Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    IncGamers Member

OMG/WTF?! No Authenticator = $100 Spending Cap. How will this affect the Sellers?

I don't have the statistics of how many Diablo 3 players already have an authenticator or are going to buy one and learn how to use it. But let's wildly assume that most players don't have one, can't have one or aren't going to have one.

In addition, taking into consideration of the amount of red tape and levels of clearance that one has to obtain from PayPal's draconian verification checks to create an account and then have the spending limits lifted.

If most players have neither an authenticator nor a PayPal account, most players will be stuck at a spending limit of $100. Would $100 be the most common maximum price in the RMAH? The auction GUI could throw an error if the seller attempts to set a sale price greater than his "spending/account balance limit".

So will we be seeing 4 distinct Spending Castes/Classes?
    1) RMAH Hater: Spending Power = $0
    2) No authenticator + No PayPal player : Spending Power = $100
    3) Authenticator + No PayPal player: Spending Power = $250
    4) PayPal player: Spending Power > $250

IncGamers Member

Re: No Authenticator = $100 Spending Cap. How will this affect the Sellers?

I have absolutely no idea what kind of virtual items I would buy for $100... And if I ever sell an item for that then that I`m a happy camper but would still think the buyer would be bonkers. I think most people that actually spend money in the RMAH will spend between $1 and 10$ per month for items or materials. Somewhat comparible to a WoW subscription perhaps. I do have an authenticator and Paypal but I would never spend more than an average game subscription per month, probably less. I think items above $50 will be the perfect rolls and super rare drops. You might be lucky and get one of those while gaming and if such an item would indeed sell for above $100 I`d say its well worth investing in an authenticator.

BattleTag Uder-1608

I would guess most people in NA have paypal, or can get it easily enough. Also, you can get an authenticator if you have an iphone. Maybe android too, but haven't checked.

BattleTag FizzyBubbly-1527

Over the past several years Blizzard has really pushed for accounts to have authenticators activated, so much so that they were giving them away if your account was ever hacked. That's how I received mine a few years ago. Now with the app version it makes it even more accessible. If it does have some effect on the market we would never realize it because we would never know what the market was like without the restriction. So with no frame of reference to look to for differences, those effects would go unnoticed.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by ahwolf View Post
    I have absolutely no idea what kind of virtual items I would buy for $100... And if I ever sell an item for that then that I`m a happy camper but would still think the buyer would be bonkers. I think most people that actually spend money in the RMAH will spend between $1 and 10$ per month for items or materials. Somewhat comparible to a WoW subscription perhaps. I do have an authenticator and Paypal but I would never spend more than an average game subscription per month, probably less. I think items above $50 will be the perfect rolls and super rare drops. You might be lucky and get one of those while gaming and if such an item would indeed sell for above $100 I`d say its well worth investing in an authenticator.
    My thoughts exactly. Even if there are millions of players i can imagine that literally only a handful of them would be willing to sink 100 dollars or euros into one item. 100 euros is just enough to fill up your cars gas tank to the brim and gasoline is pretty damn expensive here.