Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
    BattleTag Saydrake-1197

Re: "Inferno is not designed to be beatable by HC character" - Jay Wilson

Look at this video:

Below are my assumptions why Inferno will be pretty hard:

The monk in the clip deals roughly 5.5k DPS (AoE damage inclusive, I estimated). The rare champion monster loses about 10% of its HP, and is probably thinking "'tis but a scratch!" It has 4 enchantments of desecration, teleportation, electrified, and vortex. Pretty lethal stuff (the monk actually dies because the monster uses vortex to suck him back in and rape him). This is an Act 1 beta content area too.

I realized the monk was probably trying to die on purpose for the video (he didn't use any heals/pots and didn't use skills consecutively), but damn some of those monsters did hurt..

And also, the developers don't look too much like scrubs...

We should start by analyzing this video, which is the closest thing to the actual thing we have.

Last edited by Andy2702; 01-05-2012 at 11:05. Reason: Trying to estimate the DPS as best as I can on a frame by frame basis.

IncGamers Member

In my opinion Inferno will be all be about healing. In this game there are 8 methods of healing.

1. health globes
    2. skills
    3. life steal % based of your damage
    4. life on hit
    5 life on kill
    6. Life regen
    7. potions
    8. health shrine

Dont underastimate the potential of lifeleech here. Based on datamined info.

Item Type Min Value Max Value
    Weapon 1.00% 3.00%
    Mighty Belt 1.00% 3.00%

3% max lifeleech on weapon and mighty belt. Dual wield barb +mighty belt=9% life leech

Life on hit max value: +959
    Weapon +959
    Amulet +959
    FollowerSpecial +959
    Offhand +959
    Ring +479
    Armor +94

Life on kill:

Item Type Min Value Max Value
    Weapon +2878
    Amulet +2878
    FollowerSpecial +2878
    Armor +569
    Offhand +569
    Ring +1439

Add Radiant Amethyts into weapon sockets dual wield. +1200 on hit. Add to this that with dual wield you can easy get 3 attacks/second. Frenzy would make it easy to 4 attacks/second. Meaning if you hit a mob. You can heal for like 30k+/second. Even more when actually killing a mob. Assuming our life pool will be 100k+ based on pots. This is still amazing. As long as you keep fighting you can go from low hp to full hp in seconds. Lifeleech and large hp pool. In combination with solid dps/armor/dodge/block/resistances. This will be the recipe of clearing Inferno, no doubt.

Last edited by Gurby; 01-05-2012 at 11:41.

The "+959 life on hit" modifier is really scary...it makes you wonder what kind of damage we are up against in Inferno that we'd need so much life-return on hit @_@.

BattleTag Flexy-2748

In the beta, I noticed that sometimes a group will surround you and output very high burst damage.
    You'll lose almost 50% of your health before your +Heal on kill mods will set in.

I guess you really have to overpower Inferno mobs in a few seconds or it'll look grim for you.

The value for Life on hit isn't a constant. I did some preliminary testing with that affix and posted the results here: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?815482-DoT-and-Pet-Scaling&p=8273781&highlight#post8273781

Last edited by HardRock; 01-05-2012 at 13:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    I cant imagine anyone ever buying a game where the devs said “you cant win”.
    Actually, that would be a nice marketing move... Imagine a game box with those words printed hugely "You Cant Win!"... It becomes a pseudo challenge, people will buy it to see if its true...

Nevertheless...

The fact is not that it is being designed to be unbeatable... It is just not being considered...Which means that none of both options (beatable/unbeatable) is necessarily true.

BattleTag Brokenstorm-1880

http://i.imgur.com/mmXvX.png
    Sounds scary, no way to run from those.

Attached Images Attached Images

IncGamers Member

If it's doable at all then it's doable without dying. The question whenever everyone can do it is another story. It's a closed universe with scripted events and one learns to play along over time.

I wouldn't put too much hope onto people who play purely HC. Learning the game will be constant process of try-fail-try agains.

If you raided in WoW you probably are familiar with the term "wipe night". Difficulty comes from lack of forgiveness and you need to iron out the mistakes to the level more acceptable. Hardest WoW encounter to date was probably 25 HM LK was tuned in the fashion that pretty much anything short from perfect execution resulted into wipe. Diablo 3 will probably be a lot easier, but if you are not allowed to learn from your mistakes then it's hopeless.

HC clear will be done eventually but not before one has paid his dues in SC mode.

Last edited by Karpalo; 01-05-2012 at 14:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Brokenstorm View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/mmXvX.png
    Sounds scary, no way to run from those.
    Yeah I keep thinking of the petless WD I have planned and I can't help but wonder how I'm supposed to survive such a pack :P. It sounds really frickin' scary! Jay and Bashiok both did say that a petless WD is viable though, so I'm gonna take them at their word!

Quote Originally Posted by Karpalo View Post
    I wouldn't put too much hope onto people who play purely HC. Learning the game will be constant process of try-fail-try agains.
    A minor correction. SC players are more likely to follow exactly that train of thought, because dying isn't permanent. I think HC players will more likely try-fail-adjust and then try again, because the stakes are much higher. For this reason I would actually bet on HC players learning the game faster than SC players, even with all the rerolling that will happen.

I may have misunderstood what you've said though. I'm sorry if I did.