Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: The Barbarian single-target DPS challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by NotUsed View Post
    Yeah, link is without any passives.
    ElementEight you know my opinion, keep max fury with bash and use BR for increased HotA dmg.
    I don't know how you can't see superiority ^^ of my build.
    BTW.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...VTP!ZYc!YZaZcZ

just to see Eq and WotB scaling.

Edit: I didn't think you want to use Furious Charge as damage skill, I though you just wanted it as a gap closer to constantly be in fight. I will use HotA >3 times and you will use 1 time Furious Charge.
    That's the first build I made for the challenge, but realized that perhaps just keeping max fury and using Frenzy was the way to go. Furious Charge is in there because it hits really hard, and doesn't deplete your fury in order to keep BR up.

IncGamers Member

With WotB+Insanity lasting 15seconds and runed Bash you will be able to get BR bonus to use with Earthquake.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by NotUsed View Post
    With WotB+Insanity lasting 15seconds and runed Bash you will be able to get BR bonus to use with Earthquake.
    Yeah, you can definitely generate rage quickly; it's more of a matter of knowing if using Smash is superior to being able to benefit from 'Zerker Rage. And if using both is worth using Instigation over Maniac.

OP,

I'm a nerd. Now that that's out of the way, I think this would be cooler if we had some more "givens", namely: monster HP and monster physical and elemental resists.

IncGamers Member

I used ElementEight's as a base and got this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...TjP!UYc!cZaacZ
    Basically, I figured disregard other stats meant no additional crit chance, and so the ability to spam HotA at low health would put a nice cap on the damage. Survival be damned.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jedouard View Post
    OP,

I'm a nerd. Now that that's out of the way, I think this would be cooler if we had some more "givens", namely: monster HP and monster physical and elemental resists.
    Alright. I understand, and I'd love to have them myself. I'll create an imaginary situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellpyre View Post
    I used ElementEight's as a base and got this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...TjP!UYc!cZaacZ
    Basically, I figured disregard other stats meant no additional crit chance, and so the ability to spam HotA at low health would put a nice cap on the damage. Survival be damned.
    Good idea!

I'm not sure whether this build works or not (meaning the spamming of Dread Bomb), but if it does then I win, despite the fact that the build is focused on AoE.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#aTijfP!cWU!YaaYcZ

1) Reach maximum Fury, while maintaining Battle Rage. (Shouldn't take too long with Bash)
    2) Get below 20% HP. (Shouldn't be too hard in Inferno )
    3) Use cooldowns and start spamming Dread Bomb.
    4) ???
    5) Profit!

Here's a "more sensible" version of this build idea: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/s...entless-Bomber

BattleTag Hakmon-1219

Quote Originally Posted by ElementEight View Post
    We'd need someone to calculate the advantage of expanding fury with WT/Dread Bomb versus that of benefiting from Berserker Rage with Frenzy/Maniac.
    It's pretty difficult to calculate with precision because of how fury works (you also gain fury when being hit), and because I'm terrible at math, meaning below calculations should be taken with a grain of salt. Instead, I'll just simplify it, and assume you only get fury when attacking: 3 fury per attack or 3,3 fury per attack with Animosity passive.

WT/Dread Bomb with Animosity VS Frenzy/Maniac with Berserker Rage

I used these formulas to calculate dps and attack speed: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4661688166

So, these are the assumptions for the test:
    - Dual-wielding two weapons with 20 average damage (not dps) and 1.3 APS.
    - The engagement happens with 5 stacks of Frenzy and full fury.
    - 2.6 APS with 5 stacks of Frenzy.

The time frame for the calculation will be the time it takes to refill your 120 Fury bubble using Frenzy with Animosity, which is 14 sec.

I'm just going to skip to the conclusion for now, and not post the calculations.

Our DPS with Frenzy at 5 stacks is 90,43. The damage of Dread Bomb with 120 fury is 92. That pretty much says it all, but anyway... This results in the following damage output over 14 seconds:

Damage of Dread Bomb with Animosity followed by 14 seconds of Frenzy = ~1358
    Damage of Frenzy with Berserker Rage for 14 seconds = ~1582,53

I've actually not included the cast speed of Dread Bomb, because I don't know what it would be. For that reason, Dread Bomb looks a little stronger than it is...

Even so, it's overwhelmingly in the favour of the Frenzy/BR combo, but one has to keep in mind that in-game, a barbarian will gain fury A LOT faster, since you gain fury when taking damage. I presume that Animosity (increases fury generation by 10%) will also increase the fury gained when being hit. So in situations where you are being hit a lot, I could see Dread Bomb evening the gap. But yeah, it seems like Frenzy with Berserker Rage is better against a single target.

Edit: fixed a mistake.

Last edited by Snerra; 01-05-2012 at 11:41.

@Snerra

A few things,
    You are biasing it too heavily to fit Frenzy/Maniac BR I'm afraid. You can't neglect ramp-up time and above all the fury build-up time. Also, the dual-wielding APS of two 1,3 weapons when using Frenzy and zero gear IAS is 2,47 with 5 stacks of Frenzy. Dread Bomb is cast at 1,625 APS in this case. Did you think of inclusion problems when including Dread Bomb (it takes out Frenzy damage)?

I'm not saying the conclusion is wrong, however all the numbers are as a consequence of using the wrong APS. You've used a biased scenario and as such, the analysis is moot.

Quote Originally Posted by ElementEight View Post
    We'd need someone to calculate the advantage of expanding fury with WT/Dread Bomb versus that of benefiting from Berserker Rage with Frenzy/Maniac.
    Decimation is your friend.

Last edited by Superstate; 01-05-2012 at 13:55.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by HardRock View Post
    I'm not sure whether this build works or not (meaning the spamming of Dread Bomb), but if it does then I win, despite the fact that the build is focused on AoE.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#aTijfP!cWU!YaaYcZ

1) Reach maximum Fury, while maintaining Battle Rage. (Shouldn't take too long with Bash)
    2) Get below 20% HP. (Shouldn't be too hard in Inferno )
    3) Use cooldowns and start spamming Dread Bomb.
    4) ???
    5) Profit!

Here's a "more sensible" version of this build idea: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/s...entless-Bomber
    Yes, of course. How did that escape my mind? I'd love to do that, but given our party comp, I probably won't take as much damage as I'd like to, funnily enough. But we'll see about that. I do recall Dread Bomb having a pretty long casting time, though, which may hurt that one a bit. Keeping it in mind.