Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

View Poll Results: Do you think users should be able to create custom arena games?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am looking forward to playing competitively or watch high level PvP!

10 38.46%
  • Yes, the competitive scene will help me sell PvP items on the auction house!

1 3.85%
  • Sure, why not.

9 34.62%
  • No.

6 23.08%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

PvP Commentary and Serious Discussion

The commentary:
    <****** class="restrain" title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xf5jQoLZsFY?wmode=opaque" frameborder="0">

Small contest for fun:
    Spoiler

------------------------------------------

The discussion:

Many of the people involved in esports agree that the most important factor for turning a game into an Esport is that it is entertaining to WATCH.

With highlight videos showcasing awesome combos and teamplay, to grudge matches or matches with money riding on them...

Do you think PvP could be fun to watch played at a high level?

------------------------------------------

Below are some further thoughts concluding with what I think is the minimum I want Blizzard to do for the competitive community. Feel free to share your own ideas about competitive Diablo 3 with or without reading it.

Whenever the topic is brought up, Jay Wilson speaks out about how PvP in Diablo 3 is being built for the casual player. From what he has said I've gathered that people will not be able to make private games and there won't even be any in-game way to tell who the best players are.

One direct quote from 9 months ago is the following:
    "There is no ranking [shown to the players], there is an invisible ranking that we use for matchmaking."

They have said there will be some sort of leveling progression from playing arena but that losing will level you up almost as fast as winning.

Blizzard is a smart company. They know that people can quit games due to frustration and feelings of failure. It is also certainly true that generally casual players never have any idea how much better the really competitive people are than them and often have misguided notions about their own skill.

Because of these reasons, Blizzard is going to soften the blow on them by putting less of an emphasis on rating, competition and "being the best".

There is logic behind the decision, I honestly don't know if it's the best decision for the longevity or revenue of the game, but it certainly could be.

I'm about as serious about Diablo 3 as anyone else, I want to play and commentate Diablo 3 at the highest level. I know there will be an audience for it but noone can know how big. A lot of other franchises with competitive players are on the decline. WoW and MW to name a couple.

For me, the ability to host private games is the most important.
    Rating or not, the best players more often make themselves known through tournaments or streaming/self promoting.

If there are no private games, user run tournaments become impossible since you simply can't play the matches.

Note: This is not the place for a discussion about Diablo 3 PvP balance. It is true balancing the game may never be reached but we know Blizzard will be making SOME effort to balance it. Even if they ultimately fail, the game can still be fun to play and watch at a high level.

Last edited by Armada; 27-04-2012 at 09:25.

BattleTag Ulthrakk-1149

Re: PvP Commentary and Serious Discussion

My gut feeling about D3 PvP is that while there is a pretty intense group of people who may want it to be a competitive affair, or an e-sport, that group is just not large enough to make Blizzard change their development stance. As recently as this week, Zarhym has mentioned that they see D3 PvP as a fun game component, and not something they see as an e-sport, nor are they looking to balance it:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/top...7696?page=2#30

We want PvP to be incredibly challenging and fun, but we want to avoid turning it into a truly competitive leagues/ladders eSport. We just don't think Diablo gameplay is very conducive for that type of controlled environment where balance is paramount.

That said, we want to develop PvP as an engaging and rewarding system. What we don't want to do is take a traditional eSports approach to PvP, where balance will become so important to a competitive ranking system that solo and cooperative gameplay feel a bit neutered as a result.

We want your characters to feel totally imba. Then we want you to enter some Arenas, send the scorched remains of other players' corpses flying, and let the satisfaction wash over you -- until your opponents take similar care of your hero, that is.

I think it is feasible that there will be some PvP perks, like banner markings, or maybe ears will be back as a collectible, but it doesn't seem that Blizzard wants to support or promote a competitive PvP scene; quite the opposite, as Zarhym points out.

IncGamers Member

Thanks for posting that Crudesash, I totally see where they are coming from.

Having said that I think they might be missing the fact that it's possible Diablo 3 might be more entertaining to WATCH than any esport currently being played.

People often forget that is the most important factor for potential esports.

Anyways, whether or not it turns into a true esport, I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun playing and making videos.

IncGamers Member

@ the 3s mark its Starcraft menu sound

@ the 3:34 Commentator in a tennis match. I think it was Federer vs Nadal, Nadal wins. Was a good game!

@ the 3:52 I dunno :(

On topic tho. I dont really mind if they do or dont. Im not gonna pvp @ start anyways, so Ill be busy doing my own thing. The match was cool tho, so it might be something to keep track off.

BattleTag Ulthrakk-1149

Quote Originally Posted by Armada View Post
    Thanks for posting that Crudesash, I totally see where they are coming from.

Having said that I think they might be missing the fact that it's possible Diablo 3 might be more entertaining to WATCH than any esport currently being played.

People often forget that is the most important factor for potential esports.

Anyways, whether or not it turns into a true esport, I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun playing and making videos.
    I like your videos, and as I wrote elsewhere, I think if the community really, really wants it, you never know what will happen. Good luck!

IncGamers Member

Not even sure anymore, but was I supposed to answer them @ the youtube thingie also? If so, Im a little late!

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Retardje View Post
    Not even sure anymore, but was I supposed to answer them @ the youtube thingie also? If so, Im a little late!
    Yeah you got them right but I've already PM'd the winner for the two you answered, he was really fast (and admitted to googling the tennis one which I should have realized would happen)

IncGamers Member

Ah ok, didnt know how it worked exactly The tennis one isnt that old, I watched the game live Third alrdy found?

IncGamers Member

No one has answered all of the factors of the third one together although each part has been answered by different people at different time.
    No winner yet!

BattleTag FireIceTalon-1265

Really hope there is a 1v1 system.....2v2 is fun but 1v1 is really the true test of a players skill.