DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    D3 Trade Moderator
    America, USEast (D2)
    Newcomer Moderator

Best tips for New comers and Acronyms

I borrowed and condensed these tips from this thread:
    What is your best tip for new comers

Also I am assembling a list of common Acroyms that New folks might not know so if you have some post them and I will try to keep them organized here

Terms, Abbreviations and Acronyms from D2 - By Thyiad - not all applicable but there is alot of useful terms here.

IGG - In game gold
    WTB - Want to buy
    WTS - Want to sell
    FT - For trade (or sometimes fast trade)
    ISO - In search of
    OP - original Poster , or sometime Overpriced.

D3 Trade Moderator
    America, USEast (D2)
    Newcomer Moderator

Re: Best tips for New comers and Acronyms

Continued:
    Quote Originally Posted by Srikandi View Post
    Three absolutely essential tips:

1) Your skills scale with weapon damage. Even if you're a caster. Use the highest DPS weapon you can find, at least initially.

2) The game tells you this, but ONLY if you enable "advanced tooltips" in options.

3) It is also highly recommended to enable "elective mode" in options. That lets you choose any skill you've learned for each slot, giving you a ton more flexibility.

This is what I told my friends who were not in the beta, when they played in the open weekend... except for one guy, whom I missed... and found him later, very sad, in the Weeping Hollow, because he didn't realize that if he wanted to kill stuff his wizard needed to swap out his starter wand for something with a lil more oomph
    Quote Originally Posted by cozmiccc View Post
    1) Enable Advanced Tooltips and Elective Mode right from the start
    2) ALL skills damage are based on weapon damage
    3) Don't assume stuff from D2. Boss run is not the best way to farm, in fact Boss drops no better loot than a champions pack
    4) High level rushing won't be viable and waypoints are resetted every time you restart the quest
    Quote Originally Posted by eltfreak View Post
    I remember playing Diablo 1 and having had beaten it several times before my friend showed me that holding down the mouse button serves the same purpose as frenzy clicking. That changed my Diablo experience forever and would probably be my best newbie tip. The game doesn't have to be a click-fest. Just choose your kill, and hold down the mouse button. Also works for movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by cantwaitfordiablo View Post
    buy the damage rings from new tristiam this will boost your damage out put alot and because you wont find rings that early on in game.

rebind your hotkeys, rebind your stand still attack to spacebar for easier stutter step micro. bind your skills , inventory , map , follower gear inventory, potion to asdf and qwer.

dont buy inventory space in your stash, make multiple characters and use the stash to move items between characters.

dont sell magic items to vendors always salvage them in blacksmith , so you can craft better gear later.

xp gear will be better then gold find and magic find gear at the lower levels.

white items will fill your inventory up quickly and will fill up your inventory quickly its best to ignore them so you dont ruin the pace of the game, but if your really starved for gold you can pick them up but will be porting back to town alot.

if you press control and hover your mouse on a item on the ground it will show you the stats with out the need to pick it up. if you have your inventory open it will compare the item on the ground to what ever you have equiped.

getting multiple kills in a row or killing them all at once will give you more exp.

explore alot you will find random events , champions and rare mobs that will give you more gold and better items. going to a dead can trigger a rare or champion to spawn at times that other wise looked like there was nothing there. also keep you eye out for books in the world, they give you nice exp and lore.

leveling up your blacksmith is global which means you only need to level it up once to max and all your characters will have access to it.

if your friends are deep in a dungeon and you are behind, teleport back to town then click on there banner to fast travel to them.

i wouldn't recommend buying or selling gear in AH during the 1st week, let the market stabilize so you can have a better idea the real value of an item.

gold drops and item drops are independent so you dont have to worry about someone stealing your gear or knowing what you got.

if you have your chat open you can link an item in chat from your inventory to show to your fiends by either shift clicking the item or ctrl clicking it, its one of them i cant remember exactly which.

if your going to dual wield have your strongest weapon on your main hand (right hand).

a little long winded but i couldnt stop with just one, hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    You can resurrect other party members by rightclicking on them. Especially important when fighting bosses.
    Quote Originally Posted by gblan View Post
    I think a good tip is to explore every inch of every zone you enter. You'll kill all the mobs, or most all, and get tons of vendor/crafting items. In addition to that you'll discover all the mini dungeons and stay ahead of the leveling curve from all the xp making it even easier as you go along. When I enter a new area I walk around the edge clockwise. I find any exits this way and I can easily see what remains to discover.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeless View Post
    All of your money should be spent at the Auction House to upgrade your gear. Gear is the most important thing in the game at this point.

