Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Damage Reduction Monk

Damage Reduction Monk

Basically the goal here is to passively and actively reduce damage.
    Cycling Crippling Wave's Concussion puts a constant damage and attack speed and move speed debuff on attacked mobs.
    Deadly Reach's Scattered Blows third attack will hit up to 6 enemies in a 15 yard radius for quite impressive damage.
    Intelligently using Exploding Palm's Essence Burn should put a constant dot on mobs after it explodes.
    Tempest Rush's Slipstream also reduces damage and will be of essential importance in order to safely get to dangerous ranged mobs while further debuffing whatever mobs we're running through.
    Mystic Ally's Earth Ally will provide some extra distraction therefor further reducing our damage intake and increases our healthpool.
    Mantra of Conviction's Intimidation also reduces damage intake in addition to providing a minor damage boost to our skills.
    The passive Resolve also debuffs mob damage whenever we succesfully damage said mob, which works in tandem with for example Tempest Rush and Burning Essence.
    One with Everything indirectly reduces enemies elemental damage by raising our resistances.
    Lastly Seize the Initiative will raise our Armor in relation to our Dexterity.

I'm not too sure about Deadly Reach's Scattered Blows, but i'm not seeing a better alternative in that area for the moment. What about Exploding Palm's Essence Burn? I thought the skill would be a nice synergy since this build is made to last long against mobs, therefor not really needing big damage bursts to quickly dispatch of mobs. Then again 20% per second dot doesn't seem so impressive.
    One with Everything's effectiveness is hard to gauge yet. Pacifism might be a much better fit. Same with Seize the Initiative, how much is 100% of Dexterity worth of armor? I don't know. Lastly, Near Death Experience seems grossly overpowered to any build made to not die, which is why i didn't take it.

So, what do you think?

IncGamers Member

Re: Damage Reduction Monk

Crippling Wave and Scattered Blows seem like they're fulfilling the same role in your build (AoE damage to enemies near you). And since both of them need to be spammed, you can't really use both at once. You could potentially swap out Scattered Blows for Foresight (18% damage boost to all attacks for 30s on the third hit of Deadly Reach).

BattleTag Chaboi-1594

Interesting build, I just question its viability in hell+. If you don't plan on playing that far then this is a great build. However, you don't have a crowd control skill (one that stops incoming damage altogether) nor do you have a heal. I strongly recommend listening to the developers when they talk about how hard the game is.

"we have our most skilled testers take random gear and attempt bosses/champions, until they fail 20 consecutive times we continue to tweak the encounter. For launch, everything is being tuned this way, and then doubled to compensate for our player bases' skill."

Doubled in internal difficulty...take heed my friend.

Where's that quote from Chaboi? Could you provide me a link?

As for the build, really like it. As redrach said, CW and the Scattered Blows rune of Deadly Reach probably won't work together. Since the build is based on damage reduction I would keep CW and drop DR for something else. How does Blinding Flash sound? It would provide a hard CC, which will probably come in handy.

The usefulness of OWE will change together with your gear. It will fluctuate between completely useless and very useful regularly until you'll know for sure which items you want to use.

As for NDE, it's not a bad passive, but it's hardly overpowered. It's basically a simple HP boost when you need it the most and after its used it becomes worthless for 90 seconds. It's not a game-breaking skill, so I wouldn't ignore it just because someone may think it's cheese. It could be a good backup passive in place of OWE, when OWE is useless because of your gear.

Also, damage and attack speed debuffs may stack similarly to slows, in that only the most powerful effect will affect enemies at a time. If this is the case then you could drop Resolve for something else, because CW's debuff is not much worse.

Last edited by HardRock; 29-04-2012 at 17:46.

BattleTag Chaboi-1594

Thanks, I missed that. I really hope the endgame will be super hard. We'll be able to reach some truly ridiculous looking defensive stats (how does 4k Life regen per sec sound? ), and for a while now I had the feeling that the devs were messing with dataminers. That feeling is gone now that I read Jay's answer.

Last edited by HardRock; 01-05-2012 at 09:30.

BattleTag Chaboi-1594

Yea, it's going to be a wake up call to these people who think they can roll with all damage, MULTI-generator builds. It's just not going to work, at least for a long while.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chaboi View Post
    Yea, it's going to be a wake up call to these people who think they can roll with all damage, MULTI-generator builds. It's just not going to work, at least for a long while.
    I was really hoping to roll an all-damage monk when i first heard of the game, Fist of Fury came to mind! I can't wait to see how the game actually turns out though. There's so many possibilities running through my head its absurd.

IncGamers Member

The thing is, the way the Spirit system works out I'm not sure if an all-damage monk will even use all of his spells if he's playing optimally. Most of the time it'll come down to using a single spirit generator for regen, a spammable spender for damage, and another spender that's limited by CD instead of spirit. That leaves two more slots for defensive skills plus a mantra.

Banned

I'm not sold on deadly reach either, but i think this build needs a punch, maybe WorHF Windforce Flurry?
    Blinding Flash seems so situational though, i rather pick something that helps all the time since the goal is to be toe to toe with enemies tanking their attacks.
    I hope all the reduce damage mods stack together though, else this build is completely useless.