Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Does anybody like Energy Twister?

Because I hate it. I finally got a chance to level a wizard to lvl 13 and I was specifically excited to try out energy twister for myself since it is a skill that hardly ever gets seen in videos. And it sounds interesting on paper, one of the Wiz's big damage/big cost skills. At this point I've gotten the chance to try almost all the available skills in the beta and I've been very happily surprised to find that while there might be some balance concerns here or there, every single skill feels distinct an useful. But after playing around with E.T. for quite some time last night - dear lord, is it useless!

The biggest issue, of course, is the enormously erratic movement. It doesn't even always move forward as some times I've cast it and had it end up behind me. On top of the totally unpredictable movement, it moves pretty darn slowly which means that in order to have even the slightest chance to reliably hit a target, you have to cast a right on top of them or else they'll be gone by the time it gets there. And then there is the damage which looks so juicy on paper...but really it is 60% dmg/sec which ends up being horribly low damage since, due to the slow and erratic movement, monsters often won't even be inside the twister for even one full second. My character is able to one shot most monsters with shock pulse or magic missile but I'll often have trouble killing basics skeletons with the damn twister. All of this combined with the skill being really expensive, only being castable three times before your empty. I would often walk right up to a good group of monsters, cast three twisters at them, and have most of them survive.

The only time I can imagine the skill being good or useful is when there are so many monsters around you that no matter where the twister moves it's bound to be hiding something. As it is right now, most of the twister ANS of being wasted which makes it utterly useless. Even at half the cost I suspect this one would be no good.

IncGamers Member

Re: Does anybody like Energy Twister?

I'm not a fan. You pretty much already said what's wrong with it. If there ever is a scenario where you are completely surrounded by monsters then AT with death blossom will be the superior choice.

IncGamers Member

All i can think of is maybe some of the Skill Runes will make it worth while. Otherwise yeah, there are much better options.

IncGamers Member

It should probably just go in a strait line

IncGamers Member

The way the Skill shoots off to me it feels like it should even "home" in on enemies and still wouldn't be OP. The way it just randomly flies around though makes it seem inefficient for anything.

You all need to learn to use the environment to your advantage. For example in the SK fight energy twister destroys the SK, Just go to the left side broken bridge and have the whole party stack on top of each other there. It eliminates running around like retards chasing after him and all the dps is concentrated. It's so obvious it almost seems stupid not to do it.

It is also of note that there is a rune that makes them spin in place, whether that means that it spins in place at your location or at your target's remains to be seen.

This is a very good skill lol. It feels weak in the beta because most fights does not last long enough for them to be efficient. It's not that necessary to weaken enemies when you one hit everything.

If you try them in the yar of soul event I think you will change your mind about them.

1. Good dmg.
    2. Looks sweet.
    3. Several twisters out at once.
    4. Lasts 6 seconds, makes it possible to spam other spells at the same time.
    5. Awesome runes. The one that makes them spin in place gets my OP alert.

I don't dislike it, but it's not my favorite skill so far. I wouldn't use it open spaces against small groups, because it's a really inefficient use of AP in that case, since it's damage cannot be concentrated. AO is better suited for that scenario. However in tight corridors its really good, because the walls will make its movement much more predictable. It's also a hugely efficient AP spender against large groups of monsters. It shouldn't be used as AO or even AT, it's more situational than those skills and for this reason there really isn't enough space for it on the hotbar in the beta.

I had so much fun using it against Chancellor Eamon though. He often retreats into a corner, where Energy Twister will deal constant damage to him.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by HardRock View Post
    However in tight corridors its really good, because the walls will make its movement much more predictable.
    I tried it pretty much everywhere including small corridors and even there I'd say, on average (occasionally you'll get that perfect spin), almost any other beta skill does more damage, more quickly, for less AP.

Quote Originally Posted by snurrfint View Post
    If you try them in the yar of soul event I think you will change your mind about them.
    As I said, "The only time I can imagine the skill being good or useful is when there are so many monsters around you that no matter where the twister moves it's bound to be hiding something."