Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Chihuahua-1803

The skills are just plain fun!

Mandatory "I was a hardcore D2 player and still play occasionally and love it and I played in the open beta weekend and here's my opinion guys listen k" intro.

To me, the most enjoyable skills in D2 were the novelty ones. Unfortunately, they usually weren't strong enough to be viable beyond Nightmare (if you were lucky). The assassins traps are good examples. A blade sentinel the spins back and forth chopping everything it touches? Sweet. Firebombs? Great. Charged bolt traps? Loved it. However only a few of those worked well and only with syngeries. Most people just invested in them to get to Death Sentry. You COULD make it through the game with most, but it was a real struggle, made fun by the novelty of the skills (I found, anyhow).

That being said, some of the stuff available even in just the first 13 levels of these D3 classes is fantastic. The demon hunter's chakrum (or whatever) is a blast to use. The monks first few melee skills already top anything the assassin had in terms of her kicks and punches. The wizards frost beam is much more enjoyable in use than D2's ICE BOLT ICE BOLT ICE BOLT ICE BOLT. Hell, they even managed to make the barbarian fun.

We can go on forever before release (and probably after) about how one game's system is better than the other. You can never satisfy everyone. However, the fact that I'll be able to go from level 3 (4?) to 60 on a witch doctor and throw jars of spiders (!!) the entire time, AND have it be viable throughout tells me that for me, Blizzard has succeeded in making something that, comparisons aside, is just plain FUN.

Seriously, jars of spiders.

IncGamers Member

Re: The skills are just plain fun!

I like most of the skills. I find them pretty creative and fun. A few of them are unintentionally(or not) comical, like the giant frog. And a part of me misses things like a simple bash with a weapon, everything is so flashy and big in D3, but I can roll with that.

BattleTag Ask me!

Yeah I agree The skills in this game are so awesome that I can't even wrap my head around it.

D3 Demon Hunter Moderator
    IncGamers Site Pal

This remains my main argument against opinions like "The game has completely dumbed down when you can train every skill". Every skill is indeed viable through Inferno if you want it to be, that means a far wider range of possible skills to use end-game. While it was fun to come up with innovative builds in D2, the fact that each character only had a few paths to take if they wanted to succeed through Hell really bugged me.

- Snow
    When people tell me "plz" just because it's shorter than 'please', I feel perfectly justified to answer 'No' because it's shorter than 'Yes'.
    And the Lord said unto Carl: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'. But Carl came fifth and won a toaster.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyChihuahua View Post
    Mandatory "I was a hardcore D2 player and still play occasionally and love it and I played in the open beta weekend and here's my opinion guys listen k" intro.
    Classic. I laughed hard when I saw this.

My open beta experience was similar. Suddenly Diablo was fun again, and the future was so bright I had to wear shades.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyChihuahua View Post
    Seriously, jars of spiders.
    Amen to that

Quote Originally Posted by snowieken View Post
    This remains my main argument against opinions like "The game has completely dumbed down when you can train every skill". Every skill is indeed viable through Inferno if you want it to be, that means a far wider range of possible skills to use end-game. While it was fun to come up with innovative builds in D2, the fact that each character only had a few paths to take if they wanted to succeed through Hell really bugged me.
    This is also why I believe that cookie-cutter builds will not be that prominent. Sure, there will be cookie-cutter builds (the min-maxers will always want to find the "best" build) and it will be easy for other people to copy these. But, I don't think most want to make cookie-cutter builds, they just do so is because they feel gimped otherwise. There will be so many skills in D3 that people will be able to discover effective and fun builds on their own. I kind of feel sorry for the people who will google "best D3 build"; they are only ruining the fun of discovery for themselves.

BattleTag FireIceTalon-1265

Well, a few of the skills are "eh" to me, but overall yea, most of them are quite good and very fun to use. Corpse Spider is indeed a fun WD skill, especially with the Leaping rune attached. And Fire Bats was just sick, the dmg on it is quite high. The fact that all or almost all the skills will be viable in the endgame is perhaps the biggest improvement from the first two games.

I fully agree. The skills are really fun to use. I mean some skills are just whatever, like arcane orb. No matter how good they make it (I know it was nerfed) it will be a skill used on need and not fun. but then I look at corpse spiders (mentioned above) and that skill is fun as hell. I just run around throwing them things everywhere. My wife actually was getting mad at me cause where ever she walked I was throwing spiders at her feet. I could not stop laughing (not mature yet it seems) and the more upset she got the more I would laugh. I eventually stopped when she starting to beat me. let that me a lesson to you all, don’t throw spiders at your wifes feet unless you enjoy getting beat up

The variety of skill options is amazing. I'm currently replaying some d2 to get my fix and ya there's only a few options/builds to go :/. Some skills are bland (poison frogs) until you unlock awesome glyph combos for them (rain of frogs).

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    I fully agree. The skills are really fun to use. I mean some skills are just whatever, like arcane orb. No matter how good they make it (I know it was nerfed) it will be a skill used on need and not fun. but then I look at corpse spiders (mentioned above) and that skill is fun as hell. I just run around throwing them things everywhere. My wife actually was getting mad at me cause where ever she walked I was throwing spiders at her feet. I could not stop laughing (not mature yet it seems) and the more upset she got the more I would laugh. I eventually stopped when she starting to beat me. let that me a lesson to you all, don’t throw spiders at your wifes feet unless you enjoy getting beat up
    So what happens if you glyph it with spider queen? "Honey it's not me the queen is making them."