Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

How did the lesser and prime evils from D2 end up in the Black Soulstone?

Discuss. Typical Blizzard to leave such a plothole. Adria states she had to take leave of Leah and spent all that time hunting the prime and lesser evils and used the black soulstone to trap all their souls in one place. Yet we have to hunt down the soulstone by tracking down Kulle's archives and reforming him using a thousand frigging body parts of his scattered all over the desert. And yet THE STORY STATES Adria had it before, managed to trap the souls of all the other evils in it, and then lost it again. The events of Diablo 2 also contradict this. Mephistos and Diablo's soulstones were shattered, sending their souls to the Abyss. Andariel and Duriel .... they had no soulstone, their souls went back to Hell or the Abyss. No one trapped them inside a soulstone. This begs the question .... WTF BLIZZARD??!!? MAKE SOME SENSE

How do they always manage to make somebody like me whos very finnicky about the story and lore, well ... very angry? *sigh*

Diablo: IncGamers Member saint_of_killers's Avatar
    BattleTag Cheese-1251

Re: How did the lesser and prime evils from D2 end up in the Black Soulstone?

I just started A4 and was like "wait...all 7 of them are in the black soulstone? How did Meph and Baal get in there...?"

Really, though, I just have a terrible memory. But the fact it's so haphazardly explained in the game, makes it even worse for me to remember!

But yeah, re: OP, i guess a lot can happen in 20 years that they dont care to explain. ...yet?

This very question is in my mind for hours... I'm really disappointed about this game... It took 5 years to develop this game yet still there are ridiculous lore gaps... Also Diablo end fight was so bad.. Even a low level dungeon boss in Wow has more scenario into it...

Also, I might be wrong here, wasn't the Bastion's Keep a barbarian stronghold? only western soldiers there defending it.

IncGamers Member

Bastion's keep was a defense against barbarians.

Diablo: IncGamers Member saint_of_killers's Avatar
    BattleTag Cheese-1251

Also, why is it so nonchalant that you're a nephalem? Your character is unaware when Krulle hints at it and then the Angels and others just start calling you nephalem and your character doesn't seem to react or care...(even when I have optional dialog w/ the angels about it)

sidenote: I'm still in A4... maybe ending will address it

BattleTag Sass-1761

Quote Originally Posted by saint_of_killers View Post
    Also, why is it so nonchalant that you're a nephalem? Your character is unaware when Krulle hints at it and then the Angels and others just start calling you nephalem and your character doesn't seem to react or care...(even when I have optional dialog w/ the angels about it)

sidenote: I'm still in A4... maybe ending will address it
    You learn that you're a nephalem in A1 with the orb quests.

IncGamers Member

The only problem I had with the story was the insinuation that shattering the BSS (or, apparently, killing Diablo's Prime Evil form in Heaven) could actually kill the Evils forever. I'm sure it'd ruin their day, sure, but come on -- they're basically primal gods.

Oh, and the whole thing where Tyrael can choose to become a mortal. They handled it fine, but it just seemed weird (in a game where bees shoot bees, yeah, I know).

IncGamers Member

Glad to hear I'm not alone, I thought everybody would jump on me and call me a whiner, tbh Nice to see other people noticed. I dont know, I just wish there was some more effort put into the story. Overall, the game is very solid and well worth the wait, imo. Beautiful scenery, lots of nice side quests and lots of lore ... its just inconsistent in places.

@ marshmallow, yes I also agree about Tyrael becoming mortal, they also handled it badly, it just doesnt make sense. What did he become? A nephalem? Thats impossible, it would destroy the whole concept of nephalem. So hes not a human then, hes a 'mortal' angel. Err ... wtf?

@saintofkillers: Tbh, the whole nephalem backstory didnt bother me. The whole festering woods story and what went down in the past seems like a nice addition to the lore, even though again its not delved into very well, the lore books just keep mentioning a battle between the ancients and some woman Nezara or something, but no more. However, regards to your point, I suppose the hero is aware of his nephalem birthright, that he is the one, like Uldyssian, who is spawned every once in a thousand or so years, and especially now that the Worldstone is destroyed and its not dampening humankind's powers anymore (mentioned in some lore books in the game too ... )

• The nephalem were the most powerful beings to ever stride these lands, but the questions of their existence vex me still. Why did they die out? How can I access their secrets? And how am I to locate that unique, rare, singular person born possessing their power, as happens sporadically. Infrequent, to be sure, but it does occur.
    • How can I locate those possessing the nephalem birthright? What are the signs I need to be searching for? I must be ready to act should the opportunity present itself.

One other thing that made me sigh was we tavelled to Caldeum by caravan, its overseas, any mention of sea travel would be enough for me but there is none :( why :(

I'm just going to go ahead and sum this up real fast.

Blizzard butchered the story. It's terrible. It really is. It's their business model lately.