Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Movement and attacking must be possible to bind to different keys!

I could find one blue post on this topic here:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/top...85?page=15#290

Notice the main topic of the thread is WASD controls there, but that's not at all what I'm talking about.

Currently, similar to Diablo 2 (but worse due to larger monster hitboxes), when you try to move but accidentally click near a monster, you will move to that monster and attack it with your "primary"/"left mouse" attack instead.

The only real solution to this is to allow us to disable any attacking done by left mouse button so that it is used for movement only. Currently there is a "move" button that you can bind, but since you can't bind primary attack to anything other than left mouse button, it doesn't help, unless you want to move purely with the keyboard, which I find quite awkward.

We basically need to be able to bind the left and right mouse button attacks to whatever keys we want! As seen in the blue post, that's something they're actually considering, so it would probably help if anyone with US forum access would contribute into bringing it to Blizzard's attention that this is actually important for many serious gamers who don't want to die because they accidentally clicked the huge monster's hitbox and attacked it instead of moved away to save their life.

Re: Movement and attacking must be possible to bind to different keys!

use the "move" button?

IncGamers Member

Like I said, that means you must move with your keyboard, which I find awkward. Binding "move" to left mouse would be cool, if I could bind the primary attack to the keyboard (or better, bind it to right mouse button and then bind secondary attack to the keyboard).

BattleTag Brokenstorm-1880

Quote Originally Posted by galzohar View Post
    Like I said, that means you must move with your keyboard, which I find awkward. Binding "move" to left mouse would be cool, if I could bind the primary attack to the keyboard (or better, bind it to right mouse button and then bind secondary attack to the keyboard).
    bind it to Ctrl+left click

IncGamers Member

Do you really want to hold ctrl every time you want to move? I'm already a bit unhappy with holding shift when I want to be sure I will attack rather than move.

That said, with the current system I suppose binding to ctrl+left click would be best. Then again, I changed all my keys to the right side of the keyboard (since I use the mouse with my left hand), so while I could bind "force attack" to N instead of shift, I can't bind move to something like h+left click isntead of ctrl+left click. In any case, a real solution from Blizzard would be much better than the ctrl+click solution anyway.

IncGamers Member

I could bind the primary attack to the keyboard

i do agree that bliz should give more options even if they are ones i would not use.

maybe bliz is afraid to change it since every change they make from d2 is met with much hate....just saying

IncGamers Member

My move is on a thumb button.

GET A MODERN MOUSEEEE!

IncGamers Member

I have a modern mouse. However I find it uncomfortable to use a thumb button for movement, especially with how the deathadder (and honest most other modern mice) are designed. Next thing you'll tell me is to use the mouse in the right hand because that's what most people find comfortable, right?

In any case, this isn't complaining about "you ruined something good that was in D2!", since D2 had this exact same problem. Only difference is in D3 they made targeting easier, which made this problem a bit worse. It's still the same problem, though. D2 didn't allow you to unbind the left-mouse attack away from left-mouse button (while still allowing you to move with left-mouse) as far as I remember.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by konfeta View Post
    My move is on a thumb button.
    Ditto.

I have a modern mouse. However I find it uncomfortable to use a thumb button for movement

Ditto.

But since I've mostly used it to make sure I walk towards that health globe and not ordinary moving around, I'm ok with it. But yes, better options would be, um, better.