Level up your Jeweler as time goes by to socket better gems, but don't waste money on Blacksmith upgrades/crafting. It's much cheaper to find something good on the AH rather than spending 15k and tons of materials trying to get a Helm with Strength/Vitality on it or w/e.

Make good use of defensive/mobility skills, especially in later difficulties. Arcane sentries will eat you up unless you can get out of the way quickly after they spawn.

When in doubt, don't rage quit. Don't start a new character. Don't complain in the forums. Just stick with it. Sometimes I wipe 4-5 times on the same boss pack because they have a nasty combination of affixes (Molten/Desecrator/Jailer for example) but if you tweak your skills for the situation and try to play a bit smarter you can overcome it. The "---- yeah!!!" feeling of finally taking down a monster that's been roflstomping you is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElSmisko View Post
    From helping a friend to get going I got this to say:
    * Hold down left mouse to walk instead of clicking multiple times.
    * Hold down left mouse to attack instead of clicking multiple times.
    * [shift] + click will attack without moving.
    * Press [Alt] to show names on items on the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hwaygo View Post
    At level 6 you can equip rings that have +1-2 damage on them. They can be bought from a vendor in town act1. They are cheap and increase your damage by a huge amount!

IncGamers Member

xp gear will be better then gold find and magic find gear at the lower levels.

IncGamers Member

thanks for compiling spiffymcbang, a really good handouts for beginners.

BattleTag Xuu-6972

1.) Binding auto-target skills or any spammable generators/signatures like (i.e. hungering arrow/evasive fire/frenzy/etc) in the right-click mouse would ease up using the shift key in attacking/holding your ground. Making attacks faster, efficient and less clicking.

2.) Also, in using DH's Evasive Fire, you can actually target monster farther than its actual range, by targeting a nearer area and dragging while holding the mouse to the farthest part of the screen where the monsters are located. Apply (1) of course for effciency. As long the mouse is over the monster(even if just its feet), you will hit it.

3.) For maximized profit in town trips in Inferno for selling loots, get only the blues with value of 700g+ for a 2 slot inventory item, and around 300-400g for a single slot inventory item (i.e. rings/ammys/etc). Get only rares of item level 60+ and ID it during skill CDs.

4.) In a pub game loots, apply (3) but ignore the blues depending on the efficiency of the kill-speed of party.

I found pinning 2 of your most used non-right/left mouse skills, on your mouse wheel to be really nice. So you have FOUR skills right on your mouse to ease up laziness. Cause I hate using two hands, lol.

The Door Trick

For those that remember Andy runs with a sorc in DII - the door trick does work in DIII. You can cast AOE's on the other side of closed doors. I cast hydra to check if anything's there them bliz or meteor to get the kills. Nice trick esp if your a bit weak and can't tank.

Another trick for the weak or for particularly tough packs is to get too a portal to another area and jump back and forth with quick AOE attacks. Tedious and a bit cheap but you don't have to die to the baddies.

IncGamers Member

I am planning to play D3, thanks your tips.

If you are playing a Demon Hunter in Diablo III, and you want to level your Demon Hunter to the very top, then you have come to the right place. No doubt, leveling up a Demon Hunter can turn out to be quite challenging and enjoyable. However, you can get started with the following 7 tips. They will help you continue going and reach level 60 easily, in a very short period of time.

Demon Hunter Tips

Normally, facerolling is easy, but having a few defensive CDs is best, in case nightmare hits. There are two particular offensive spells you should definitely run with, A Hatred Dump, such as Cluster Arrow, Elemental Arrow, Rapid Fire, and a Hatred Generator, such as Entangling Shot or Hungering Arrow. The rest of your spells should all be discipline-CDs, such as Caltrops, Demon Power, Preparation, and Smokescreen.[/FONT]

Smokescreen continues to remain quite effective, although it was nerfed as of May, 2012, and as now it has no CD. A Smokescreen will help you in getting out of many tight spots. However, keep in mind that even while invisible, you will not be able to run through mobs. If a mob backs you into a corner, popping your Demon power is your best bet, and hopefully you will end up burning them down faster before you are trapped. You might be able to tumble through them if you have Vault. Moreover, do not forget to pick up health globes while invisible. This way, if you have got Vengeance (P) it will help you while you are kiting non-stop in tight fights.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

I'm not a newcomer but OTF is for Off-Topic Forum.

This is why you don't turn you back on Hobbes

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=db5_1384860029