Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Summoner and patch 1.03

So currently, summoner builds seem to work in Act 1 Inferno with lots of +armour and resists, but completely fail later. Sacrifice is actually awesome but doesn't feel like a true summoner; keeping zombie dogs alive seems impossible in Act 2. But reading the front page, this caught my attention:

That said, we also wanted to let you know we’re keeping a close eye on Inferno. The intent of incoming damage is that it should be a very consistent drain on your health, and mitigating that drain is a major part of what makes Inferno mode difficult. Right now, there’s a lot more damage “spikiness” occurring than feels right, and that’s one major area we’re looking to adjust in patch 1.0.3.

With more consistent, less spiky damage, Fierce Loyalty will be much more useful, and with Leeching Beasts they may actually survive. This could fix summoner viability in Inferno, and as soon as 1.03 is out I am going to give it a try. Any advice?

Re: Summoner and patch 1.03

This is what I'm thinking atm...

Both armor and resistances will transfer to your pets. Dodge is less useful because it won't trigger thorns damage. People have said that vitality does not affect your pets, but I can't say for sure. Also, your pets probably can't block.

Stack thorns + life per sec + armor + resists. Armor + resistance values tend to be higher than if you were to get strength + intellect on items. I'm not sure at this point whether stacking resistance is better than intellect overall though. Because intellect apparently increases pet damage. So it's unclear whether you're better off increasing your pets melee damage but having less survivability by getting intellect, or increasing it's survivability with no added damage by getting pure resistance.

So basically you would stack those 4 stats (thorns, life per sec, armor, and then intellect or resistance) and you would wear a shield for the added armor.

As for the build... I think you have to go with these 3 passives: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#!Zdg

Beyond that, you can really use any combination of runes + skills. Obviously you would have to get Zombie Dogs and Gargantuan. But the other 4 slots aren't clear cut.

I think a build like this would be extremely gear dependent. Because you rely on both the thorns and life per sec primarily to keep your pets alive and do any damage at all. And your personal damage would be very weak most likely.

I'm not sure what determines how much life pets have besides the level / act. If there's no way to increase a pets life then most likely you'd have very low HP with this build, but all the defensive stats of the pets.

I don't know if these stats apply to fetishes. They don't apply to the spider queen / toad, etc I don't think. But the fetishes are a little different.

Playing petless is my preferred style, but I was surprised when I discovered how much less effective Dogs become even as early as late Nightmare.

I would have thought that when it came to build viability, Blizzard would have made sure that the most 'iconic' method of playing the WD was viable.

So yeah, if not patch 1.03, then certainly soon dogs will get a buff.

I must say that while I'm not a pet-loving sorta guy, I definitely love Zombie Dogs + Sacrifice with the Next of Kin rune. That stuff is just way too fun :P. It doesn't even feel like I'm playing with pets XD.

IncGamers Member

This is the next-of-kin build I am running until patch 1.03:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...UQj!adW!aZZccZ

Sacridoc, I cannot link to your passives for some reason, so I don't know which three you meant. Apart from Fierce Loyalty, I can see tons that would be useful:

Zombie Handler for an extra dog and +health
    Jungle Fortitude/Bad Medicine for damage reduction
    Blood Ritual if the life regen works with Fierce Loyalty
    Fetish Sycophants or Tribal Rites if Thorns triggers with Fetishes
    Vision Quest is not bad as the two key skills are long cooldown skills

Does anyone know if life-on-hit items trigger with dogs? What about skills that grant life to the WD when used (like Haunt + consuming spirit), or that grant a % of damage as life (e.g. Vampire Bats)?

Yeah, that'll be interesting to see if the Dogs get a buff... I know Blizz deffinitely doesn't want this game to turn into where everybody only uses one viable build.

I'm nervous about using Thorns though. Too many bad memories of Spirit of the Barbs & Bramble with my lvl 92 Summoner, and thorns just plain sucked in hell with monster regen and ginormous health pool back in the day. If they can make it work this time... Kudos.

IncGamers Member

I finished Hell with a Thorns merc alongside my summoner in Diablo 2, solo, using just items I had found and only 30 strength. Only ever died 3 times, and Thorns was my second most effective killer after Corpse Explosion.

Sry I was thinking druid.. but also that's solo too. I could pretty much beat hell solo with a well equiped holy freeze merc only putting points into decrep & attract, no offense.

Add 3 more friends into your game and you'll see thorns is rendered useless.

The 3 passives are Jungle Fortitude, Zombie Handler and of course Fierce Loyalty. I think they will be the best for a build that's 100% focused on summons.

This is the thread I'm getting this info from by the way, it's not my own: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5271500086

As for the other life regen stats besides life per sec, right now I'm under the impression that they do not transfer to your pets even with Fierce Loyalty. Fierce Loyalty (I think) refers only to life per sec. Which makes sense because the other life regen stats don't transfer over very cleanly.

As for life regen abilities like Haunt: Consuming Spirit, etc. Apparently they don't affect pets either. Although Blood Ritual does.

The max thorn values on items are pretty high. But one problem is that once you have max thorns damage, that's the most you can do really. Because other affixes won't affect thorns damage. So what you see is what you get.

IncGamers Member

zombie dogs suck A$$

here's my post from another thread
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/s...-Need-Feedback
    Pets/Summons suck in D3
    Blizzard really does not want you tanking with them.
    I'm in Act 3 NM and 2 out of 4 dogs die every fight
    So after each fight I stand still and do nothing or portal back to town and wait for the cooldown to finish so I can resummon. I'm playing HC so the last thing I need is to have a another mob come after me while I'm short 2 dogs.

I have Zombie Handler, so their health is increased by 20%
    I have Jungle Fortitude so they take 20% less damage.
    I have Bad Medicine which means monsters do 20% less damage when poisoned, and I keep them poisoned with Spider Queen and Splinters.
    But still, my dogs die.

My damage is 1277.92
    Max Life is 24487

Rakkis Crossing, on the way to the Siege Breaker is freaking ridiculous. Its just mob after mob after mob.
    I always make it through and I always kill the SiegeBreaker, but getting to him is always 3 steps forward, 2 steps back.
    I push ahead, kill a few, then I'm pushed back.
    Then I have to run, kite, spam Grasp, spam SpiderQueen, wait for the ZDog cooldown to expire and finally I can move forward again.
    This is the first time I have really been in danger and have had to use potions.

The only time my pets are useful now is when I join public games that has a wizard or 2 in it.
    The monsters stop, stand in one place and focus on my pets. This allows the wizard to wipe the monsters pretty easily and safely. My pets usually manage to stay alive too.

But is is just depressing how much more damage the wizards do compared to me.

Dogs do not benefit from my vitality at all. They do benefit from intelligence because that increases my damage, which increases theirs.
    I'd like to see the cool down of dogs reduced to 30 seconds or see them get some sort of bonus from my vitality.

On the other hand, the Gargantuan is awesome. He never dies. Ever.

edit: yeah, I'm dead
    gonna try a wizard

IncGamers Member

jamesL, what is your Intelligence and Armour? Dogs do not benefit from Vitality but they take significantly less damage if your Armour and Intelligence are high.