Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    BattleTag Punkonjunk-1497

Beta Thoughts: Why are people mad, and what did you do with months of beta?

I'm trying to think back to the first time I played D2... I made a barb, played SP, and put points in EVERY SKILL I WANTED TO. Like, all skills. Got to nightmare, and it was clear I couldn't move forward. No matter what I did. So now, my very first character ever I abandoned and went online, played with a friend, who taught me about builds, but having made soooooo many mistakes... I really like the skill system. On the fly, you can think "Oh, this is working like crap. I should head to town and respec quick" and that seems awesome.
    I haven't been following too close because it makes me crazy to not be able to play or understand things in context, but going waaaay back, a lot of stuff seems to make sense, now that I finally had a hands-on: When I started with D2, it was a totally different world from D1, and I didn't like some stuff... Over the years, I grew to love it more than anything.
    But eventually, I grew bored. D3 here, looks like it won't get boring. Yes, I won't need 4 accounts full of mules and different builds, but I love that.
    I remember liquidating two characters to build my first smiter, and I loved it, but it was soooo much work when all I wanted to do was START DESTROYING AND GETTING MYSELF A TORCH. Respecs... are something I LOVE the idea of. No more rebooting a character, or realizing that two misspent points cost you the build because you wanted to experiment, and now your build is inferior.

One thing I don't like is how fast the beta was: I haven't watched like, many gameplay vids at all. I still ran it in 4 hours, and I farted around a lot. My understanding is this is just a tiny bit of the first act, right? because if this is the whole thing, that really, reaaaaally sucks.

That's one thing I don't understand: What did you guys who got real beta invites do with all these months? after running the six characters through the beta, I can't see much else to do.

And finally.. I only had time to run with the wizard. I discovered the open beta on friggin sunday. I was pretty pissed.
    But I LOVED the wizard. I usually hate magic-oriented characters in everything: Relying on a resource means when you run out, you're screwed. The wizard having non-resource spell type stuff on your left click, instead of OH YOU RAN OUT, WHACK WITH WAND is great, really, really great. I had a ton of fun, and only unlocked a few skills, but really enjoyed cold whatever beam. Lazers, man. No waiting on resources, at least, not in the bit I played. And you really feel powerful: I hated that with sorcs in D2: even with a super solid build, you never really felt powerful, but we'll see how inferno is.

I had a little trouble backpedaling and firing off at some of the grotesque things, the fat guys who explode into worms: Mobs of those gave me some trouble, they ran as fast or faster than I did, and would target me for melee before I could slow them down really, at all.

Inferno: This one seems a little funny. I know we have NO IDEA, but I remember that torch quest being launched as "impossible" in D2, and needed an 8man party to take down... it was what, a week before smiters=pwned was figured out? Do you think they have the internal testers of the late game capable of adequately assessing whether or not we'll figure out a way to destroy it? Honestly, I hope so: And I hope we can't, that it really is a crazy stupid hard struggle. That would be a great balance to all the noob friendliness we've seen. My favorite games start off accessible and get into just stupid, retard nintendo hard, and I really hope that's what they aim for... and it plays out well for a point-and-click style game.

Finally, tinkering with the auction house was a little painful. I found it hard to sort by buyout in a meaningful way, such as removing the N/A buyouts so it would sort by lowest but not none, which could be a useful feature, or maybe, I just don't understand the auction house. I love the idea of a RMAH: People are going to spend money on in-game gear and crap. In D2, that ruined the economy. That sucked! Now blizzard has a real stake in the economy of this game, and the ability to CONTROL it, via the auction house: This seems like a great way to take power away from the turds duping items, and to make tracking of these things a lot easier. I don't know how it'll play out when we're live, but I think it's a good thing for us and for blizz: and those who don't like it are surely welcome not to use it, but spending 5 bucks here and there doesn't bother me. I used to play MTGO and that was fueled by your own cash, and sometimes saving the time to buy what you need will result in much more enjoyment: Or rather, selling what you don't so you can buy what you do need.
    And we all know finding a hundred dollar value item for a class we hate will just be the greatest feeling. No need to heckle for gear or runes or something when you found it yourself: Sell it for cash.

So... that's how I felt about the beta in my couple hours of time with it. I can't wait for the 15th, and prepurchased the game already. I work from home, and they do not care what we do when we're not "on a call" so I will have lots of time to sink into it, and hopefully enjoy it as much as D2.

BattleTag Tobit-1643

Re: Beta Thoughts: Why are people mad, and what did you do with months of beta?

There's only five characters in D3...What are you playing at sir?

You making me miss beta. You making me has sad face again...

sadkitten.jpg

BattleTag Zenkat-1384

Am going to have withdrawal from the 1st to the 15th....

BattleTag PFG-1852

Quote Originally Posted by Zenkat View Post
    Am going to have withdrawal from the 1st to the 15th....
    Yea same here. Even though I'm sick and tired of the beta content and level 1-13, I will be lossed... xD

IncGamers Member

I think rerolling was part of what made Diablo II last forever. Then again, we got rushed through the acts or were totally twinked out in levelling gear. If we find out in Diablo III we have to play through the whole game ,then rerolling might just be too cumbersome in the long run.

But alot of what made Diablo II so good, was stuff the devs hadn't thought about, it just turned out that way.

BattleTag cozmic0-1632

Yes, it's well known that the beta is only 1/3 of Act 1... Don't worry :P

IncGamers Member

I think rerolling was part of what made Diablo II last forever. Then again, we got rushed through the acts or were totally twinked out in levelling gear. If we find out in Diablo III we have to play through the whole game ,then rerolling might just be too cumbersome in the long run.

But alot of what made Diablo II so good, was stuff the devs hadn't thought about, it just turned out that way.
    Free respecs + Shared stash = Diablo II - Grind

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punkonjunk View Post
    That's one thing I don't understand: What did you guys who got real beta invites do with all these months? after running the six characters through the beta, I can't see much else to do.
    Dunno about anybody else, but after every patch I would take all five chars through the skeleton king again, and sometimes on to level 13. Every patch changed the game... new skills became available, runes became available, gear and crafting recipes swapped around, monsters became tougher and so on... so it was never EXACTLY the same, which made it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkonjunk View Post
    Inferno: This one seems a little funny. I know we have NO IDEA, but I remember that torch quest being launched as "impossible" in D2, and needed an 8man party to take down... it was what, a week before smiters=pwned was figured out? Do you think they have the internal testers of the late game capable of adequately assessing whether or not we'll figure out a way to destroy it?
    No, I don't think their internal testers are capable of that. I think we will be figuring out exploits and specialized builds and so on that Blizz never anticipated for years; and Blizz will patch them; and we'll find some more It's the Cycle of Gaming, and it's meant to be like that!