Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Zombie Dogs CD

Does the zombie dogs CD seem too long to anyone else? With Life Link and Sacrifice it doesnt seem like the dogs are going to last long, and with the fast paced combat of D3, a lot can happen in 60sec.

Re: Zombie Dogs CD

Indeed, but Zombie Dogs last indefinitely until killed, so the 60 sec CD probably isn't going to be as bad as it sounds.

The frequency with which you can create Zombie Dogs is probably by design, because it ties directly into how strong Sacrifice is.

In any case, Dogs are just another form of CC, like Horrify. You can't have a no-cooldown Horrify (or almost nothing could kill you), and likewise, there'll need to be times when your Dogs aren't available to distract enemies for you - that's why it's got a 60-second cooldown. Because Dogs are a form of CC that lasts much longer than Horrify.

That said, I think that MOST of the time, not all your Dogs are going to be dying before the cooldown comes back up - that'll only happen on occassion, for particularly tough fights.

IncGamers Member

Sacrifice builds got other ways to get dogs spawns in PvE. When it comes to life link i would say that the rune is aimed towards PvP. Life link and for the master rune for sacrifice and it would look like it will be good combination for arenas. Damage soak and big burst heal that deals burst damage as well. Can't have too short CD on that.

I played the beta and it seems like the dogs go down really fast when they meet unique packs or a huge group of monsters.

I'm not even sure if the skill is viable for the later difficulties, perhaps the Gargantuan is better?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by raveharu View Post
    I played the beta and it seems like the dogs go down really fast when they meet unique packs or a huge group of monsters.

I'm not even sure if the skill is viable for the later difficulties, perhaps the Gargantuan is better?
    This was why I was asking. As soon as a group of monsters showed up that were even just semi powerful, the dogs dropped like flies. Hopefully they scale with gear and levels well because I would like them to be viable end game. I also hope they do something so the dogs cant be AOEd down easily in PvP.

Referring back up to what z00t posted yesterday, the dogs seem like they're pretty much CC right now. As such, they will likely have end game viability. Even though they don't tank, and they barely bite (even with all the mods you can throw at them), they can tie up regular mobs quite effectively, and serve as a nice early warning system as long as nothing shows up equivalent to a d2 MSLE, or whatever your build happens to be weakest against. Scalability will probably remain effective under that usage.

Even against champion packs and bosses, if you're sacrificing and can take a few hits while they're afk, they still serve their purpose and are cool to use. With scalability, that means you can use them in inferno as long as you're nuking them against each pack, and using items and grave injustice + (Sac/NextOfKin, BBV/boogieman, and/or MC/devo) to both reduce their cooldowns and proc new dogs during combat.

Just expect to be cycling thru a lotta dogs. If you need to think of the lil guys as pets and name them and stuff, just pretend it's a reincarnation thing and the same ones are always coming back to play. =]

As for PVP, i dunno. Correct me if i'm wrong, but they don't interrupt spell/skillcasts and PVP-specced players are going to hit hard, so even CC is out of the question. Unless they're doing damage reduction via rabid dogs + bad medicine that i read someone propose somewhere, or some build that effectively utilizies... lifelink maybe (i'm doubtful, since PVP'ers can probably aoe all of em quick)... they just don't seem viable to me for a pvp build unless you have cd reduction items that can take it down to single digits. Without the numbers for grave injustice, your dogs will always be out of the count for longer periods in the arena.

Edit: I forgot about thorns + fierce loyalty for PVP... maybe that, depending on what kind of EQ is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dnttryme View Post
    This was why I was asking. As soon as a group of monsters showed up that were even just semi powerful, the dogs dropped like flies. Hopefully they scale with gear and levels well because I would like them to be viable end game. I also hope they do something so the dogs cant be AOEd down easily in PvP.

IncGamers Member

I think they CD might be too short. You should have the fear of playing petless occasionally due to their death. It's the potential con of their otherwise huge pros.

IncGamers Member

The dogs seemed alright to me. You just can't sit back and assume they'll do all the work for you, any more than you could rely on any single skill to CC/damage for you. They got groups bunched up for Soul Harvest/Grasp, and kept champions off me long enough to throw more spiders at them.

Quote Originally Posted by yovargas View Post
    I think they CD might be too short. You should have the fear of playing petless occasionally due to their death. It's the potential con of their otherwise huge pros.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkmere View Post
    The dogs seemed alright to me. You just can't sit back and assume they'll do all the work for you, any more than you could rely on any single skill to CC/damage for you. They got groups bunched up for Soul Harvest/Grasp, and kept champions off me long enough to throw more spiders at them.
    You guys are insane, they are dieing like flies when you met any stronger opponent, Skeleton King killed once all my dogs with one WW.
    There should be no cd on them at all. Circle of Life passive was only reason they were bearable in beta and beta is super easy.
    You are limited in spells, why waisting slot on them?

IncGamers Member

If you are not using sacrifice i think they are kinda useless. With sacrifice their role get's total makeover. Dog's weren't really dying apart from SK and if you are using the summon ZD spell you can plan ahead. Summon new dogs 1 min before doing SK and you got new set ready on demand. Grave injustice and helm affix will ease the pain + there are other sources to get dog summons than just the summoning spell alone.