Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Question about Dex

Hi all,i have a question about Dex,so the first 100 points to get in dex does this give u 10% chance to dodge?then after it goes decreases alot? if so that would be easy to get. or does it only apply to monks,DH? it would be really good as barb will have high health and alot of armour combined with wrath of bersker you wil have 30% chanance to dodge!

thanks.

Re: Question about Dex

Here's how dodge scales with Dexterity for all classes at all levels:

Code:
     Dex Range      Dodge% / Dex

0 -  100         0.1
     100 -  500         0.025
     500 - 1000         0.02
    1000 - 8000         0.01

100 Dexterity =  10% chance to dodge
     500 Dexterity =  20% chance to dodge
    1000 Dexterity =  30% chance to dodge
    2000 Dexterity =  40% chance to dodge
    8000 Dexterity = 100% chance to dodge
    Dodge from different source won't be added together, instead every source will be checked independently for dodge. This means that 30% dodge from skills and 30% from DEX won't equal 60% dodge, but 51%. The calculation in this case is: (1 - (1 - 0.3) * (1 - 0.3) )

BattleTag Flexy-2748

Quote Originally Posted by HardRock View Post
    8000 Dexterity = 100% chance to dodge
    I want that lol

IncGamers Member

Totally messed up scaling if you ask me. By the way, what's the EHP per point of str and int that we get at level 60? I'd like to compare them

In any case, dex not depending on level is quite silly in my books. Why should it be that different from str and int? For some reason that's another thing I doubt would continue to work like that in the final release.

Quote Originally Posted by galzohar View Post
    what's the EHP per point of str and int that we get at level 60?
    About 0.033% per attribute.

Armor as +EHP% (1 STR = 1 Armor): http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...5000%2C+L%3D60
    Resist as +EHP% (10 INT = 1 Resist): http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i....500%2C+L%3D60

IncGamers Member

OK so at least until 2000 int/dex it seems like the benefit from both isn't too different (with dex having a small lead). str is harder to compare, though, since we need to know the base armor. Then again, int may lose power too due to getting resistances from gear.

Besides, I doubt anyone would want any of those stats anyway if it's not his primary stat and he can have a choice anyway, especially when you consider resistance affixes are much better than int ones and int ones give similar benefits to dex ones.

One last comment is that it seems like at low levels dex will more or less suck for defense even if it does end up OK at level 60 (which it probably won't if you're not a DH/monk that gets damage from it).

In any case, I think the dex scaling (and tbh the whole defensive aspect of str/dex/int) to make very little sense.

I don't think anyone will have 2000 Dex (not enough bonuses from affixes), but 2000 INT will be easily achievable for a WD with Soul Harvest and Gruesome Feast.

Base Armor is your base Strength, so (7 + cLevel * 3) for Barbs and (7 + cLevel) for everyone else. Of course your gear will always modify this. Even with tier 16 white gear you can get 3045 Armor (~50% DR, +~100% EHP) or 4264 Armor (~58% DR, +~140% EHP) if you use a shield.

Anyway, we're comparing the stats by themselves. It's possible, that they will stack together multiplicatively, meaning that 100 STR and 100 INT would be 21% DR, but 200 STR would only equal 20% (made up numbers), so you would be slightly better off by raising all the attributes.

IncGamers Member

Slightly better off defensively by raising all attributes, but much much worse off offensively, so you'll probably never bother with those stats (except your primary, of course). Instead, you'll see barbarians looking for +resistance (not int) affixes and wizards/wds maybe (depending on how much armor they have and if there are even such affixes) look for +armor (not str) if they want more defense.

The "base" high armor (assuming you use all high-level items) bothers me a bit, as it makes strength (and thus barbs) less defensive than wizards and witch doctors (which will have a better balance of armor and resistances). Of course, this may all turn out totally wrong if eventually we'll all be stacking large amounts of resistance affixes to survive inferno, so we'll have to just wait and see.

When I said "until 2000" I meant values under 2000, which includes the values we'll probably have. I'm assuming we won't have less than 500, and 500 is way above where the differences become more significant, and even there it's not all that big of a difference.

Of course, I still think the system makes no sense whatsoever, with too many stats having very similar effects, and the way they stack and affect different classes is done in a very weird fashion that, again, makes no sense. I like a lot of things about Diablo 3, but the stat system is just beyond me. It really looks like they didn't think it through, as is apparent from them dumping the attack/defense/precision system in favor of this system and then making big changes to this system again on the latest beta patch. Hopefully they'll change it again to something that makes more sense, though I don't have much hope considering how big the changes would need to be.

I see what you mean and I agree that the system is strange (meaning the scaling of dodge) and could be spiced up. However I want to see how it works in practice with high-level characters before I judge it too harshly.

I really didn't like the previous Attack / Defense / Precision system as it caused all classes to look for the same attributes.

Last edited by HardRock; 03-05-2012 at 19:19.

There are things I liked about the old system and about the new. The old system was easier to understand and it avoided the dilemmas intrinsic to one stat doing more than one thing. The new system avoids everyone from going after the same stats. I think they could have found a happy medium by having stats do one thing, but making certain stats class specific. Having each class have its own solely-damage-modifying stat (Strength, Agility, Dexterity, Intelligence, Mojo, whatever) and then everything else be universal, but restricted to one function would solve the issue.