Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BattleTag Hakmon-1219

Re: The Barbarian single-target DPS challenge!

@Superstate
    Heh. Yes, silly me, the APS should be 2.47. I must've typed something wrong when doing the calculation.

And to your other points:

Quote Originally Posted by Superstate View Post
    You've also used the 120 fury for Dread Bomb (Berserker Rage in other words). Did you also include the increased damage from BRage for Dread Bomb? Or did you mean to use 100 fury? Did you think of inclusion problems when including Dread Bomb (it takes out Frenzy damage)?
    No, the WT/Dread Bomb build doesn't have Berserker Rage (25% increased dmg at max fury). I think that would be counter-productive. I should have clarified that in my post, though; that wasn't really obvious. It has Animosity instead(10% increased fury gain and 20 extra fury). So something like this.

I don't see why the scenario is biased in the favour of Frenzy/BR. Well, maybe a little since you'd get to max fury faster with the Animosity build I posted (or would you? you have 120 fury to reach, not just 100). But including that into the calculations is beyond me, at least. Seems a little futile too, considering how being hit also generates a lot of fury - it would be inaccurate either way.

Both builds would be equal in terms of Frenzy ramp-up time, so I don't see a problem in starting the scenario at 5 stacks.

Quote Originally Posted by ElementEight View Post
    I do recall Dread Bomb having a pretty long casting time, though, which may hurt that one a bit.
    That's certainly possible. Dread Bomb could easily have a similar cast time as Corpse Spiders. If it can be spammed with Relentless, then I think it can still deal the most DPS, especially with items that increase our Fury pool.

@ Snerra, yes I already edited that out! Mixed the two together.

It is biased because of the lack of Frenzy ramp-up time favors Maniac, as well as a lack of fury build up time which favors Berserker Rage. Or did you perhaps throw in an extra DBomb to compare? That shuffles around the rate of stacking Frenzy as well.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jedouard View Post
    OP,

I'm a nerd. Now that that's out of the way, I think this would be cooler if we had some more "givens", namely: monster HP and monster physical and elemental resists.
    This is kinda pointless in this form. Right now only way to approach the problem is get earthquake, WotB and CotA.

If we take in assumption that the target is immortal then maybe should actually drop skills like earthquake and just go for the highest sustained dps.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Karpalo View Post
    This is kinda pointless in this form. Right now only way to approach the problem is get earthquake, WotB and CotA.

If we take in assumption that the target is immortal then maybe should actually drop skills like earthquake and just go for the highest sustained dps.
    That is correct. These skills, from my experience with theorycrafting (world of warcraft, gw, rift, diablo 2, as well, as warcraft III customs of all sorts and forms...), these skills pay a huge "burst" tax. Damage per amount of time invested is really important,... and if you can't cast something for a minute or so, that value goes down very rapidly.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Greystone-1553

I still think my build has the most realistic "burst" damage using the 2 minute cd skills. You do have to calculate ramp up time for fury and if you figure on going in even with full fury my build has **** ton of fury to pay for those high cost skills. Plus you want all 3 of the 2 minute skills to overlap as much as possible to compound it. Your personal damage is less important than stacking them altogether with a spammable skill that does decent damage with wotb like bash+onslaught rune. This build focus's purely on getting into the boss's face and unloading bookoo damage over the next 15 seconds. This is pure high damage output with almost no ramp up time. War cry+ancient spear, 2X bash, wotb+cota+earthquake and spam bash. Anything past 15 seconds doesn't matter because this is built on pumping out the most possible damage in that time frame with almost no ramp up time on damage. Had to edit the build because I just realized it's not the same as my original build. Just add ignore pain activation after all the 2 minute cd's are activated and a couple of bashes before popping all the cd's. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...TjP!ZYV!ZZcbcZ

BattleTag SiegeValgore-1984

Quote Originally Posted by ElementEight View Post
    Not coming up properly. ;|

Edit: This brings up a very good discussion; are you better to use Frenzy and Furious charge + Berserker Rage OR Bash and Hammer of the Ancients + some other passive?
    Weird, the link works just fine for me. Passives and all.

IncGamers Member

IncGamers Member

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...ViP!ZWY!abcZac

This is what i would go for sustained dps. Sidearm vs maniac is kinda speculative. Assumption is that maniac only boosts frenzy damage. Thrive of chaos is also speculative since whenever insanity is the better rune depends hugely on the fight duration.

There is also the optimistic assumption that you get 100% revenge uptime for best served cold revenge.

Last edited by Karpalo; 02-05-2012 at 20:24. Reason: Changed maniac to insanity

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greystone View Post
    I still think my build has the most realistic "burst" damage using the 2 minute cd skills. You do have to calculate ramp up time for fury and if you figure on going in even with full fury my build has **** ton of fury to pay for those high cost skills. Plus you want all 3 of the 2 minute skills to overlap as much as possible to compound it. Your personal damage is less important than stacking them altogether with a spammable skill that does decent damage with wotb like bash+onslaught rune. This build focus's purely on getting into the boss's face and unloading bookoo damage over the next 15 seconds. This is pure high damage output with almost no ramp up time. War cry+ancient spear, 2X bash, wotb+cota+earthquake and spam bash. Anything past 15 seconds doesn't matter because this is built on pumping out the most possible damage in that time frame with almost no ramp up time on damage. Had to edit the build because I just realized it's not the same as my original build. Just add ignore pain activation after all the 2 minute cd's are activated and a couple of bashes before popping all the cd's. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...TjP!ZYV!ZZcbcZ
    While I'm fully aware that ramp up time is important, I'm not convinced that it's absolutely worth "wasting" a skill slot over. This become even more true when we do the "immortal dummy" test. Don't forget that generating fury isn't wasted damage in itself, especially with Maniac, Sidearm or Onslaught, which deal something like merely 20% less than spenders.

You make an interesting point with Contempt for Weakness + Though as Nails, but unless a boss is hitting you for 20K, you probably aren't making up for lost skill damage. I'm saying this because we've seen videos of early hell play where a WD was hitting for 10~K with Firebombs alone, which aren't exactly high damage themselves, dealing 180%ish back then. Plus, I think it applies to actual "thorns" on gear, not "reflected" damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Siege Valgore View Post
    Weird, the link works just fine for me. Passives and all.
    I'll keep clicking it.

I'm unconvinced by the necessity of using two spenders. While fury generation is important to a degree, slots are pretty expensive. By skipping on Furious Charge/Battering Ram, for instance, you're giving up 28.3% weapon damage per second.

Quote Originally Posted by Karpalo View Post
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...ViP!ZWY!abcZac

This is what i would go for sustained dps. Sidearm vs maniac is kinda speculative. Assumption is that maniac only boosts frenzy damage. Thrive of chaos is also speculative since whenever maniac is the better rune depends hugely on the fight duration.

There is also the optimistic assumption that you get 100% revenge uptime for best served cold revenge.
    I don't think 100% uptime on that is exaggerated.

I'm really unconvinced by Thrive on Chaos as a whole, though; you have to worry about quite a bit of fury generation for a "mere" 25% IAS and 10% Crit. I don't think those will end up being worth skipping on Insanity, especially if it's not even possible to keep it up permanently. And then, if it is possible to do so, does it even yield the same bonus that 25% IAS + 10% Crit + 100% damage for 15 seconds would?