Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: What's the point of Spirit Barrage?

FYI, after doing some testing the extra bolts from well of souls cannot hit the main target of spirit barrage. It is clear in the description of the rune that it seeks out OTHER targets, but it seemed like in this thread that wasn't known. This makes the spell still do much, much lower damage single target than one would hope, and in my opinion makes the rune fairly worthless. In that situation, it's neither a good single target spell nor meaningful aoe. Bummer.

I guess I can't speak for the higher difficulty, but it's been pretty nice in boss fights, I use the rune that allows me to get my mana back so I can spam it while running and dodging. It requires like no aiming, so it's pretty low maintenance.

BattleTag ChaosMagika-2981

The most annoying thing with spirit barrage is that the only really useful rune, phantasm cannot demolish objects, doors and you cannot even complete the game if you use it as the only attack skill (vision quest).

And quite reasonable the other runes suck badly it needs either a serious damage boost or better reduced mana cost to the point where you can use it without vision quest.

IncGamers Member

I use it in Act I Inferno, and it has been extremely helpful in kiting since you don't haVe to aim. With the mana return rune, I can spam quite a few shots (without using RoE, Spirit Attune or Blood Ritual, and with PtV up). That's enough to clear most small packs/bring down at least one Elite, before using SW for the 30% regen.

Pure numbers aren't always everything when kiting for survival :( Haunt does sound pretty useful, but personally I haven't tested it out much yet...

Spirit Barrage is pretty useless compared to other abilities. The mana cost is 11x that of Poison Dart but it only does 10% more damage. Being able to go over walls / auto target is hardly worth that increase in mana cost. Also, it really seems to cast even slower than Poison Dart and has a weaker range I think. In order to reduce the mana cost you end up having to take 2 or 3 mana passives basically.

The runes aren't very useful either. You die too quickly for Phlebotomize to be very helpful outside of when you narrowly escape death with Spirit Vessel or Spirit Walk. Well of Souls is surprisingly bad... I'm sure most people thought that the extra missiles would not just be melee range.

Phantasm is probably the best rune, but just like Acid Cloud it's not that great because of how fast monsters move. Even if you use 80% Grasp, monsters will still run right through your AoE. Rain of Toads is a better AoE ability as it lasts for less time but does more DPS and has a lower mana cost. I agree though that against bosses Phantasm is very useful.

Haunt isn't much better to be honest. The damage isn't so bad, it's about the same as Locust Swarm. But the fact that you have to target enemies individually makes it way worse than Locust Swarm. Grasping Spirit is probably the best rune and could probably be pretty good in some builds. But the other ones aren't so great.

The bottom line with Haunt is that most people don't want to use a DoT they have to target on individual enemies 100% of the time. It just doesn't do enough damage for this playstyle to make sense. Although it can be useful when kiting elites.

Clearly you can use Haunt with Spirit Barrage to kill enemies with the DoT using Spirit Barrage to have it spread. But that seems like a tedious playstyle to me. Especially when you consider how well Haunt works through doorways...

IncGamers Member

Weaker range? It definitely does not. And it doesn't need line of sight the way poison dart does.Spirit Barrage is without doubt the best, single target, long range spammable spell the witch doctor has. It is the easiest way to kill elites with invulnerable minions. It is not that expensive with the mana gain rune either, and as everyone's items improve, phlebotomise will look more and more attractive.Haunt: Draining Spirit makes it one of only 3 spammable spells that can actually gain you mana. The targeting on both spells is simply so good, no other skill - of any class - targets as well as these two.

IncGamers Member

Just thought of something else though - how long your mana lasts depends greatly on your attack speed. With an extremely fast attack speed, spirit barrage would be unsustainable. Since they are nerfing attack speed items in 1.03, this will actually weaken poison dart strategies, and so indirectly boost everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrakhath View Post
    Just thought of something else though - how long your mana lasts depends greatly on your attack speed. With an extremely fast attack speed, spirit barrage would be unsustainable. Since they are nerfing attack speed items in 1.03, this will actually weaken poison dart strategies, and so indirectly boost everything else.
    you run dry in 6 casts. it doesn't matter if it's in 2.5 seconds or 4.

as long as I'll come around 2.0+ APS I'm fine with attack speed nerf. with the patch you have 10 slots available that can be filled with attack speed. 4 of which are non-legendary options.

I just wanna stress how awesome Spirit Barrage is :P.

Before my gear was good enough to mow down Act 1 Inferno elites with Zombie Bears, I used Locust Swarm / Spirit Barrage and kited. Spirit Barrage is just fantastic for killing Invul Minion Rares :3.

BattleTag ChaosMagika-2981

I just discovered that if you use both rush of essence and vision quest you can spam it endlessly, to the point where the mana regeneration reaches something like 300+ per second.

If you are good at keeping up vision quest you can even use it to eliminate those unconvenient breaks if your vision quest mana regeneration is less than you zombie bears cost.
    This might not be needed if mana regeneration items could replace it, but how I know it they do not stack with vision quest properly, just add. rush of essence however does.
    The great thing about it is that it stacks multiplicative with attack speed. I imagine with a really fast attack speed it might even surpass zombie bears.