Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    IncGamers Member Frosty_The_Snowman's Avatar
    BattleTag Fab-2857

Re: I can't decide which character to play still... It sucks in such a good way.

My favourite characters in D2 were Sorceress and Necro, followed by Amazon, and then Barb, Assasin/Druid and finally Paladin. So I definitely have the profile of a caster/summoner.

I'll probably chose the Wizard, Witch Doctor or Demon Hunter as first character.
    In the end, I'll probably pick up the character that is the most gear-independant of the 3 (still have to figure out which one it is).

Re: I can't decide which character to play still... It sucks in such a good way.

I don't think picking a first character is as big of a commitment as you make it sound. I have leveled all classes to 13 multiple times in the beta but not in one sitting or focusing on one at a time. I always picked what I felt like playing the most and switched frequently. Like many others I am partial to the WD since its announcement but that doesn't mean he will necessarily be my first choice. If you don't care about racing to world 1st and equally like multiple classes I don't see the point of all this planning instead of just picking whatever you feel like when it's time to.

To me, D3 is serious business - school starts in a week and a half after release, and I'll want to get my chosen character to 60 before starting the other classes. It'd suck if I spend my precious 1.5 weeks of holiday playing a particular class then deciding I ought to play a different one, instead because once school starts, there's no way I'm playing anywhere near as much D3 as I'd like :(.

For me, the choice is pretty straightforward, but I can see how if you're unsure, it can be quite a dilemma.

I like dedicating myself to a single class, so the fact I am so torn is quite frustrating for me. My first char in D2 was Necro, but when I bought the game, I was 10 and clueless. That Necromancer ended up being some unholy combination between summonmancer, poisonmancer and bonemancer, and needless to say, completly gimped. I never got past Duriel with him. After that (and several other failed chars) I found out about two things, guides to character building on the interenet, and Sorceress. After that, my Sorc was generally my main char in D2, though I made (successfully) several additional Necros.

Anyways, I am sad to say that I, much like the OP, am completly stumped on what class to play in D3 for a very simple reason, I love them all. When D3 was first announced, back in 2008, I set my sights on Witch Doctor and decided him to be my main. He simply had everything that had originally drawn me to Necro, but better, more polished and with less hassle. After that, I must've changed my main dozen or more times, and I am kinda sorta kinda leaning towards Wizard being my first and main class, but I really don't know. I will play them all to 60, multiple times testing out different builds etc, as well as in hardcore, so that kind of eases my decision.

Had decided on DH on the day it revealed, but during the open BETA...WD came close to wavier my decision.
    The Monks combo seems detached not like the assasin..was lookking for chains and finishing moves else he would be another contender.

Not saying BArb n Wizard not attractive, jus overplayed them in the past 10 yrs ?

I was gonna play Demon Hunter before the open beta , but for some reason it didn't click for me when I played it , I think it will eventually turn out a fun class at high level , but the beta will always leave impressions and affect your choices at the start of the game.

I played Monk first to try in the beta and I loved it , but then I played WD , at first it was very slow but towards level 11 it changed abit and became a very powerful class with proper gear , I tried barbarian the last day of the beta and I focused everything on him and turned him into a beast with the best gear I could get from beta and he was ripping monsters apart even in full 4 players game , so I am gonna go barbarian route when the game is released , I love his brute force.

Wizard is also fun but mages/wizards/sorcerers usually become my alts and I enjoy playing them every now and then.

BattleTag starrise-1321

Here's my plan:

Until I've "established" my artisans and resource bank (gold, item, gem, etc), I will play precisely one character dedicated to each of the three primary stats. So a barb, a monk and a witch doctor. Once I've established myself, then I will open up to a demon hunter and wizard. That is five characters, and all of them will be solo-dedicated. The order will be monk -> witch doctor -> barbarian.

I will also be playing with my brother, his boyfriend and a mutual friend, and with another, separate group of friends (two groups). Each group will have a separate character so I don't cross-contaminate my leveling. I'm not sure what these will be, but they will probably be demon hunter and wizard to fill in the blanks until I'm established, as described in the last paragraph. No order necessary here, they will be simultaneous.

The utility of the Monk has always appealed to me, although i do enjoy the other classes as well.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by nailertn View Post
    I don't think picking a first character is as big of a commitment as you make it sound.
    The first char is likely to take several times as long to level as the rest of them... that's my experience with the beta after each wipe, anyway... no twinking, no gold bank, no stash space, no artisan. And, of course, you'll be exploring with no idea what to expect or what the optimal search patterns are, and spending time staring at your inventory comparing items, and reading skill and rune descriptions. So the first char is the one you'll be spending the most time with Should be one you enjoy!

IncGamers Member

Before the open beta I was dead set on the WD, but after playing the monk I knew immediately that he was my favorite. He just feels really fluid, was fun to play.