Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Ultimate monk guide

First, you need to reach level 60. That's easy, since the market is overflooded with cheap, high damage weapons. Get one of those and replace it every 7-10 levels or so. If you can, a socket can really kick up your early damage with a ruby. You should dual weild. You should also socket a helm with such to boost your experience. Every piece of gear you wear should include dexterity, vitality and attack speed. Anything else can be nice, but superfluous.

Skills and runes you choose hardly matter at this point, but I suggest a mix of the following. Don't get two mantras, and don't get two generators.

Fist of Thunder
    Crippling Wave
    Sweeping Wind
    Breath of Heaven
    Serenity
    Mantra of Conviction
    Mantra of Healing

As for passives, resolve, seize the initiative, guardian's path and transcendence are all good choices.

Once you hit 60, Inferno opens up.

Whip out one of the following items:

...and pick one resistance at random. Say, arcane.

Now, you'll sift through the auction house looking for items with: All resistances, arcane resistance, attack speed, dexterity, vitality, and many sockets.

Good values will look like this, kinda:

15-20% attack speed
    ~50 arcane resistance
    ~60 all resistances
    ~100+++ vitality
    ~100+++ dexterity
    1-3 sockets depending on the slot

Once you have every slot of gear with at least 3-4 of each stats, around such values, you're ready to use a new skillset! No, not really. Just go for runes that are more defense oriented, like concussion for crippling wave and so on.

Make sure you use the One With Everything passive. Your arcane resistance will turn into all resistance, giving you a big survivability boost. Oh, and Time of Need on Mantra of Healing is pretty kickass as well, improving that amount by another 20%.

Enjoy

IncGamers Member

Re: Ultimate monk guide

Good guide, sounds exactly right.

I'm only using one of your suggested skills, passives look okish. Also, no Near Death Experience?

Is this ironic? To be honest the only things I agree on are the attack speed and the serenity skill. Obviously the more dex/vit/+ res the better, but the other stuff is based on your preferences.
    One with everything is good when you need to stack res quickly at first, but after you get a little wealth you should switch to all res and free a passive slot. Don't understand why so many people disregard way of the hundred fists, it's pretty good. You might want to get life per spirit spent and spirit regen, also crit chance with a lot of builds. Also after reaching a relatively high hit points you'd like to stack a ton of dexterity not only for damage but for massive dodge. With high dodge and good attack speed you will barely get hit by melees. One final tip, damage isn't everything for a monk, I'd happily sacrifice some damage for more life per spirit and other mods. Sadly at this point that is really really expensive.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    Is this ironic? To be honest the only things I agree on are the attack speed and the serenity skill. Obviously the more dex/vit/+ res the better, but the other stuff is based on your preferences.
    One with everything is good when you need to stack res quickly at first, but after you get a little wealth you should switch to all res and free a passive slot. Don't understand why so many people disregard way of the hundred fists, it's pretty good. You might want to get life per spirit spent and spirit regen, also crit chance with a lot of builds. Also after reaching a relatively high hit points you'd like to stack a ton of dexterity not only for damage but for massive dodge. With high dodge and good attack speed you will barely get hit by melees. One final tip, damage isn't everything for a monk, I'd happily sacrifice some damage for more life per spirit and other mods. Sadly at this point that is really really expensive.

dex doesnt scale well the interresting regions of the dex to dodge ratio are beyond what any monk could ever achieve ; also In Inferno champions will be your biggest problem. and many critical effects cannot be dodged ; the only elemental that are dodgeable are that electricity thingy and mortar ; but stuff like molten / plague / firechains can downright melt your face even with extensive kiting.

so AR / all resist is the only way to go ; dodge is a bonus but its not reliable and does not work for many challanges at all.

I agree on that in part, it doesn't scale well. But achieving +50% is not that hard, using mantra of evasion and the passive that gives 15% dodge I'm at nearly 60% dodge and it makes a huge difference. You still need other defenses of course, that it's just a piece of the puzzle, but in my opinion it improves survivality in a great amount. I'm in inferno too. Try the Belial fight, you can stand still punching him and only move when he throws the meteors. Defeated him multiple times without barely getting hit. Not saying is god mode nor anything similar, just that it helps a lot.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by nolan16 View Post
    I'm only using one of your suggested skills, passives look okish. Also, no Near Death Experience?
    It's ok, they're just suggestions. I got to 60 in 3 days (not even playing all day) so it worked for me. Note that I had some gold for twinking up.

My experience with NDE is that if you procc it once, you'll probably procc it again. If you get in a situation where you die once, you probably will again, because it'll be the result of something cheesy (vortex+jailer+desecrate+x, for instance). Plus, by having less defense (you skip either 15% dodge, healing on spirit spent or 25% reduction for it), you obviously occasion more NDE proccs.

Dex/vit are necessary to have a minimum of; they provide the basic health pool, dodge and damage you'll be scaling off of. Attack speed is obviously necessary as well, as attacks = spirit = survival. I hardly see how you can skip on either Mantra of Healing or Conviction. Evasion suffers from severe diminishing returns, therefore making it inferior to Healing defensively, even more so then Time of Need is taken into consideration.

One with everything is good when you need to stack res quickly at first, but after you get a little wealth you should switch to all res and free a passive slot.
    No. You should stack more resistances. The goal of OWE is to have +all resists beyond what any other class can achieve, as resists are by far the best and most easily acquired purely defensive stat, beyond Vitality, which you will have if you've followed my item build.

