OS = Ubuntu 11.04
This is my 2nd patch since getting Diablo III, and both times I had major down time. The senario was similar both times.
1 Start D3 as usual
2 Checks game and starts to download a patch.
3 Download complete.
4 Click PLAY and it freezes at Launching...
5 Search Internet and try every fix posted and nothing works.
Everything seems to work except the game will not start after the patch. I look in the updater log (~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Diablo III/Logs/Blizzard Updater Log.html) says The update was successful. I also noticed that it would repeat the patch process every time I tried to start D3. It was as if there was a file that was supposed to tell it that the patch was complete but the file was not being updated properly.
I started poking through the file
And I noticed there were 2 locations in the file with these 3 lines:
"patch_application_complete" : false,
"perform_ogg_to_wav" : false,
"download_complete" : false,
The lines are located at 196, 197, 198 and 246, 247, 248 in my file.
I made a backup of the file and then changed the 3 lines in both locations, to:
"patch_application_complete" : true,
"perform_ogg_to_wav" : true,
"download_complete" : true,
I started D3 one more time and lo and behold it said it was up to date! I clicked the PLAY button and it WORKED!