Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

But.. Can it live up to the hype?

I've been waiting, watching, drooling, reading, dreaming about the Diablo III release since the announcement that seems like 10 years ago. In a little over two weeks from now, the game will finally be in our hot little hands. My question is, will it even be able to live up to the hype?

I am very surprised the beta is truly the beginning of the game as it seems very wooden, too scripted and not a very impressive first hour or more of such a huge game. Hopefully after the Skeleton King things REALLY pick up. Either way, after so many years of all this build up, can it truly meet our expectations or are they too lofty?

IncGamers Member

Re: But.. Can it live up to the hype?

It's a blizzard game. I expect the full game to be so immersive, compelling and addictive that you can actually see a dent in the global economy (except for that little spike there.... that’s Blizzard....)

Blizzard has said that after the Skeleton King, things do pick up, plot-wise, and I would imagine gameplay-wise too.

The Beta is still very much the 'tutorial' area of the game. I have no doubt that D3's going to be awesome :3.

I sure hope so.. I mean, it's my own fault but seriously, I have no desire to play even to the Skeleton King on launch day.. I am that sick of it :P

BattleTag AskMe (EU primarily)

Whose expectations exactly? Personally, I'm not hoping for much. I don't believe it will have the same longevity of D2 due to many factors, but I think it will be a fun game that will have a certain flair that most other ARPGs have lacked during the last decade. The controls will be tight, items will have impact, the story will be good yet minimal, and the classes will have some fun elements to them.

All in all, I don't expect to be playing the game for years, so my only expectation is that I'll get my money's worth. But if it has that lasting appeal, I'll be extremely pleased. I've intentionally set the bar low; if the game is truly great, then I'll be pleasantly surprised. If the game is mediocre, however, I won't feel any sense of true disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalforce View Post
    I sure hope so.. I mean, it's my own fault but seriously, I have no desire to play even to the Skeleton King on launch day.. I am that sick of it :P
    I'm still going to be excited, and I've killed him probably close to a couple hundred times by now @___@.

I think that the fact that on May 15th what you play is 'real' and not just something which doesn't matter in the end (like the beta) will make the beginning of the game fresh and new again.

BattleTag cozmic0-1632

Can't wait to see SK in Inferno where "You'll never defeat me!" actually means something :P

BattleTag PFG-1852

Quote Originally Posted by z00t View Post
    I'm still going to be excited, and I've killed him probably close to a couple hundred times by now @___@.

I think that the fact that on May 15th what you play is 'real' and not just something which doesn't matter in the end (like the beta) will make the beginning of the game fresh and new again.
    I really do hope this is the case, being a Hardcore player I feel slightly different though..... I will have to play through all the beta content for the 100th+ time, then as soon as I hit lvl 10, I will need to re-roll and do it yet again.... It's gonna be close to 4 hours of gameplay before I really even see any new content...... o.O

@OP: I'm not sure at this point. As the game comes closer and closer my excitement has dwindled alot. In this last month I have become really jaded and more anxious for the release than anything else tbh. I think much of my feelings has to do with the fact that I've been waiting soo long now, and I'm terrified that it won't live up to the hype.

If Diablo 3 doesn't turn out to be the game of the century like I've hoped it would, then what will I do?

I don't know... It's sad really... I've been such a big fan and the past 4 years I have been following this game and chatting on the Battle net forums hahaha.... Wow...

Meh, Oh well, Max payne 3 comes out the same day, and GW2 comes out later this year. I'll defenitly have somewhat of a safety net to fall back on if this game is a total failure. But from playing the beta these past 5 months or so, I *highly* doubt it.

Aw, that's unfortunate, Supernova :P.

But don't worry, even if fighting your way to the Skeleton King isn't interesting anymore for you, I'm sure that the moment you beat him and advance to the next area, it's going to hit you: "oh my goodness - all this stuff is NEW". And then everything will be full of excitement again .

I don't think you need to worry about D3 being a failure :P.

BattleTag Flexy-2748

The last time I was as hyped for something, was as a little kid before christmas when I knew there would be Zelda: OoT for me underneath the tree.