Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Wizard "Mastery" Tier/slot

I realise this is a super nooby question, but I've spent the last few weeks looking at monk skills and only just now started on wizard's.

Am I missing something really obvious, or are 2 of the 3 spells in the wizard's "mastery" selection utter garbage?

Explosive Blast does 225% damage as a 12y aoe, with a delay. And has a cooldown. And it's physical damage for zero synergy with most other spells.

Mirror Image creates some crappy images that does no damage - something teleport already does while being far more useful. Although they can be runed to have a tiny bit more health, or do a tiny bit of damage.

Archon gives you a cooldown to transform into a god with damage defence no AP cost and insanely powerful abilities.

I'm well aware there is elective mode and whatnot, but really, why would anyone ever pick the other two over archon? Is it bad design or am I just not getting it?

Re: Wizard "Mastery" Tier/slot

Explosive Blast is an amazing skill if you like to stay in melee range. With its low cost and short cooldown it would be the second most used ability for a melee Wizard I imagine, right after Spectral Blade. It won't be that hard to reduce it's cooldown even more with Evocation and Critical Mass.

While you can indeed create Mirror Images with Teleport, it doesn't mean that you'll always want to. Teleport has some amazing runes as well, so bringing both with you could be a good defensive option, especially with the Illusionist passive. I'm not a huge fan of MI either, since I prefer my defense to be controllable, but it could be quite powerful with the Mocking Demise rune.

Hmm okay looking at it more closely, I can imagine some fun uses for explosive blast. I think the problem is that most of the wizard's offensive abilities feel really underwhelming (at least numberswise on paper) so I just assumed there'd be much better aoe available.

While it has its uses, I still refuse to believe that mirror image deserves a spot between explosive and archon, though. I'm sure it has it's place, but Teleport images do more in a controlled fashion (giving you movement, obviously) although I'd never rune them in anyway. Ironically with a class that I'd have thought would be all damage, the wizard has so many great defensive abilities that mirror image just isn't as good as most of the rest to me.

BattleTag zapro-2758

Mirror images are extremely useful for crowd control.

And if you think the wizard is weak offensively, take a look at offensive skill cooldowns. Highest damage dealing skills don't have them.

Last edited by AurelianZ; 14-05-2012 at 14:58.