Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BattleTag Duskmourn-1569

Question Darkness Falls, Heroes Rise is boring. Am I the only one that thinks that?

Look I like many of you have been a diehard Diablo fan since the start, but I really and truly feel like that release website is a joke. Yay in game banners that was a good thing, but the unlocks are horrible in my opinion. I can't even justify them for people who haven't been following Diablo 3 for as long as us. Those developer videos from over a year ago don't really sell the game to me. The book is cool, don't get me wrong, but where is the meat and bones. Show us a buncha legendaries with updated mods, some cool video compilations of skill rune effects we haven't seen, some video or concept art of some of the later acts or towns or villages or cities we go to.

I'm not asking for spoilers, but something more than 3 middle aged game devs talking about how excited they are to do an internal Alpha test. I can already guess that the 100% is going to be an opening cinematic and I'm probably right knowing Blizzards predictable track record on these type events related to WoW.

I'm no genius, but you don't build up momentum for the launch of a game efficiently by telling people what you (as devs wanted to do) you do it by telling us (as customers) what we will want to do and what will make us want it that much more.

IncGamers Member

Re: Darkness Falls, Heroes Rise is boring. Am I the only one that thinks that?

Wooooosh.

That was the point of the website as it flew past your head.

It's a marketing trick for largely casual players. You'd think the big "class reveal" videos that don't correspond to reality of gameplay (or don't actually reveal anything) would have tipped you off. Don't expect anything interesting if you are at all informed about the game.

IncGamers Member

Agreed (with Genocides) mostly, the banner stuff is appropriate, the dev videos, not so much. I guess a lot of people probably like watching those videos, but they really aren't the sort of thing that generates excitement about the release. They'd be more appropriate as an extras DVD to go with the collectors edition or something like that.

I mean, they can't think much of it themselves, given that typing diablo3.com on your browser goes to http://us.battle.net/d3/en/ rather than the Heroes Rise page. And, on the D3 battle net page the heroes rises page link is mixed amongst the current news items.

BattleTag Ask me!

Really? I like the site. It's not mindblowing but I'm okay with that. The sigils unlocks are a nice little reward for loyal fans and the short stories are well written. The video unlocks are ... they're alright.

Nothing special but I'm a lot happier with this than with nothing.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by konfeta View Post
    Wooooosh.

That was the point of the website as it flew past your head.

It's a marketing trick for largely casual players.
    I don't see how his point would be any less valid even if that were the case. Even casual players would much rather see in-game footage of skills and gameplay that hasn't been shown yet than the developer diaries.
    Blizzard's done a very poor job on that page, IMO.

IncGamers Member

The site is the only place (as far as I know) to find the short stories for each class. I thought those were all worth checking out.

Edit:
    I just discovered they are on the bottom of the game guide (under expanded universe) after they are revealed on the Heroes Rise page

Last edited by Silverbanshee; 28-04-2012 at 01:53. Reason: correction

I think that the 50% unlock was very cool - it felt more like a proper promotional video, and we even got juicy new gameplay footage which I'm still re-watching just because it reminds me how much of this game we still haven't seen :3.

But really, I'm in it for the 100% unlock. It's probably going to be Flash-animated and hence, will look a bit funny, but I'm so curious about what the story's about. I need to see just how 'brain-melting' it is. @_@

The banners are definitely very nice, too!

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbanshee View Post
    The site is the only place (as far as I know) to find the short stories for each class. I thought those were all worth checking out.
    That I agree with.

BattleTag Ulthrakk-1149
    I've said it a few times. People will complain about everything.

IncGamers Member

I think it's super lame.