Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: Which levelling system do you prefer more? D3/WoW's or D2's?

Quote Originally Posted by FireIceTalon View Post
    What was the half way to 99 on D2? Been so long since I played it I forget.

On D1, level 46 was halfway to max level (50)! And going from 49-50 was about the same as 1-42....pretty sick.
    There multiple penalties in place when you get to higher levels in D2. From experience i would say that past 90 it pretty much feels like double the effort it took to get that far for every level. I think you get something like 99% xp penalties when you are lvl 98 trying to make your way all the way up to 99.

It used to be easier in earlier patches tho.

i am kinda surprised by all the love for the d2 system. it was a horrible system imo. forced players to repeat the same tiny bit of content endlessly to gain levels and had nothing left to do after you finally completed your build. these problems are fixed in d3

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    i am kinda surprised by all the love for the d2 system. it was a horrible system imo. forced players to repeat the same tiny bit of content endlessly to gain levels and had nothing left to do after you finally completed your build. these problems are fixed in d3
    Not only that, but you would run around saving skills to dump into the high levels skills you wanted to max. This was especially true before the late addition of synergies.

There was nothing fun about having around 10-15 skills saved up until you could start dumping them into frozen orb etc. Also, the function and look of the skills change in D3, which I think is pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard Cain View Post
    Not only that, but you would run around saving skills to dump into the high levels skills you wanted to max. This was especially true before the late addition of synergies.

There was nothing fun about having around 10-15 skills saved up until you could start dumping them into frozen orb etc. Also, the function and look of the skills change in D3, which I think is pretty cool.
    i did not even think about that. i remember how much it sucked to kill things with my ice bolt then boom i get glacial spike or whatever and suddenly i can kill again, then 2 levels later i am back to killing everything so damn slow til orb unlocks. this was not just sorc only but pretty much every char outside of the barb for me. the barbs passives allowed me to not have to save points

IncGamers Member

Even if I prefer the D2 system, I would never want it back as it was. Times do move on. I wanted something better. But D3 simply removed any actual system. It's as if, they tried all kinds of options and came to conclusion that there is not a system in existence that gives players the feeling of developing their characters that works well. It's just a great ideal that's not plausible. So, they made everything automatic. You just hack and slash and let the levels come and at some point decide if you want orange bats or green bats. Maybe that's the ultimate, I wasn't the one testing all kinds of different systems. But I refuse to say it's some stroke of genius.

IncGamers Member

Just because there isn't a tree doesn't mean there is no system. More options does not mean no system.

Having no system, to me, means having all skills unlocked and all rune variants unlocked at level 1. Just pick the 5 you want and move on.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard Cain View Post
    Just because there isn't a tree doesn't mean there is no system. More options does not mean no system.

Having no system, to me, means having all skills unlocked and all rune variants unlocked at level 1. Just pick the 5 you want and move on.
    To be honest I don't know why they didn't do that...if most of the skills are viable end game and don't have much progression between each other why not just have them all available right away

IncGamers Member

Because each class has many skills each with 5 rune variants, and you can choose any of the skills you want for your 5 skills which leads to MANY combinations (I'm sure you have heard/read the numbers). You can't simply throw that many options at the player and expect it to work well.

Most people would just pick a skill they or 2 they like and stick with the same rune variants for the entire game. The way it is designed you unlock 1 rune variant or so per level, which gives incentive to the player to try out the rune variants as you level up. This should help the player understand how certain skills with runes will work, and how that variant will fill a niche.

That way when you reach higher difficulties when you actually need skills that have a purpose besides doing damage, you will have better understanding as to what options you have.

IncGamers Member

i like d2 system but levels 95- 99 were unnecessary. should be something like 1 - 95.

IncGamers Member

Sure I understand it could be confusing to new players to throw them that many options right away...they might also find it fun...but it's a sensible functional thing to feed the skills in portions. But I don't understand how that makes it a character development system, because you still aren't developing anything, just choosing between options