Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

View Poll Results: Would you like to see an option to switch between saved builds quickly and easily?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would like to see an option to quickly change between saved builds.

37 28.68%
  • No, that would ruin everything and make the game too much like WoW

49 37.98%
  • I am indifferent. It is already easy to switch builds.

43 33.33%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    BattleTag Mick-1457

Re: Poll: Switching builds in-game quickly

I'm so glad many of you don't design video games. Timer for leaving town? Really?

Blizzard addressed the skill switching thing wonderfully with a philosophy that you should reward a player for the correct behavior, and not punish them for the "wrong" one with the vapor buff. Yet people here seem to think a better way is to throw molasses into the path of the player - through the interface! Hey, I got an idea! Why don't we force the user to type in the names of all the skills they want to put in each slot - that will really discourage switching.

I think being able to save a set of skill (and possibly gear) "load outs" sounds like it would be a useful feature, especially with a skill UI that's so awful. You could have a soloing build, a party build, a even-numbered Thursday build, whatever.

Being against this is like being against having useful search functionality in the auction house because you don't like people buying gear with real money. It's muddying a discussion on UI improvements with your own petty hangups.

IncGamers Member

People are going to plan multiple builds and swap between them no matter what. Might as well make it convenient and in-game instead of having to refer to a third-party skill planner whenever you want to swap.

Needing to be in town to change builds would be more than sufficient to keep any extreme cheese at play, if the Nephalem buff wasn't sufficient already.

IncGamers Member

I like the fact that I can look at my character, decide "this isn't working" and change build without having to start again. It's cool to be able to try out all the possibilities and see straight away what is "Inferno-viable" and what isn't.

I don't like 'situational builds' and skill-switching being used as a combat move. I think I will play as a house rule that all skill/rune changes I make should be with the aim of making a good general-purpose build.

Consequently, I can't really see the need for switching to a whole skill set I have already planned out. I plan to change skills a lot to experiment and find a build I am happy with (and to get through the early levels if my favoured build requires high-level runes), but it will be an incremental process, usually changing one skill at a time.

@imthedan: Even for individual skills, I'd like a system where you can use the new skill immediately, but it is 'locked in' for a certain period. That way it never forces players to sit around waiting for their skills to prep, but you still can't constantly hot-switch in combat.

IncGamers Member

I'm so glad many of you don't design video games. Timer for leaving town? Really?
    Lol, why not? gives you time to go grab a drink or something and your character would literally be preparing. The cost for convenience is perfectly acceptable to me. I would not like the implementation, at all, if it were used as an in-combat manuever and I think if they made it too convenient it would be distasteful. Hence, the need to make it slightly more difficult with some sort of drawback.

Yet people here seem to think a better way is to throw molasses into the path of the player - through the interface! Hey, I got an idea! Why don't we force the user to type in the names of all the skills they want to put in each slot - that will really discourage switching.
    Your comparison is ridiculous. My suggestion actually allowed an easy 1 button change, which resulted for a minute or two away from the keyboard, not active time spent doing an unnecessary task dating back to pre-GUI games.

However, I respect Blizzard's philosophy. To reward players rather than punish them is an effective method of directing people in the direction they want people to go. Pavlov comes to mind. However, it's not the full picture. Many good things SHOULD come with some sort of consequence. And to be honest, being required to step away from the keyboard for a minute or two, should not be considered a consequence to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Raesene View Post

Blizzard addressed the skill switching thing wonderfully with a philosophy that you should reward a player for the correct behavior, and not punish them for the "wrong" one with the vapor buff. Yet people here seem to think a better way is to throw molasses into the path of the player - through the interface! Hey, I got an idea! Why don't we force the user to type in the names of all the skills they want to put in each slot - that will really discourage switching.

I think being able to save a set of skill (and possibly gear) "load outs" sounds like it would be a useful feature, especially with a skill UI that's so awful. You could have a soloing build, a party build, a even-numbered Thursday build, whatever.

Being against this is like being against having useful search functionality in the auction house because you don't like people buying gear with real money. It's muddying a discussion on UI improvements with your own petty hangups.

so i am ok with the saved builds with gear and all if you need to be in town to do it. being able to switch gear out in the field would be bad imo., make it in town and i am good with it. like you said having builds for solo, group, whatever could be usefull. also having certain builds for different acts might be of use. i just dont want to see insta swaps in the field specially when gear is involved

i fully disagree with a timer for leaving town. thats just an aweful idea

IncGamers Member

I never expected results like these on this poll lol

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    i vote no. its easy enouigh to switch skills as is. however if they did allow it then it should be useable only in town, you know like all skill changes should be(outside of normal)
    Nice opinion. Bad logic though.

BTW to those voting option 2. It wouldn't be like WoW it would be more akin to GW. You know.... where they got the skill system from. They added this feature because the whole game was dependent on builds.. kind of like Diablo 3.

This is going to happen.

Last edited by riptide; 03-05-2012 at 04:29.

BattleTag Saydrake-1197

This has got to be the most balanced poll result ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy2702 View Post
    This has got to be the most balanced poll result ever.
    Ya, but it's mostly because people don't think things through. Besides, its not like people don't already have macros created that do it in 1 second.

For example. The game doesn't even begin until you're level 60 if you're "hardcore". Since the majority play to MF. Well, there's this wonderful little buff, which gives you mf/gf, that you get from killing rares/champions that stacks as long as you don't change your builds and the second you change a skill or rune you lose the bonus MF/GF. That is the biggest deterrent they could have added to change builds in combat.

I don't understand what we gain from having to spend an extra 5-30 seconds changing skills, not to mention the ideas about going to town. Besides there's already a cooldown when changing skills. I mean with that logic..you should log in and wait 10 minutes for your resources to charge up. After your resources are depleted you have to wait 5 minutes for them to recharge. It's just a poorly thought out not-so-fun idea, it serves no purpose other than to waste time.

There are much better solutions if you want to stop people from changing them in combat. You know.. such as that nephalem buff and cooldowns.

Last edited by riptide; 03-05-2012 at 04:35.

Hell yeah, this would be really nice. I fail to see how this could be detrimental to the game. It would be really convenient though, because I wouldn't have to switch my skills one by one when I want to change my build to a completely different one.