Hey, just wanted to offer any aspiring WD's a stream for act 4 inferno. I currently can clear both garden tier 1 and 2 (unless I get a crazy elite pack). Sometimes I farm with a wizard friend as well, who has similar stats to Trump.
My build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#aUkXjZ!WZV!aaZbaa
Feel free to drop in chat and ask questions. I'll try my best to answer them.
1)Find Tyrael to help you farm; sadly, he is better than any barb or monk friend that you could ever put in your group (plus he hits really hard). He also can sometimes block mobs.
2)If you're rocking pretty good gear but you're having trouble in Act 2, find someone that can skip you to act 3 or 4. It's not worth doing Act 2 if you can handle Act 3/4. (Note: You need to complete quest in that act to save it on in your log for later use)
3)Making money is hard if you're stuck in the Act 1 and Act 2 farming limbo because not many people are looking for items of that quality. Since the best way to get better gear is through money, you're going to have to try and get to Act 3 with a kiting build or some other means. Don't be discourage though! Items are also getting much cheaper so keep searching AH. Use the maximum buyout filter to find cheap gear for yourself.
Note: I currently make a few million gold in 3-4 Act 4 garden runs if you guys were curious. But I also am not afraid of dropping money on good items.
Tip on buying new gear:
-Set a maximum buyout price to fit your wallet; don't drop a ton of money on a new piece of gear if it only gives you 100-800 life or 100-300 dmg. Invest in the good stuff.
-Look up int and vit gear or w/e stat you might want and set the values to either the stats on your current piece of armor of interest or a little higher than your current piece.
4)I use templar now because he helps hold the line with Tyrael. Templar doesn't have as many utility skills as enchantress but he definitely can take hits for you. (If you position the templar between yourself and ranged mobs, he can tank some of the projectiles as well). Although, his heals are pretty small for the amount of hp I have :|
5)This is just my preference of stats:
-Vit = Int > Dex > Str (I try to get a total sum of ~180 stats between vit and int items
-Put atk spd in all of your slots or all of your slots except for amulet
-Get either a moderately fast 1h with mana regen for corpse bear builds or get a really fast 1h for darts
-All resist is good but I have a hard time finding AR items that also have int+vit. AR+Vit+Int would be the next phase in my armor item preference
-Life per hit and life steal is probably better with darts, if you can afford to have it then get it
-If you get a weapon with a slot, it might be better to shove a good emerald gem into it assuming you have ~10% crit chance
6) Avoid elite packs that have invincible minions, vortex+[insert annoying enchant], mortar (unless you can survive one or two hits of them), and illusionist. Good rule of thumb is if you can't kill one of its minions before rage timer, skip it. Pull the elite pack to a corner away from w/e checkpoint you might have and die there so that you don't aggro them.
7) Spam confuse, mobs hit each other hard.
8) Cycle through slow, wall, horrify, and confusion. Use shift click a lot too to kite well. Shooting off screen also can let you get a few hits in (if you have lifesteal or the elite has reflect damage, you can use those numbers to tell if you're hitting the mob).
9) Spirit walk for 3 seconds, for healing, or for mana are all good but generally use the first two unless you do find yourself running out of mana.
10) Getting one shotted sucks, but getting two shotted makes you a king. Don't be discouraged if you die too fast because once you get better at kiting, living through one big hit can give you the window you need to regain your footing.
11) Put on MF gear before you open weapon racks and chests. I also do this on the last mob of an elite pack (who usually has around 10-15% hp left) but it has not been confirmed to work. I like to think it does though.