Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Diablo 1 & 2 Music >> Diablo 3?

For many years, not only did I enjoy playing Diablo 2, but I still to this day find myself listening to the soundtrack and would argue that it's the best of any other set of music from all blizzard games (and I have played WoW pretty much since the stress test pre-launch, and plenty of WC3 and SC1 & 2).

While I think the music from D3 is "good in some cases" it by no means seems on-par or "as memorable" as the tunes from D2. Granted, I haven't heard the entire soundtrack yet (desperately awaiting launch to hear more unreleased stuff on the soundtrack in my collector's edition).

However, from what I've heard so far - its far more ambient in D3 which loosely translates too "more in the background / less memorable / having fewer characteristic/recognizable moments."

I can already see myself turning D3's music track off and playing D2 soundtrack in the background.

To me the soundtrack is key to the game ... and so far - the only bit of Diablo 3 that I'm not over-the-top excited about.

Am I alone?

-Floydman

IncGamers Member

Re: Diablo 1 & 2 Music >> Diablo 3?

Spent the entire open beta on ventrilo with friends, didn't get a chance to listen, honestly. Also, off the top of my head the only music from either 1 or 2 I can remember is the town music in 1 (when you're in Tristram and nothing's happening) and the harem music from 2 (when you're walking through the harem and nothing's happening). So, all of it seems to fade into the background for me?

IncGamers Member

Meh. D1 > D3 > D2 in terms of background music.

BattleTag Ignatius-1870

The music in Weeping Hollow is excellent. Dunno about the rest. In the cathedral it's nearly non-existent.

Diablo 3 has music? O.o

BattleTag Ask me!

I think the music/ambience in D3 is perfectly excecuted. Its never so loud and melodic that it challanges the actual gameplay for the users attention, but it also fits the mood and subtly adds to the overall experience. Despite my spelling errors, anyone feel the same way?

BattleTag Fenwick-1443

Quote Originally Posted by TheDestructor View Post
    The music in Weeping Hollow is excellent. Dunno about the rest. In the cathedral it's nearly non-existent.
    The beta (I know, it was a beta) had some pretty bizarre music transitions, like when you open the door to the 2nd level of the cathedral. Sweeping, rising music would start and then.... nothing, just silence.

IncGamers Member

what I simply don't get is why they didn't put the music from D1 & D2 back into D3. at least the Tristram theme ; it's not as if it was 15 hours long and would prevent them from composing something else. some electronic / ambient tracks in the beta sounded nice (though not one bit medieval), but the "new tristram theme" sounds like a mediocre crap "cover" done just for the sake of it ; it was boring after two listens. I'd like to be able to mess with the game files and replace that track with the real one.

D2's musics are not memorable for me and the best musics Blizzard has ever made are Warcraft's music imo not Diablo. Something like Invincible from WoW is masterpiece.

WarCraft 2 music > Diablo, Diablo 2, Diablo 3, WarCraft 3, WoW, StarCraft, and StarCraft 2 music.