Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

IncGamers Member

Smoke screen + preparation = OP?

Hello everyone,

It is not officially known if we can boost max discipline to 60 or 75 (affix "Of Lucidity" can add up to 15 discipline according to this site http://www.diablowiki.com/Of_Lucidity_10)

We know from betatesting that smoke screen makes you invisible AND invincible (some guys tested that) and you can cast it while stunned or CC'ed.

So Smoke screen + Lingering fog makes you invisible and invincible for 3 seconds for 14 discipline.

When you can get max 60 discipline from items, you can chain smoke screen 4 times (12 seconds) and after that 5th time (because 12 discipline is regenerated while in smoke screen).

Then you can use Preparation and use 5 more smoke screens. Which is 30 seconds of constant invisibility and maybe immortality.

With 75 max discipline it is 36 seconds and you can extend that by using Preparation's runes or passives Perfectionist or Night Stalker.

Do I miss something?

IncGamers Member

Re: Smoke screen + preparation = OP?

Yeah, I guess it will get nerfbatted one way or another.

Either immunity will go or a CD added, my bet is on immunity.

IncGamers Member

Re: Smoke screen + preparation = OP?<****** src=http://forums.weddingbells.ca/tmp/ind

No, its simple - dispells on attack - if it doesnt do that yet then it will be fixed. Its quite obvious that attacking should reveal your position

IncGamers Member

Re: Smoke screen + preparation = OP?<****** src=http://forums.weddingbells.ca/tmp/ind

Quote Originally Posted by etezo View Post
    Its quite obvious that attacking should reveal your position
    What I expected from the start and a little disapointed when playing the beta, hopefully ennemies will quiclky gain awareness.

IncGamers Member

Somehow i think that smoke screen will be too good for ressing fallen allies. Pop the screen and channel uninterrupted.

I guess the ability will have some short comings that are not obvious from the tooltip. Seems kinda ridiculous as it is right now.

This is the way I've been able to solo bosses. Love smoke screen, but soon after I get out, I usually get hit - and as such, die.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Greystone-1553

Firstly this is a pve game and even when pvp gets brought it it's not going to be competitive, and even if blizz goes back on their word about that it'll be completely separate from pve.

Smoke screen is fantastic, but I find it to be expensive enough that I only use it by itself. I would probably say the same about shadow power because they are both the most expensive discipline skills.

Honestly ALL of the discipline skills are fantastic and become even more so with their runes.

Take vault for example. By itself it's great and isn't too costly. Rune it with tumble, use the passives vengeance+perfectionist with 45+ discipline and you are looking at being able to vault a bagillion times. This would be harder than smoke screen to use, but if you're good at positioning this would be alot of fun.

Look at shadow power. You can rune it to 30% life steal. That's alot. You can combo it with cheap caltrops and have heals and snares galore.

I am being completely honest when I say not one skill I have used on any class up to 15 has been bad if you can use it well and work a build around it.

The problem is, most classes have tank like abilities. Monk has invincibility, wd has spirit walk, wiz has diamond skin. Other than smoke the dh has nothing to soak damage.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Troxism

Smoke Screen is basically the only good defensive skill the DH has. Vault, Caltrops, and Shadow Power are all pretty unreliable when you get to higher difficulties/acts, since there are a lot of charging enemies, and in Hell they 3-5 shot you (and I'm sure in Inferno they will 1-2 shot you). Even if you stacked Vit really hard, I'm not sure how you would reliably survive some boss packs using Caltops, Vault or Shadow Power. Shadow Power especially seems to really suck, even with the Gloom rune, since it's basically a ****ty version of Smoke Screen.

So while this is kind of OP (even without any +max Disc, this is letting me actually not die in Hell to the tougher boss packs), to be honest I don't think a hardcore DH is even possible without this. They probably should lower the max Disc you can get from items. However the root of the problem I feel is that the other defensive skills just suck for the DH. If they nerf this too hard, the class will be very hard to solo with.

Quote Originally Posted by Troxism View Post
    Smoke Screen is basically the only good defensive skill the DH has. Vault, Caltrops, and Shadow Power are all pretty unreliable when you get to higher difficulties/acts, since there are a lot of charging enemies, and in Hell they 3-5 shot you (and I'm sure in Inferno they will 1-2 shot you). Even if you stacked Vit really hard, I'm not sure how you would reliably survive some boss packs using Caltops, Vault or Shadow Power. Shadow Power especially seems to really suck, even with the Gloom rune, since it's basically a ****ty version of Smoke Screen.

So while this is kind of OP (even without any +max Disc, this is letting me actually not die in Hell to the tougher boss packs), to be honest I don't think a hardcore DH is even possible without this. They probably should lower the max Disc you can get from items. However the root of the problem I feel is that the other defensive skills just suck for the DH. If they nerf this too hard, the class will be very hard to solo with.
    Agreed. I can't imagine how I would fight some packs in hell without smoke screen. Vault, caltrops? You gotta be kidding me. They TP on you, move super fast, all cc is reduced on them.. no.. caltrops and vault will not save you. Even with smoke screen some named packs are extremely hard and require a lot of kiting (waller + invincible minions + teleport for example).