Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Wots yer build?

BattleTag UnclePain-1924

Re: Wots yer build?

@Ilandalar: Magic/Force Weapon's DPS boost only applies to weapon strikes, not spell damage. Give the Sparkflint familiar a try for its 12% spell boost.

EDIT: Changed my loadout a bit, put Blizzard on mouse 2 and swapped Blur out for Cold Blooded. This is working out well. Drop a blizz, start zapping away at the blizzed mob, and still drop a hydra down if needed. Good synergy between these skills. Ought to get better once I can start dropping frost hydras at 46.

Last edited by Painman; 15-06-2012 at 07:21.

@Painman: do you have a reference for the Magic Weapon thing? Everything I've read about that skill indicates that it does improve spell damage, because that's based on weapon damage.

BattleTag UnclePain-1924

Quote Originally Posted by muzzz View Post
    @Painman: do you have a reference for the Magic Weapon thing? Everything I've read about that skill indicates that it does improve spell damage, because that's based on weapon damage.
    DiabloWiki

According to the article, the skill was always meant for going melee, sort of like D2's Enchant.

BattleTag MagpieMcGraw-2483

Magic weapon increases my listed DPS by a very large amount. With force weapon I get a maybe 20-25% increase. I have a feeling the wiki is outdated.

BattleTag UnclePain-1924

My bad. Just gave it a whirl, and it definitely does work... even stacks with Sparkflint for some pretty stupid damage.

I wonder if this is bug, though, or feature? If it's a feature, I'll gladly take it. The damage increase for my Wiz is on the order of like, 35%.

Apparently, D3 also has a LCS. At least when it comes to MW. It incorrectly applies the MW bonus twice when calculating the displayed damage*. But I'm told the damage you actually inflict is calculated correctly.

*) IIRC, this is not unlike +% elemental damage on ranged attacks in D2.

Yes muzzz is correct. I had no idea about the damage being calculated correctly though but I did my own tests and it's true. With only a 1103.4 DPS weapon equipped I should be hitting up to 5630 but I only go as far as ~4800 (correct value for 15% increase).

Even without the display bug I'll not be using Sparkflint with that build but it's good to know what I'm actually getting out of MW.

Since my WD is still stuck, I decided to give her some company. So I've been leveling my wizard and monk through NM.

My wizard started out as a fairly typical early game wizard: blades and disintegrate on mouse, sparkflint and magic weapon for extra damage, slow time and wave of force for control. And the standard passives, of course This started failing miserably in early A3 NM, so I decided to swing in the direction of a typical late game wizard. I swapped blades for hydra, and started using diamond skin and blizzard for defense. Disintegrate is still useful with prism and astral presence, but it'll probably have to go for more defense in hell. I'm currently trying out a bunch of variations to get past NM Diablo, but this is the full build I used while questing through most of A3 and A4.

The kiting is actually more intense than I expected, and quite a bit of fun. I especially like the emphasis on situational awareness. The need to keep Bad Things far away, and preferably off-screen, means you need to keep tabs on pretty much everything withing two screens of you. The fact that she still dies more often than I'd like is probably largely my fault.

My monk is probably my most successful character so far. I'm going for a dodgy-tanky build, with crippling wave as my main attack. Guardian's path (dual-wielding), resolve, and mantra of evasion provide extra damage reduction. Breath of heaven and transcendence provide the necessary healing. Left over actives went to spirit ally and sweeping wind. Here's the full build at the end of A3 NM.

Everything up to the end of A3 was simply a matter of holding down the right mouse button and tanking pretty much everything. I didn't even need transcendence, using chant of resonance instead for comfort. Sweeping wind's biggest contribution was keeping all of this from getting boring ;-). Her listed DPS is a bit low (~1.5k), but actual damage is still decent. By the end of A3 NM, tanking is becoming harder. I can still pretty much hold right-click, but I need to juggle spirit and cooldowns to provide enough healing during tougher fights. And I actually had a couple of deaths against a rare fast + vampiric pack of those fat guys with two clubs, that did way more damage than I had anticipated.

Most of this build seems fairly overpowered (at least during this part of the game), but spirit ally deserves special mention. This skill alone is enough to make my WD want to hide in a corner. It has a larger damage % than gargantuan, is a lot easier to recast (low cost, no 60s cooldown) and is at least as tanky (evasion vs. jungle fortitude + zombie handler), if not more so.

BattleTag MagpieMcGraw-2483

The cute electrocute build that I've posted a while ago became uselss about halfway through act3. I suspect it was a combination of lacking gear and the build itself being abit wacky. Since then I've switched things around, and found a build that's carrying me through hell.

I'm using Wave of Force(Exploding wave) on left click, Meteor(Star Pact) on right click. On the keyboard I've got:
    Frost Nova(Deep Freeze), Teleport(Wormhole), Mirror Image(Mocking Demise(will try the highest level rune when I get it)), Energy Armor(Crit chance)

My passives are Illusionist, Critical Mass and Astral Presence.

The build relies on having teleport and mirror image available most of the time. Wave of Force and Frost Nova recharge pretty quickly thanks to Critical Mass, and help root targets for meteor. Works well, is fun. Some trouble with bosses, as they are hard to freeze for long, don't usually knockback, and tend to run around, so hitting them with meteor can be hard.

The monk just became my first character to beat NM Diablo. A4 was... insightful. I had a particular hard time against a champion pack of plagued meteor morlu's. Between avoiding their area attacks and chasing them down I had quite a bit of trouble keeping my spirit up. It also went way past what my spirit ally could tank. She's still way better than gargantuan, but starting to die more often than I like. Izual was also painful, mostly because I haven't figured out how to avoid his freezing nova.

Diablo, by contrast, was surprisingly easy. I swapped sweeping wind for serenity with the healing rune. I could easily take his melee attacks, and the 0.5 - 1 second it took me to get out of his DoT fireballs. Even his bone prison didn't kill me, although it put some strain on my cooldowns. The only really close call was when I didn't pay enough attention, and ended up having to choose between standing in fire or eating lightning. I picked the latter and, luckily, my character just went "dodge, dodge, dodge, dodge"

EDIT: and I'm just now discovering that, as punishment for defeating Diablo before level 50, I can't get into hell yet. WTF, blizz?