Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Dashing strike suggestion

It seems to me that dashing strike is the only class movement ability that suffers in terms of escaping. It's great for zipping around from target to target, but when it's time to run for dear life a player can only distance himself just behind the target (unless there's a breakable item in the distance). Every other class' movement ability(s) aren't restricted by relativity to the target. Not only does this make the skill obsolete in terms of escaping, but also with respect to quick travel (alongside being a spirit-spender). I think Blizzard should make dashing strike move in terms of absolute distance with the cursor and not of the target. And if it's logical, make it usable with no spirit for travel quickness, even if its more restricted (being that every other class can ability travel quicker than the monk).

Re: Dashing strike suggestion

I don't think it's so much a problem for the Monk; the Monk has considerably more survivability granted by his skills alone (tons of healing potential, immunity, dodge etc.), not to mention some pretty heavy CC skills/runes. For example, he has a myriad of slows/knockbacks from his basic skills/spirit generators alone, in addition to Lashing Tail Kick and Blinding Flash.

As a Monk player, obviously it'd be nice to see a buff to Dashing Strike, but as far as general gameplay is concerned, it serves its general purpose pretty well.

-Kinky

BattleTag kestegs-1550
    I played all the way through hell with it on a skill slot. The only time I really used it that much was for treasure goblins. I ended up taking it off as it just isn't useful enough to keep in a slot. I agree with the OP's suggestions.

I found this skill to be pretty useful for escaping. It can get you to the outside of the pack quickly by targeting an enemy on the edge of the surrounding mob. It allows you to dash the full length of the skill while jailed (invaluable imo). I was running a build that used Mantra of Conviction - Dishearten (30% speed reduction), Fleet Footed, WotHF - Blazing Fists, and Dashing Strike. I found it pretty easy to kite this way. Made me more mobile that the fastest champions/rares.

IncGamers Member

It's not supposed to be a great escape skill. If you need a "get away" skill, get Tempest Rush. TR is very fast. With Fleet Footed and the +speed rune, Monk is probably the fastest class.

IncGamers Member

Yeah if you need to get away tempest rush is definitely the way to go. I use dashing strike to take me to monsters that need to be dead. Like the summoner skeletons or the resurrecting shaman guys. I also use it to dodge missile attacks. It isn't an escape skill like teleport. I know on the surface the functionality seems similar, but dashing strike is for getting yourself to your highest priority target fast. I use the heck out of it for that. It can also sometimes be useful for escape, but that isn't its primary function.

IncGamers Member

i use dashing strike to get away quickly - just press shift and the direction you want to go and you teleport about 4 yards, has saved my *** so many times
    i use it on big slow hitters to constantly dash behind them to never get hit
    dodge out of ice
    move fast from desecrate, plagued + other aoe
    treasure goblins- rooting/slowing things down that run away
    skipping past an area fast by chain casting it to jump up the entire area
    so many uses- been on my bar since i got it, constantly used
    its fantastic and its really annoying not having it equipped to RMB

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by yovargas View Post
    It's not supposed to be a great escape skill. If you need a "get away" skill, get Tempest Rush. TR is very fast. With Fleet Footed and the +speed rune, Monk is probably the fastest class.
    sorry but that is about the least bang for the buck i can think of ... the cost and speed of TR are atrocious and in Inferno you need every kind of mitigation skill available to even attempt a fight.

if my whole strategy in inferno revolves around fleeing from enemies which would 2-3 shot me i think fleet footed or TR are no good choices.
    maybe on a conceptual level these skills were supposed to do something like that. but the combat situations in d3 do not always pan out as neatly as the skill designer designer think they should.

this is also why we had skills like smoke screen which granted you invurnability and invisibility for 3 seconds. in combination with easily obtainable disciblin gear and preparation that is a total of 18-27 seconds of invurnability on a class which likely has the most dps in the game....

In fact i dont see how TR is good choice at all its even more useless than inner sanctuary. I wouldnt even consider it if could have all the runes of TR at the same time.

Last edited by WhiteGiant; 30-05-2012 at 13:18.

IncGamers Member

The monk is supposed to be the swift, agile, dodging character. The irony behind this signature skill of his is that using it feels very slow and clumsy. It could use more "snap" to it, somewhat similar to how FoT/Thunderclap feels. Never used beyond trying it for about half a minute when the slot opened up.

IncGamers Member

The problem with TR is that it has huge anti-synergy with high IAS weapons. It's a channeled skill, so the cost goes up with attack speed, making unuseable if you want fast attacks. TR needs a cost reduction, or it needs to become like the barbarian's sprint where you pay the cost up front and get the benefits for a fixed duration.

Dashing strike feels very clumsy compared to FoT/Thunderclap.