Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: What are Gems for?

Do we know what the best items will be yet (I'm not sure if it's already been figured out or not... even if it has though, it seems certain to change between the coming reworking of items and legendaries as well as future expansions that are bound to come).

If they simply reworked the best items in the game as having a gem slot as a bonus to the regular amount of affixes for an equivalent rare, it seems that would go a long way towards fixing this. Having the slot take up an affix in medicore items doesn't really trouble me, as the flexibility / low level twinking ability provided by those gems is still fantastic. You can socket that top tier gem into a new level one character, and will instantly have a weapon better than any perfect affix he or she could get for the next many, many levels.

In general though, I see your point and it makes good sense.

I won't wear a helm without a socket, and a weapon has to be exceptional for me to go without.

I really don't see why they don't remove Sockets as an Affix altogether and allow the Blacksmith to add them to items above a given level. It could even be an extra gold sink - 25k for one socket, 75k for the second socket and 225k for the third.

No sockets <10.
    One socket 11-25.
    Two sockets 26-45.
    Three sockets >46.

Given the power of Inferno mobs I really don't think the possibility of adding 174 of a single stat is going to ruin the balance of things.

Shen is a jeweller, right? He isn't a gemstone trader. It would be great if he could combine gems to create jewels.

As it is, there are already two kinds of stat affixes available - one that is for a single stat and gets very high, and another that is a combination of two stat's. You could roll the single affix and get 150 Vit or you could roll the double affix and get 75 Vit and 75 Dex. Combine a Perfect Square Amethyst with a Perfect Square Emerald and you get a new jewel that gives +25 Vit and +25 Dex.

The more gems that go into a jewel, and the higher level those gems are, the more interesting the effects become. Combine a Perfect Star Emerald with a Flawless Square Amethyst and a Chipped Topaz for a jewel that provides 5% Blind On Hit when socketed in a weapon, -3% Crowd Control when used in a Helm or +5% Physical Resist anywhere else.

For extra mayhem, the combining of three Radiant Stars of different types will always produce a random, but guaranteed decent, effect.

The possibilities really are endless... but so long as sockets remain an affix I think it is pointless.

IncGamers Member

removing sockets from affix list and make it independent would cause nerf of gems or items without socket would be just weak and thrown away.

But I would like to see some crating options for gems...like making rings and amulets...or something like that. But we will see if they will come with something

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by xManiaCCCx View Post
    removing sockets from affix list and make it independent would cause nerf of gems or items without socket would be just weak and thrown away.
    That's not the conclusion from my analysis; I'm stating that since gems are very weak as of right now (54 to a single stat for 15 mil gold), you need a good incentive to use them. Having sockets as an affix does the opposite; on a perfect piece of gear that isn't a helm or a weapon, you probably want to avoid the affix altogether.

By having it as a non affix, and balancing the game around -not- having gems, they would become key to overpowering game content and having an item-based edge in PvP, making them feel more like bonuses than mandatory. This creates long-term retention, and it fulfils the gold sink role perfectly. Which right now, it does not.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greizer View Post
    If sockets wouldn't take up an affix space, every item would have to have them as a no-brainer choice. This is why they were made an affix only - people were running to socket items all the time and it just became an uninteresting chore.
    Or, and I know this is radical thinking, but they could have gone the Diablo 2 route and made the ability to socket items a resource.

"Scrolls of Socketing" or some such. Items are more awesome with more mods.

BattleTag starrise-1321

I must disagree with your weapon and helm slot assessment. The way I see it helms have three excellent choices that beat out some of the best affix rolls for SOME classes. For example: barbarians should want the amethyst +% life as that translates directly into +% healing for their revenge skill. Once things are balanced, other classes may want to simply stack +% gold or magic find (though it may take a LONG time to offset the cost of making perfect star gems by farming). One interesting idea might be a +radius build for Witch Doctors (not viable now, but give the devs a month and we'll see if they aren't efficient gold farmers).

