Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: Query on Armour and Resistances!

galz has a point, you can improve your mitigation by at least a factor of 10. And how much life regen on top of that? How big a health pool? Those are subjective but let's say you have enough passive regen to gain a fifth of your globe per second. Needs somewhat optimal gear rolls, but the DPS that, say, a single arcane sentry or the damage of two overlapped ice explosions IS tankable once you get the proper gear.

With everyone so focused on living in inferno so early on, of course it won't be survivable. How many of these people have optimal gear? Not a one, since the RMAH hasn't been turned on. The moment the RMAH goes live, we will have someone demo for us. Inferno IS playable. Blizz just set the progression curve very steep, and everyone has their sights set too high. Farm hell for a week or two, get yourself 1mil EHP with a 50k health globe and 5k regen/sec. Then we'll talk.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by machinus View Post
    Based on the way the two effects are described in the descriptions, I would say that armor and resist have to be multiplicative.

That is, defense is calculated in this way (this is my guess):

dodge/avoid/evade check (now known as just Dodge)
    block check, damage reduction applied
    absorbs applied (not sure how absorb works yet)
    resistance reduction applied
    armor reduction applied

So if you have no dodge, blocking, or absorb, what will happen is you will reduce incoming damage of each type by each resist% and then apply your armor reduction % to every damage type. So if your "physical resistance" (ugh what a terrible concept) ends up being 20% and your damage reduction is 50%, you will take (1-.2)(1-.5)=.4 or 40% damage from physical attacks.

This makes the most sense to me considering the D2 damage system and the descriptions given for these systems.
    You wrong block comes last in the list of damage reductions and absorb is basically a timed extra hp buff.
    So its dodge -> armour% -> resist% ->block -> absorb, note armour and resist order dont matter due to being % reductions.

The one class that has an easy time with maxing these defence mechanics is the monk just grab a lot of dex and resistance to damage type X and run with One with Everything (all resist are = to your maxium resist) and Seize the Initiative adds your DEX to your armour rating and that skill that adds 20% to your armour and you should be indestructible compared the other classes.

Last edited by The Rockman; 22-05-2012 at 17:22.

IncGamers Member

This will show you EHP per budget on each stat that effects defense.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...URiZk9FSU5YR1E

Couple things with this, it's not entirely intuitive. The dex scale needs a vbscript to run (or some kind of really clever class function) and I'm just too lazy right now. So I've just marked the cells that should be edited, hopefully it's good enough for now.

Basically it's not easy to use right now, you will have to think a little bit and dig around on d3nut to get real answers from it. And I don't even trust the numbers for str/int atm, so take with a grain of salt.

IncGamers Member

zakaluka good work I just made a copy and added the DEX bit to it where it will work it out for you from the DEX value.
    Will try and work out how to link to it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq8snShjcjKMdGpKd0UzY1dRbC05SXMyaFI2Y1VWN FE

Edit link is updated to a fixed speedsheet now 2nd one.

Last edited by The Rockman; 26-05-2012 at 16:07.

IncGamers Member

maybe i didnt read the whole thread carefully, but just want to add that RES-rating gives a diminishing return to RES-% obv
    can approx it on a log-base..

IncGamers Member

Yep it is stated that resistance damage reduction is =resistance/(resistance+5*monster level)

IncGamers Member

^ There you go a link to an edited version that will work out Dodge from your DEX. Also tidied it up by removing stuff that not needed (Like STR and INT, when game gives you your effective resists and armour amounts with there bonuses added).
    Thanks for the assistance, I'll definitely go back and edit in the dex-portion.

And as far as Str/Int go, you're right, I can show their budget value without knowing how much the character has. Caught that when I was 3/4 of the way done with the sheet, just didn't edit it out .

One interesting result of this. Calculating the value of Dex at dex breakpoint reveals something most of us will be very interested in. Dex seems to outscale str and int, even at breakpoints. In previous discussion we had speculated that dex would become less valuable than other stats immediately following a breakpoint, but this doesn't seem to be the case unless your dex is VERY high compared to str and int. So basically, dex becomes a tradeoff: it's obviously less beneficial for very hard-hitting champions, and more beneficial in situations where you will face many small damage components (any of the elemental affixes for instace).

Last edited by zakaluka; 23-05-2012 at 15:07.

IncGamers Member

It's not like anyone really cares about dex if he's not a monk or DH anyway, and if they are they will want a lot of it regardless of damage reduction. Unless it's much much stronger than str/int, it's just not competitive with other stats, especially not resistances.

IncGamers Member

Is there a simple rule of thumb concerning your life in relation to your Armor/resistances to maximize EHP?
    Like having ten times your resistanes in Armor for optimal reduction?

For Force Armor Wizards (at least pre nerf) dex was far more viable than vit str, armor or resis.

IncGamers Member

wow, hope this forum has active moderation.