Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member

The Myth of Build Variety

I'm an old (in every sense of the world) barb forum poster from back in the D2 days. I've been looking forward to D3 for years, and I'm really trying to like this game, but I can't seem to get past the "trust us we know what's better for you" approach Blizzard took in this game. All the drivel they keep spewing about how the new skill system is great and unlocks virtually unlimited possibilities is a prime example. So I can respec whenever I want. Wonderful. Unless I want to do it mid-fight. Or say, switch skills during a mf run. Hmmm...

More to the point, I was thinking back to some of my various barb builds and comparing them to the current system. In D3, you can use 6 skills and have 3 active passive skills (if you pardon the oxymoron) without respecing. On the face of it, that seems ok--until you think about D2. When I came back recently to get ready for D3, my last pvm/ubers ww/frenzy barb used frenzy, ww, battle command, shout, and battle orders on a regular basis--only 5 skills. So far edge to D3. He had access to--and used 3 others quite often, too, though: berserk, howl, and leap attack. If he was a pure mf barb, he would have used find item, too. At the same time, my barb was running 5 passives. All without respecing--and all with various degrees of strength depending upon my preferences.

When you think about pvp builds, the difference becomes even more pronounced. The latest bvc would regularly use ww, berserk, concentrate, leap, bc, bo, shout, and the 5 passives--not to mention teleport. A more specialized build like the jav barb I played back in the day used all of those plus double throw and normal throw--and ran with a second mastery for 6 passives.

Ah but what about instant respec? Again, you didn't need the gimmick of non-instant, instant respec since you had access to so many skills with the push of a button. If you really wanted to respec, though, getting a respec token AFTER you used up your 3 free resepcs was hardly onerous. Gimping the game interface in the name of "you really don't want to have to press all those buttons so we'll save you the trouble" to protect us from ourselves is a joke.

Sure, sure--I'm just a bitter D2 player nostalgically longing for the old days. Ask yourself, though, why you are here reading this post rather than playing. When D2 first came out, I only bothered to read the forums when I was at work--taking fully authorized breaks, of course. In all honesty, D2 sucked me in immediately. D3? Not so much. It's very easy to tell that the people who made the game are a completely different crew with wildly different priorities. So far, from what I've seen, the skill build approach is just one example of how those priorities led to a lesser game.

IncGamers Member

Re: The Myth of Build Variety

Some valid points but the skill system is not beyond repair. I think in the future they very well might add a couple of more hotkeys, at least that is something I hope. Unless they decide to console port and that is the reason for not allowing more hotkeys(the controller).

I think every expansion that comes will probably add some new skills to the classes which probably means there will be a need for some extra buttons. Sure doesn't help much in the current situation but meh, one can hope right?

In my perfect world, they would add weapon switch bindable key and two more skill buttons. The barb class really needs it especially, considering how certain things like Warcry is a must. There isn't so much room for freedom as I would like atm.

IncGamers Member

One thing people don't get about the Pandora's story is, that it's a box filled of evil. Hope was in the box because it belongs there. In the box full of evil.

Quote Originally Posted by zapotek View Post
    I think every expansion that comes will probably add some new skills to the classes which probably means there will be a need for some extra buttons.
    To be honest, everything's pretty well over-saturated as it is.

IncGamers Member

Choices, so many choices.. I do change spec or some passives at least when farm or doing new content. PVP will be the same. D3 has so many builds more than D2 ever did and imo it is not how many buttons you have to push. Gameplay at the moment feels great, not too many or not too few keys to push.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by BryanM View Post
    One thing people don't get about the Pandora's story is, that it's a box filled of evil. Hope was in the box because it belongs there. In the box full of evil.
    If you are going to try to sound smart by citing mythology, it helps not to misinterpret the myth. Hope was the gift that made the evils bearable.

Quote Originally Posted by betazoid View Post
    Choices, so many choices.. I do change spec or some passives at least when farm or doing new content. PVP will be the same. D3 has so many builds more than D2 ever did and imo it is not how many buttons you have to push. Gameplay at the moment feels great, not too many or not too few keys to push.
    You're right. What was I thinking? Everything is perfect exactly the way it is. Blizzard can never do any wrong.

IncGamers Member

I think the new system itself is fundamentally superior. But some balance tweaking of certain skills and runes is needed.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ixnatifual View Post
    I think the new system itself is fundamentally superior. But some balance tweaking of certain skills and runes is needed.
    I'm genuinely curious to hear what you think makes it better other than because Blizzard made it. What's superior about a system where everyone has the same skills at the same power available to them and you have limited access to them at the same time?

The myth is true. You cannot design a skill system, or at least no one ever has, that doesn't have optimal paths.

All you can do is create artificial gimmicks to make people's optimal builds not work in certain situations.

For me biggest problem is knowing halfway though NM, that the build I want to and enjoy playing, won't be able to make it in hell/inferno. There's maybe 2 different barb builds that can take on hell, and most of them are heavy on defensive skills.

In D2, I solo'ed hell on /players 8 with frenzy barb, sword&shield barb and 2H ww barb. Here, the only thing I see viable for Hell is sword and shield, with WotB, Ignore pain, Earthquake and defensive passives.

Agree, d3 system is dumbed down, hyped up and boring.
    The more I play d3 the more I see my former skepticism validated.
    I wish they made a mod with d3 graphics and story but all d2 core mechanics lol.