Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Regarding "dumbed down" and "lack of customization".

I have followed the creation of DIII from afar, I did not want to delve in to every detail prior to the releease - I want the experience to be fresh and overwhelming.

I did however try the open beta quickly and, like many other, I was ultimately displeased. There have probably been hundreds and hundreds of threads regarding this but I would still like to hear some discussion regarding this.

In Diablo 3 beta, each level up felt "meh". There was nothing that made you stop and think and care for some direction of your character. You just kept on plowing on...

The action was indeed there, the smooth flow and fast pace of Diablo 2. No argument.

But... I just am so perplexed... Let me elaborate;

Diablo 2 was the first online game... Nay, first action RPG I ever did play. It was a whole new world of everything... Did the options of distributing stat points, choosing skills and such confuse me and in any way make the game deterring?

No!!! From the moment I started playing it was just mad fun and a BIG part of that fun for me was just that; I created my character in many ways. I did not just choose a template and have it grow depending on presets...

So, what are Blizzards arguments, really? I have read them and they still makes no sense to me because they are simply not true.

I guess what I am saying is, that if we're continuously robbed of having to make choices, many of us will play the game through a few times and then quickly get bored... In Diablo 2 there was a world of choices and I still have some I haven't tried and trust me, I'm no casual gamer, I'm one of those "hardcore gamez0rs who once met a cute .jpg but didn't get to second base".

I am very scared that D3 will lack the customization depth and be a "hack'n'slash"-version of WoW :(

TL;DR: Generic thread. You've read it before.

Banned

Re: Regarding "dumbed down" and "lack of customization".

Your words: In Diablo 3 beta, each level up felt "meh". There was nothing that made you stop and think and care for some direction of your character. You just kept on plowing on...

God damn i am sick and tiered of kids like you, judgin by the beta... each lvl up was meaningless.. derp derp derp..."
    Offc it was meaningless, you can finish the beta with lvl 1 character and kill the sk. It's a nobrainer playthrough, its not like you have to judge weather you need offensive or defensive skill on this and that skill slot. Still dont get it ? Ok let me dumb it down for ya and all the kids that are about to vomit their stupidity over this thread.
    So you play sorceres, and the last 15 mins of finishing normal playthrough you probably got the following spells: electrocute, meteor, arcane orb, blizzard, archon and laser. What is in common for all the 6 spells ? They are all massive aoe damage dealers. Once you get to nightmare you can piss on this BUILD, you will need at least 2 defensive abilities, and 1 cc controll like frost nova or w/e... Stop judging the game from the beta !!!

It seems it was a wise decision from you to stay out of discussions and judging the game... why not keep it up that way ?

Last edited by snowcatcher; 27-04-2012 at 13:20.

IncGamers Member

Hmm... You made it pretty clear from your post who is the younger one of us. Until you're ready to sit at the adult table, I will just ignore this rude post.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Karamo View Post
    I guess what I am saying is, that if we're continuously robbed of having to make choices, many of us will play the game through a few times and then quickly get bored... In Diablo 2 there wa... derp derp..
    Haha, play the game few times and quickly get bored. You mean, finish normal few times and get bored ? Coz with this attitude you wont even get past hell, not to mention inferno...

Banned

Hmm... You made it pretty clear from your post who is the younger one of us. Until you're ready to sit at the adult table, I will just ignore this rude post.
    Now, you can act all high and mighty, but deep down ur self, you know am right

image host

IncGamers Member

I did not come here for some ego-battle. If you want a win, sure you win. Bam.

Banned

No srsly dude, i know i was rude and all that. But please understand, this is the 100th post that i've read complaining about the beta, how easy it is, no challenge, meaningless lvling. Seriously, the beta is nothing in gameplay/balance term of what diablo 3 will be on higher difficulties. The only similarities the beta will have with the retail version is the graphics and the environment. After we hit nightmare and above, that is where the challenge/game begins.
    What do you think, why did blizzard spent all that time balancing and polishing the game for ? Diablo starts from nightmare and above, the beta is just the makeup...

BattleTag Jackal-1357

I did not come here for some ego-battle. If you want a win, sure you win. Bam.
    So...what did you come here for? You acknowledge that this thread has been made countless times. Clearly you've read others like it, and seen the same responses to those same threads.

Why make another one? It's not new, it's not fresh, it's not constructive.

Why?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JackalYYC View Post
    So...what did you come here for? You acknowledge that this thread has been made countless times. Clearly you've read others like it, and seen the same responses to those same threads.

Why make another one? It's not new, it's not fresh, it's not constructive.

Why?
    I think hes new here, see 10 posts only, that is posts in this thread included. So cut him some slack, but ppl mustn't judge diablo3 from the beta. Maybe that is why blizzard doesn't do open beta tests. It seems many ppl find it difficult to understand that the beta is only here to test game mechanics and have a taste of what the gameplay/flow of the game will look like.

IncGamers Member

I hear that and of course you are right, but I'm curious if it is as I suspect, that only runes and items will define a character ultimately?

I mean, I read that runes also had their numbers crunched or some such to even further limit choices with Blizzard defending that change in the usual Blizzard fashion.

I am not at all doubting the difficulty of the game in the latter stages nor am I trying to say that there is only use for "one button" mashing. My point is this;

Will our characters be built from a template with our only interference in that being itemization and runes?

In Diablo 2 there was a lot of choices to be made and you actually made your character your own... I fear this will not be as prominent in Diablo 3. I do hope it will be in the end, but from what I've read about the late game it does not seem that way...