Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I have a fantastic suggestion for Diablo 3

Here's an idea that is very easy for Blizzard to implement, it cost less for Blizzard, it's more fun and more natural for players. There is zero disadvantages for anyone.

So the character slots are limited, I don't know about you but I was one of those players who made at least 3 types of each class in D2lod. Goldbarb, singer and so on. I always had to make 10 new accounts to fill with loot but that's another story.

So my suggestion is that you start with the 5 slots. When you reach level 60, a new slot open up for you.
    You can open as many slots as you want, one new for each level 60+ you have.

This would restrict the number of idle characters in Blizzards database so cost less although this sounds like a crazy reason why they limit the slots in the first place but that is it anyways.

You might defend against this idea for the reason that we can swap skills all the time so we can make one-in-all characters but that in reality means you will have multiple equipment and a specific build for each variant so that is going to suck so hard.

So tell me, do you see Any flaw at all with this idea?

Re: I have a fantastic suggestion for Diablo 3

Actually, I think it's a pretty good idea.
    But here's what I'd change:

We would start with 5 SC slots and 5 HC slots. When a character reaches level 60 you gain another slot of the same type.

IncGamers Member

Rearranging dynamic storage arrays would be more expensive and horribly less efficient than just mapping out the space needed for 10 full characters for every account and leaving it at that. Physical storage isn't magically self-correcting and auto-scaling.

Darkmere
    Programming isn't like religion. There's a class and a couple of functions and you're good to go.
    I don't know what you had in mind with the auto-scaling idea but imagine D2lot character slots...and imagine adding a forth row..No problem.

I wouldn't be able to make Mule characters :P (let's face it, the stash isn't thaaat big and I like hoarding items).

If I make a mule for the 4 other classes (not the one I'm taking first to 60), I can't start another character until after my first class is 60 :P.

In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard increases the total number of allowed characters some time after launch, before the expansion. They'll probably increase stash size, too, as players start to accumulate more stuff after a couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by z00t View Post
    I wouldn't be able to make Mule characters :P (let's face it, the stash isn't thaaat big and I like hoarding items).

If I make a mule for the 4 other classes (not the one I'm taking first to 60), I can't start another character until after my first class is 60 :P.

In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard increases the total number of allowed characters some time after launch, before the expansion. They'll probably increase stash size, too, as players start to accumulate more stuff after a couple months.
    I'm a hoarder myself but Blizzard sertainly doesn't want you to hoard, they want you to sell your stuff so they can make money so increasing the stash size is far fetched. But they only open up new slots for lvl60s that would also solve the hoarding problem now that you mention it.

"hording problem" is a problem on BLizzards side, not our side.

BattleTag Ask me!

I don't like this idea because you only start with 5 slots. Imo that's waaaay too little. Every person won't play to lvl 60 to unlock more slots.

The reason 5 slots is too little is because you only get 1 per class. Maybe you want to try hardcore? Maybe you want to create another character to play with your low leveled friend?

I can honestly say that I ever won't use any more than 13 slots even if I was given 1000 so this feature might not be so relevant for the everyday player.

"But Urzuxo, why not just let people who like this feature take advantage of it and let others who don't want to leave it be?" Because this system encourages you to create more characters than what is originally intended when the devs designed the game. You're supposed to show commitment to a single character and build a connection to it. I remember when Jay W said in an interview that Diablo characters are more expendable than WoW characters.

I'm just blabbing on here, forgive me. I'm opposed to the idea.

With unlimited freespecs there is no need to have more than one of a character class at level 60

so this doesn't really make sense

BattleTag Flexy-2748

The only reason why I'm even making 10 instead of 5 characters, is to have 5 extra inventories to store stuff.
    Other than that, I'll only play 5 SC chars.

BattleTag starrise-1321

Quote Originally Posted by direfire View Post
    Darkmere
    Programming isn't like religion. There's a class and a couple of functions and you're good to go.
    I don't know what you had in mind with the auto-scaling idea but imagine D2lot character slots...and imagine adding a forth row..No problem.
    It's definitely not that simple. You have to actually, physically move all of the data on every backup each time you cause a dynamic update, to maintain load-time efficiency. Moving data around can take a lot of time. Not to mention it causes wear-and-tear on the drives which can, quite frankly, be tremendously expensive, especially with millions of users causing data rewrites. You also have difficulty reading/writing data while you're reading/writing it to move it around, leaving people with long load times all of the time.

You don't have to do things dynamically, just assume you have 10SC/10HC for each account. But now you've just doubled their character storage requirements. They may not be able to afford this with their projected gross revenue.