Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Unruned Skills??

So we all know about the rune skills and how it "enhances" the skill.

Just to follow the theme of every skill having some sort of use, should the "base" skill be upgraded too? or if that is not possible, just replaced with the most equivalent runed skill (perhaps gold rune since for the most part, it lowers the cost of the base skill) to ensure that no player will "accidentally" have an inferior skill for no reason when a superior skill is unlocked?

IncGamers Member

Re: Unruned Skills??

There are no more "gold runes" :/

I see your point about runes being "auto-equipped", just like you can set an option to auto-equip gear you find if you have an empty slot. But I don't think that's a good idea for runes. While it's true that runed skills are always superior in damage to base skills, a lot of them also have other side effects... for instance, a single target skill becomes an AOE skill, and if that happened without your being aware of it it could have some bad consequences.

And the rune that lowers resource cost, if any, is not necessarily the first one you get... in fact, if the beta is anything to go by, it NEVER is... so that wouldn't solve the problem either, until you get that rune.

BattleTag NinjaGhost-1733

Considering how they throw it in your face that you have a rune unlocked, I can't see the need to 'auto' equip skill runes.

IncGamers Member

Perhaps it is a way of getting rid of clutter when at level 60.

Remove the obviously inferior skills from the game if there is a direct replacement with lower cost.

i think the system is easy enough to understand and there is no reason to auto equip or remove the unruned version. in fact i am willing to bet that people will eventually play "runeless" characters. you know how people like to add rules to challenge themselves i am positive this will be one of the ways it happens.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    i think the system is easy enough to understand and there is no reason to auto equip or remove the unruned version. in fact i am willing to bet that people will eventually play "runeless" characters. you know how people like to add rules to challenge themselves i am positive this will be one of the ways it happens.
    I really like that idea. No runes, Must use first rune, Must use every skill/rune as soon as they unlock.... *sigh* great. There goes a few more weeks of my life.

Yeah the new runes are the same as the colour-coded ones, just...now the rune types are nameless :P.

Some runes drastically change the skill, like Toad of Hugeness. But others are strictly-better versions of the original, like Toad Affinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Buu View Post
    Considering how they throw it in your face that you have a rune unlocked, I can't see the need to 'auto' equip skill runes.
    Agreed...although I did find I would often gain several levels before I remembered to stop and look at my new skills/runes.

With the current skill system, the possibilities are endless.

Although I still wished there was a stricter penalty for changing skills instead of just a CD.

BattleTag Saydrake-1197

They should have kept them as drops - more for the economy!