried it once about a week ago. it seemed to me that it only gives you 1 extra teleport. Tried several times and the 3rd teleport never worked, instead when Teleport went off cd it automagically teleported me to the place where I would have been if it worked during wormhole... (so seems a bug).
    Was this changed recently? I never noticed to have huge lag to affect this, if we can trust the in game lag meter the slightest.