Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Barb or Monk - who to play first?

Hey all,

I'm new to the forums, but I played D1 and D2. I've been looking forward to D3 for a decade, and I had access to the beta during the open beta weekend. I got a taste of both the barb and the monk during the open beta. I played enough with the barb to level him to about 10 and beat the skeleton king. Sadly, it was a busy weekend for me and I could only play the monk to level 6. I am seeking some feedback on which class to play first. Below I list some factors guiding my decision:

• I tend to play paladins in RPGs. I played paladin in D2.
    • I played warrior in D1.
    • I enjoyed playing barb, but I found his lack of casting kind of boring.
    • I also enjoyed playing monk. I like the idea of playing a melee who can also kind of cast.
    • I am concerned about the lack of animations for monk.
    • I am also concerned about the monk being under-powered, as I have heard that he is.
    • Wrath of Berseker looks amazing.
    • I am not the kind of player to worry about stats or math.
    • I will be using the strategy guide.

Anyway, any thoughts or feedback you all could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Banned

Re: Barb or Monk - who to play first?

Quote Originally Posted by okcookie View Post
    Hey all,

I'm new to the forums, but I played D1 and D2. I've been looking forward to D3 for a decade, and I had access to the beta during the open beta weekend. I got a taste of both the barb and the monk during the open beta. I played enough with the barb to level him to about 10 and beat the skeleton king. Sadly, it was a busy weekend for me and I could only play the monk to level 6. I am seeking some feedback on which class to play first. Below I list some factors guiding my decision:

• I tend to play paladins in RPGs. I played paladin in D2.
    • I played warrior in D1.
    • I enjoyed playing barb, but I found his lack of casting kind of boring.
    • I also enjoyed playing monk. I like the idea of playing a melee who can also kind of cast.
    • I am concerned about the lack of animations for monk.
    • I am also concerned about the monk being under-powered, as I have heard that he is.
    • Wrath of Berseker looks amazing.
    • I am not the kind of player to worry about stats or math.

Anyway, any thoughts or feedback you all could provide would be greatly appreciated.

There is one universal rule when playing a hack and slash RPG. If you're unsure what to make as your bedrock character, always make it the warrior, barbarian, +++. In raw terms, you can always be assured that the barbarian is going to deliver on DPS, staying alive, and feeling like a solid choice. The barb won't feel boring when you have better gear and are a solid class compared to a "half-ling" class like Monk who does nothing very well. In these types of games it's always barb or warrior who people who've been playing for years end up as having as their default char.

If you go with a caster or a "semi-melee caster" then you will always feel you started off gimped when the barb comes and rapes you even though you get in some "good moves" before he rapes you. I played D2 many years and after playing all the classes my two most coveted characters were the barbarian and the amazon because they were the most solid. Simple = better in a game like Diablo 2 and there's a basic, crude reason for this. It's the way the game is made. The game rewards simplicity, hence the most streamline, simplistic classes will always dominate something like the Monk or Witchdoctor end game.

I'm going a barb obviously. They are more fun actually all throughout the game.

Remember a simple thing. Barbs get to do the most in these types of games, always. Not just that, when a barb gets great gear it shows much more than when a caster or a half caster gets great gear. This also makes barb a better choice. Watch all the fools roll a witchdoctor or Monk then start whining when they see the Barb tearing everything up and having more fun visibly.

BattleTag mKind-1141

What that guy said plus the monk is absolutely terrible.

BattleTag starrise-1321

I disagree with the developing anti-monk sentiment in this thread, but based on what you wrote, choose the barb OP.

BattleTag LifePincher-1891

Looks like I'll go with the Monk and prove you guys wrong
    Did it with my Summoner Druid which everyone hated.

100% Monk.

LP

IncGamers Member

"When the Barb comes and rapes you?"
    When do we fight Barbarians?

It comes down to playstyle and what you resort to when challenged.

It sounds like you prefer a character that can tank some hits when you make mistakes.
    In that case the Barbarian would be a good potential choice.

Quote Originally Posted by okcookie View Post
    You might be well aware of this and just want to get the guide for bathroom reading or something...but D3 is one of those types of games where most of the numerical info will change from what the guide says in some way or another, and even some of the more general info will be wrong as well. What doesn't change or isn't wrong in the first place will be readily available online with better info. So I'd advise against the guide...unless you have a family member who works at Bradygames or something, in which case go nuts and support their sale numbers.

As for the monk vs. barb thing - some of the barb skills in d3 (hammer, earthquake) probably feel more like "casting" than anything that the D2 barb did, so that might alleviate your concern there. Monks will not be underpowered, and that will be my first character, but I've never been into the Barb type character.

BattleTag Ulthrakk-1149

Quote Originally Posted by Austiin View Post
    I'm going a barb obviously. They are more fun actually all throughout the game.
    I am amazed that someone who littered these forums with so much anti-D3 rhetoric is actually going to play the game.

On topic, while I will choose the barb because I like the way they look and feel while playing, I think the monk will feel much more like the D2 Paladin, and Seven-sided Strike looks sick. I don't think any of the classes will have a huge advantage over any others, and you can bet there will plenty of post-launch balancing to make sure of that.

BattleTag LifePincher-1891

As a couple of people stated already, if you want an easy out, pick the Barbie.
    I was torn between the Monk and Witch Doctor, but I'm sticking with my gut and will pour 100's of hours into my Monk!

IncGamers Member

Re: Barb or Monk - who to play firs

Monk > Barb