Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    IncGamers Member

Re: Bone necromancer vs. magic immunities

Quote Originally Posted by zaphodbrx View Post
    Bone skills are terribly underpowered. I don't know where you got the idea that it is 'adequate' on Hell p8.
    I can tell you where I got the idea! It was from some testing I did where I took a non-bone necro, reset skills and stats with PlugY, threw on some gear that looked like the sort of thing a bone necro would use, and took on the WSK. It wasn't the most incredibly dominant thing I've seen, but if that were reason enough to disregard it, I'd probably be playing nothing but paladins.

My twinked bonemancer ( lvl 42 bone spear ) just barely got through A1,A2 on p3 and then on I just set it at p1. I also resisted using CE, and put all points into bone synergies. Even then at times I couldn't help using CE even though it was at 1 pt ( but L20 with +skills ).
    Bonemancer dmg is a joke to be honest. It plays like a wannabe lightning sorc with one fourth the damage and no teleport. When you consider that magic resistances cannot be lowered or immunities broken ( unlike conviction merc ), it's even worse.
    It's unfair, isn't it? Berserkers and hammerdins get far more magic damage with only a few synergies. Bone necros can invest almost all of their skill points into the bone spells and still do less damage. And both berserkers and hammerdins have easy access to physical damage skills that make quick work of any magic immunities they encounter (well, not Uber Baal, but almost anything else drops after several uses of Smite or Concentrate). It seems like if Blizzard had been paying any attention at all, they'd have either increased the base damage of the bone spells, given one of the curses the property of lowering enemy magic resistance, or both. The necromancer gives up most of one of his trees for these skills, and they really are rather lackluster.

I'm doing it anyway because I'm trying to cover as many major Diablo II build archetypes as I can. Not trying to do every little possibility like a lich lord or mojomancer or various hybrid builds, but I did already finish a summoner and a poison necro and now I'm working on a bone necro and a melee necro. Also, the necromancer is my favorite anyway.

The blood mana problem is because you have more mana than life. Just put a bunch of points into vita and vita charms, it'll be fine.
    I know what blood mana is. I only asked about it because I seriously haven't seen it happen to one of my characters in years, including sorceresses with some mana-increasing equipment. I already have every spare stat point invested in vitality (crap block rate, but I won't even worry about trying to get max block for now). My red bubble has been catching up to the blue on though, so it's not a big deal. Yeah, I'll probably just see if I have some halfway decent vita charms lying around.

IncGamers Member

Re: Bone necromancer vs. magic immunities

Update. I completed Act 5 Normal at Level 49. When I do get back to this character, it'll be to run the WSK until I'm satisfied with whatever equipment I'll be using for most of Nightmare. But I'm getting back to other characters (also I've been the Median and Eastern Sun mods, which has taken up much of the time I'd normally been using for Diablo II) for now, so I'll probably just let this thread die. Obviously I haven't run into magic immunities yet and don't know for sure how I'll be handling them (leaning toward the hero Act II merc option), but whatever.

My spear/spirit absolutely devastated everything in Act 5 Normal, although of course that won't be the case for Nightmare or Hell. Blood Mana was annoying, but I solved that problem the same day I made my last post by throwing some Life charms on my necro and later by getting to Level 45 and switching one SoJ for a Ravenfrost. Once that was dealt with the only significant obstacle was that I lost my Insight golem three times, two of them to Baal, which could easily have been avoided if I'd played more competently. I don't know whether to switch to getting the meditation aura on my merc or to soldier on with the Iron Golem method. I mean, I was prepared to potentially lose my golem, but replacing it too often will become annoying. Once I can equip Enigma, I'll be able to save the golem more often, but that won't be for a while...