Don't understand why so many people disregard way of the hundred fists, it's pretty good.
    It does less damage per second than FoT. Its attack speed is also lower, reducing spirit generation. It also doesn't knockback. The only thing it has going for it is some AoE, though barely when compared to Thunderclap or the 5th rune (chain lightning).

You might want to get life per spirit spent and spirit regen, also crit chance with a lot of builds.
    Life per spirit spent: Very rare mod, generally around 10 hps on the items I've seen (perhaps unlucky). Though, this means that a whole bulb gives you something like 1500 health. Laughable.

Spirit regen: Not worth the stats slot unless it happens to be there as like, the 6th stats. Spawns rarely as well, not that useful since the build only has Mantra of Healing to spam outside cooldowns. And you want it only once per 3 seconds. The cooldowns aren't very hungry themselves.

Also after reaching a relatively high hit points you'd like to stack a ton of dexterity not only for damage but for massive dodge. With high dodge and good attack speed you will barely get hit by melees.
    Dodge has big diminishing returns, especially through dex. It falls off a lot after 800 dex. Regardless of this, resistances scale the same way dodge would in terms of effective hit points.

For some reason, you seem to believe that dodge only works against melee attacks, which has me questionning your experience (the resistance comment ticked me off as well). What have you cleared, out of curiosity?

One final tip, damage isn't everything for a monk, I'd happily sacrifice some damage for more life per spirit and other mods. Sadly at this point that is really really expensive.
    Resistance also provides "life", which is much easier and cheaper to acquire than spirit-spent-to-health and regen. They can spawn on any pieces, too, unlike spirit related stuff.

IncGamers Member

Since when does dex/dodge not scale well? It scales _better_ than both armor and resists. Effective health scales linearly with armor. Your dodge chance scales linearly with dex, which means that your effective health scales super-linearly with dex.

If your dodge chance is kd where k is some constant and d is your dex, your chance to be hit is 1-kd, and your effective health multiplier is 1/(1-kd). This is asymptotic to infinity at d=1/k and grows much faster than any linear function.

People seem to be confused because dodge has breakpoints where additional points in dex have a lower benefit, but the scaling is still linear between breakpoints. You might only get .01% dodge per point of dex after 1000 (the last breakpoint) as opposed to .1% for each point below 100, but you will always get .01% per point above 1000, because the scaling is linear.

Maybe some numbers will help. Against mlvl 60 enemies:

1000 armor 25% DR +33.3% EHP
    2000 armor 40% DR +66.6% EHP
    3000 armor 50% DR +100% EHP
    4000 armor 57% DR +133.35 EHP

1000 dex 30% dodge +43% EHP
    2000 dex 40% dodge +66% EHP
    3000 dex 50% dodge +100% EHP
    4000 armor 60% dodge +150% EHP

At no point is dodge worse in terms of EHP than armor, and you can clearly the super-linear EHP scaling at work.

That isn't to say you want to dump everything into dex, you want a relatively even balance of dodge/resists/armor for best results, but dodge does not scale worse than other forms of mitigation, in fact it scales better.

Last edited by Athenau; 30-05-2012 at 19:50.

Athenau you are right, would have been better if we said diminishing returns. As a monk you get past the last breakpoint fairly quick.
    Elementeight I never said dodge only worked for melee to start. Second a mod being rare or that you haven't seen much doesn't mean it doesn't exist, I've seen items with 50 life per spirit, one of my weapons has nearly 40 to start with. The point you make about the resistances is valid though, stacking one kind + the all res mod might get nice resists, isn't there a cap or diminishing returns?
    About the spirit generators are you sure? I tried em all and hundred fists seems to out damage the others but not sure. Also I think it is fists of fury if I recall correctly acts similar as thunderclap, dashing and knockbacking, not sure about that too. Crippling wave is nice but seems to regenerate spirit more slowly, which can be a downside if you don't have decent spirit regeneration. Also does less damage. About the mantras, after the nerf to boon of protection I tried overawe for a while, but found the evasion mantras helped me more with survivality against elites. Now that I have better gear I might give a try with the healing one, although save the one with 20% res the others seem lackluster.

IncGamers Member

Sorry but for inferno fists of thunder is not a good choice. In fact, Deadly Reach + Keen armor glyphs are a MUST for starters in act 1 inferno. Crippling wave is a no-go compared to deadly reach because many mobs with shielding or invulnarable minions as well as archers and casters will not be affected by the -20% damage done glyph which would need to be used in order to survive. Mantra of healing with resistances or mantra for dodge with extra armor are the 2 best options atm. I'll agree for the passives and the other skills you mention. Someone here mentioned "why no near death experience passive?" The answer is simple: if you died once your probably going to die again very soon, you should invest your passive to help you take more damage, not to ignore death once every 90sec. Deadly reach also provides a ranged attack which saves you from walking into plague and with some good moving from molten and desectrator as well.

About the diminishing returns: what has been said above is right suggesting that your target is a lvl60 monster. A lvl61, 62, 63 or 64 monster in different acts will require MUCH more resistances before you resistances number starts to have bad diminishing returns. E.g. I have 770 resistances, vs a lvl60 target its about 60% dmg reduction if i can recall. But vs a lvl63 its more like 45-50% which means that there are still no heavy diminishing returns.