Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BattleTag MagpieMcGraw-2483

Re: SPF Feedback on D3?

@thefranklin: Have you got elective mod and advanced tool tips turned on?

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by thefranklin View Post
    The dumbing down is infuriating when trying to choose what skill to use. The damage percentages are not shown in game. I was using Entangling Shot with Chain Gang rune because it allowed some early aoe for the Demon Hunter. I just kept using it for quite a few levels, not knowing I was nerfing my damage because of that!

"Light your arrow on fire to do additional damage." WTF does that mean? 500% additional or 5%? I understand I can go test it on enemies, but that is not how I want to figure out the skill mechanics when it is a simple freaking number!
    Turn on advanced tooltips under gameplay options! For some reason, that's the only way to see the proper numbers. I'm sure someone at Blizzard thought this was a good idea. They was wrong.

I've made it through Act I... have to say the game is becoming more and more one dimensional. Items are pretty much "better=use it" or "worse=sell it". There arean't any special items, like low level sets or interesting dilemmas, like choosing between resists or damage, or finding/making an item with CB to change the dynamic there. Hope they take this to heart a really re-do itemization in the game. D2 did it. D3 needs it worse.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shagsbeard View Post
    I've made it through Act I... have to say the game is becoming more and more one dimensional. Items are pretty much "better=use it" or "worse=sell it".
    I'm in Act II playing a Monk, and I'm starting to feel the same. It's pretty much "does this item increase my dexterity/damage? If yes, replace current item. If no, scrap it." It's still early, and I'm trying not to rush to judgment, but I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this.

BattleTag AskMe (EU primarily)

Regarding items, keep in mind (if you'd heard the devs say it during production) that some 70% of the item mods won't appear in Normal difficulty. So if you haven't made it too far, yeah, you tend to see the same basic stuff over and over.

I also have to ask, what other scenario is there besides "better=use it" or "worse=sell it?" That's kind of the nature of items in general; either they're useful or they're not.

But you're not alone in how you find item mods to be underwhelming. If you've paid any attention to the incgamers.diablo front page, there's lots of concerns regarding items. Among which are the fact that sets/legendaries are far too uncommon, but also that straight up magic items can easily outperform their legendary counterparts. There's also a lack of "unique" item mods that give them flavor; two examples given were that it'd be nice to have an item or two that would allow you to break out of a jailer effect or break down the wallers' walls.

That said, the game's only a week old. Items were some of the last things the devs were able to work on, so it's only natural that they're limited in scope and breadth. We're in a position to suffer through these issues because we're playing during the initial stages of the game. Given time, I'd wager that Bliz will make attunements and start thinking creatively about how to make us want items with more than higher damage, our primary stat, and vitality. D2 didn't start out with awesome items, but after a few changes we came to love what it had to offer. I'd like to hope that D3 will turn out the same way.

I only got into D2 post 1.10, and when I went back to 1.07 to get some of those bugged rings and runeword bases, I was shocked at how bad the drops were. Maybe it'll take 3 to 10 patches for Blizz to make the items in D3 better.

IncGamers Member

Reading this thread gives me hope, my new laptop should be here in a couple of weeks and then I can't wait to play some single player D3. Seems like once again if you want to really enjoy the game and be challenged all the way then SP is the way to go. I'll probably avoid the AH all together and get back to the self found grail glory days.

At the moment I kind of prefer to play by myself. I want to see the story and hear all the lore. From nightmare and on I think I'll want to MP more.

There's more to D2 than "Better=use it" There's "hmm... that's interesting!" and "Wow... pierce on a belt... who'd have thought of that?" and "Maybe theres a character build that could use this" There was also "I better pick up that blue, it might be that one in a million that spawns with +3skilltree and a +3oskill that I could use". D3 currently has nothing like this. It's simply "neat, a rare... that has a better chance at being better." Since they've based your character's performance on two stats (primary attribute and weapon DPS) these are the only mods worth looking for once you have basic survival down.

IncGamers Member

Do legendary items have unique stats though such as Crushing Blow or Pierce etc?