As for weapons, amethysts again are pretty solid with their +500 life on hit. No affix roll comes close to this, and +life on hit is quite useful for every class. I will agree the others are mostly garbage, though its possible for a pure DPS build the +100% crit damage might start adding up for crit builds. If your crit is 30% (definitely possible) then +100% crit damage is +30% dps (barring overkill), which, again, beats just about any mod except more elemental/physical/+% damage/%attack speed. But since you can have a weapon socket with +phys +elemental +%dmg +attack speed (haha good luck finding that weapon), it doesn't necessarily limit weapons from having the absolute highest dps. Unless there are hidden problems and this can't actually roll up (that would be nice to know though).

Definitely a very nice post, thank you!

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by BryanM View Post
    Or, and I know this is radical thinking, but they could have gone the Diablo 2 route and made the ability to socket items a resource.

"Scrolls of Socketing" or some such. Items are more awesome with more mods.
    Initially, they had the Blacksmith provide your gear with sockets. Would it be too much asked to have the option come back, for a certain cost + tomes of the appropriate item level? I know I'm coming back to this a lot, but gems aren't going to offer the long term retention they're looking for if, err, they take the space of another affix up while providing less stats and cost over 15 million gold to craft. How could they let such a flawed system ship in?

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by starrise View Post
    I must disagree with your weapon and helm slot assessment. The way I see it helms have three excellent choices that beat out some of the best affix rolls for SOME classes. For example: barbarians should want the amethyst +% life as that translates directly into +% healing for their revenge skill. Once things are balanced, other classes may want to simply stack +% gold or magic find (though it may take a LONG time to offset the cost of making perfect star gems by farming). One interesting idea might be a +radius build for Witch Doctors (not viable now, but give the devs a month and we'll see if they aren't efficient gold farmers).

As for weapons, amethysts again are pretty solid with their +500 life on hit. No affix roll comes close to this, and +life on hit is quite useful for every class. I will agree the others are mostly garbage, though its possible for a pure DPS build the +100% crit damage might start adding up for crit builds. If your crit is 30% (definitely possible) then +100% crit damage is +30% dps (barring overkill), which, again, beats just about any mod except more elemental/physical/+% damage/%attack speed. But since you can have a weapon socket with +phys +elemental +%dmg +attack speed (haha good luck finding that weapon), it doesn't necessarily limit weapons from having the absolute highest dps. Unless there are hidden problems and this can't actually roll up (that would be nice to know though).

Definitely a very nice post, thank you!
    Yes, I agree with this, and I believe I did underline some viability for some slots in futher posts I've made. I'll probably correct the OP. My point, though, was that the VAST majority of slots (10 out of 12 possible slots) were underpowered when compared to other possible affixes. Helmet and weapon are the exceptions. Regardless of this, if sockets were available on demand for players, as they initially were planned to, gems would feel like a bonus no matter what their stats are, so I feel that this is a larger issue than the stats themselves.

edit: By chatting with other players, I came to remember that the Blacksmith artisan was initially planned to be able to add sockets, as opposed to having them randomly appear as an item affix.
    It would appear that in the rush to release the game, they might not have had time to add and / or balance, such a functionallity, opting rather to have sockets as an affix, perhaps foreseeing an uproar at the suggestion of entirely removing gems... so they went ahead with it anyway, without buffing gems to affix levels, without exactly thinking of the consequences of omitting to do so.

Last edited by ElementEight; 02-06-2012 at 15:21.

IncGamers Member

IncGamers Member

So, they claim the following: When adding sockets to items was inserted into that equation, it made it feel mandatory to return to town every time an upgrade dropped to pull the gem from your current item, add a socket to the new one, and carry your gem forward

The easy solution: Add a hefty cost to socketing.

This has two implications:

1) Twinks never feel like they "have" to do it whenever they recieve an upgrade, because twinks tend to upgrade weapons much less than regular characters.

2) Gems become, side' from twinks, an actual end-game element, where upgrading is much less common, and therefore, feels less burdensome.

Though I must say, if you feel like going to town to improve your gear is a chore, you probably shouldn't play the game in the first place, given that its ultimate goal is to kill and click for more gear. How could one spit on such an easy upgrade? Pah.