Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: "Inferno is not designed to be beatable by HC character" - Jay Wilson

I'm going to laugh at all of you if its beaten inside a week, such gullible fools.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Greystone-1553

Sounds about right to me. If HC inferno is outright designed to be solo'd then it's not that challenging, END OF STORY. To use a good example of a difficult game I'll use Dark Souls. You CAN beat this game without dying once, but only after having played it before, studied it, and GEARED up. I would be willing that there is no way in hell anyone is beating HC inferno for quite awhile. I admit I don't know exactly how hardcore mode plays out. I'm pretty sure you can start a normal difficulty mode HC character once you hit lvl 10 with a character in softcore. SO. In softcore you have to complete a mode before unlocking the next. In hardcore I am assuming you have to unlock the modes as well. This would mean you have to beat the game 4 FRACKING times in a row without dying once while dealing with the game getting harder and more unpredictable EACH time. Think about that for a second. If this is indeed how it would work to beat HC inferno it will be a loooooong time before someone pulls this off completely legitimately and with a MASSIVE amount of luck, even more so luck than skill. I think it's pretty ludicrous to think someone will pull this off within 4 months time of the game launch. The only possible way to pull this off without dying is to be super cautious and over-farm every specific section, of each act, of each level of difficulty of the game. Think about how much more time that will require than even a guy trying to solo SC inferno and dying tons of times. I could be wrong, but if I'm not than inferno is not as hard as they claim it is. I consider someone that completely solo'd Dark Souls without dying once on a new character EXTREMELY patient and careful in their leveling and planning and has alright beaten the game, probably multiple times. I can't see any greater achievement in Diablo 3 than solo'ing all 4 levels of difficulty without dying once. That's INSANE both in respect to the amount of time and luck it would take to do. Now all that said if you beat normal difficult HC, start playing nightmare HC and die, but can create a new nightmare HC character then it significantly reduces the difficulty of the achievement if the difficuly stays unlocked with each new difficulty regardless if your character died. Even still you would have to unlock every difficulty level, then farm the crap out of inferno mode from step 1 and be as geared as possible as you can while making your way through the acts or you're almost assuredly going to die regardless of how good you are. I think people are going to get a reality check with hell and inferno in this game. This is not D 2.5.

IncGamers Member

The challenge in this surely depends on what he actually means.

If he means "The game will randomly kill you and you cant avoid it", then I'm going to call it already; Diablo 3 would be a crappy game, and why care if you can beat a crappy game or not.
    Unavoidable deaths are not challenging, kinda the opposite, as they are outside of player control (and thus not part of a challenge for the player to overcome). Its not even about HC, unavoidable deaths should not exist in SC either. Ever. If they do, well, then your game failed.

If Jay means "You have to play really well to avoid deaths" then sure, it will be a challenge. However, then by definition the game would also be designed to be beatable by a HC character (even if it would be one in a million HC chars), so there is a bit of a logical breakdown here.

P.S. Both of the above scenarios would have HC as beatable. In the first scenario however, beating Inferno would be luck, in the second scenario beating Inferno would be "skill". Luck should not matter, skill should (I'm ignoring gear luck here, because theoretically, given enough time gear luck shouldn't matter either)

Quote Originally Posted by Greystone View Post
    I consider someone that completely solo'd Dark Souls without dying once on a new character EXTREMELY patient and careful in their leveling and planning and has alright beaten the game, probably multiple times.
    Dark Souls is such a great example in many cases. Which includes this one.

You surely can beat Dark Souls without dying. And purely by being skilled, not by being lucky. There is not a single thing in Dark Souls which represents an unavoidable death (well, other than one specific story-event where you are supposed to die to continue, but that doesn't exactly count). Everything comes down to how well the player is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by waijie View Post
    If you didn't notice that particular dangerous champion pack with random deadly combination of monster mods that will almost 99% result in death no matter what your skills are, that is considered a player fail. It was done all the time in diablo 2.
    Choosing your targets well is also a strategy. It just means that you will need to be more perfect in inferno.
    Yeah, running from an enemy you cant beat is a valid strategy, and if someone chose not to run, and dies because of it, then it is the player who fails.
    Unavoidable deaths are more like a random champion pack which kills you so fast, before you have even seen them, that you could not have chosen to run either.
    Or for example a specific enemy which in 99,9999% of its hits deals 100 dmg and then in 0,00001% of the hits deals 535532525 dmg. That would be playing the RNG lottery, and dying to that 0,00001% chance hit would not be a matter of player failing.

P.S. Obviously luck enters the equation when it comes to internet stability and lag, but both of these factors are outside the game, and because of that, unimportant in terms of the challenge.

Last edited by ShadoutMapes; 30-04-2012 at 02:56.

Clan Officer - US East Hardcore TheDarkSide's Avatar
    BattleTag Hellswraith-1116

Im definatley going to give it a try. Ill play HC exclusively once I make a level 10 Sc character. Im sure it will be a challenge and one IM looking forward to...

BattleTag Mithan-1353

You will note he didn't say it CAN NOT be done.

In other words, anybody who can do this is basically the elite of the elite, period. (In the Diablo community obviously, I wouldn't go brag about this on your next date).

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Greystone-1553

I would guess beating inferno on HC is basically making you the Navy Seal of Diablo 3 or Delta Force lol.

BattleTag Ignatius-1870

I think it essentially means that if you want to make HC Inferno happen, you'll be spending months (or years?) farming Hell (if you can manage that) before you ever enter Inferno.

I bet they have Titles like you got in D2 after being a difficulty. Case and point Slayer, Patriarch, etc and for hardcore Guardian.

So imagine how cool the guy with the Hardcore Inferno title will feel walking around Sanctuary...

What should it be: King? Lord?

IncGamers Member

I get the impression that (HC) inferno will, by design, be most reliably engaged by a group. The question posed to Mr. Wilson, to me, implied solo play...and if you assume inferno is designed to favor group play (solid, experienced group of gamers ofc), he could be answering it from the pov that groups will do better. ie yeah your survivability solo in inferno will be minimal to none. Which is a different statement than something like.....yeah inferno is designed to kill everyone all the time grouped or not. lol

My reasoning behind the assumption that inferno success is optimal in a good group:
    Blizzard knows how to tune encounters, and they are well versed at gear/mob/skill balance and damage flow. If they says its hard, its gonna be hard. Think yogg no keepers, mimHM.

The devs have said before that they want to reward and encourage group play. And just b/c solo is doable, doesnt mean it's going to be the most effective, reliable or most enjoyable at highest levels.
    One rng situation or misclick, and you better hope your boy is there with a def. cooldown ready. More importantly, if a champ pack can in fact one-shot a solo player with max HP, then you better have a ton of debuffs on that ***, along with some buffs for the group. Again, I'm assuming the scaling is such that group synergy will be favored when rng/tight tuning survivability matters (HC).

Also, they put a ton of work into the skill/rune system. To me its super diverse and almost organic with complexity. Im sure they want us to push it to the max, and group minded choices and interplays, for me, deepen the experience.

Final note is that each class (on quick inspection) has some sort of 'group buff' and/or mob debuff and CC. That smells of synergy to me! Can't w8 to drop slow time with the damage boost on top of some mellees.

I love the smell of synergy in the morning!

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Greystone-1553

Except it has been stated you can solo SC inferno and actually grouping inferno will probably be harder.