Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member

New Waypoint System = No Progression

I played the open beta this weekend and played Diablo 3 for the first time. I was immediately hooked, as the feel was similar to D2 and I actually enjoyed the skill system/rune system that I was previously skeptical of. I do feel, however, that Blizzard's new questing style and waypoint system is much worse than it was in D2, just hear me out...

The way the system currently works, is that you cannot use waypoints that you've previously discovered to get to further locations in the game, if you begin a game on a previous quest. Now Blizzard has argued that this is an intentional feature to prevent people from using waypoints to exploit boss runs. Blizzard is being very hypocritical when it makes this argument because they continue to stress that Boss runs are not the most lucrative way to get the best item drops. Why then?...Must you prevent characters to way pointing to areas closer to boss encounters? Why do you feel the need to prevent characters from doing boss runs, if what you say about it being inefficient is true? So basically waypoints are useless, and I lose the feel of exploration and progression when I find them. You can find them, but it won't remember that you found it if you start a game on a previous quest? I am not a fan of this iteration. What are your thoughts?

BattleTag cozmic0-1632

Re: New Waypoint System = No Progression

Geez... people will complain about anything...

I don't see a problem here, and more likely after release people will forget about this too. It's ideal and makes more sense to start the quest from beginning, not the just the end part, and you gain better loot this way too... so what's the problem? You can't wait to see SK again?
    Why do you want to be that close to the boss encounter in the first place?

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Smashy-1409

Waypoints useless? Go to last waypoint, kill some rare mobs, leave game, make new game, go to last waypoint, kill some rare mobs again...
    Looks very useful to me

IncGamers Member

I have more of a problem about the ability to go between waypoints freely once you've discovered them. I would want to be close to the boss encounter for the sake of doing boss runs, I don't want to have to redo the entire quest every time. I just don't understand why blizzard is trying to prevent boss runs, if they say they're not gonna be lucrative. And you don't gain BETTER loot by starting a quest from the beginning, you may get MORE loot but by no means better.

Quote Originally Posted by cjengel View Post
    Blizzard is being very hypocritical when it makes this argument because they continue to stress that Boss runs are not the most lucrative way to get the best item drops. Why then?...Must you prevent characters to way pointing to areas closer to boss encounters? Why do you feel the need to prevent characters from doing boss runs, if what you say about it being inefficient is true?
    Well done on totally missing the point. The reason bosses are a sub-optimal method of acquiring items is because they are no longer so easily accessible. Dont you think if people could waypoint farm a boss they would.

The idea is that in general champion packs give more items / unit time and so in general are more lucrative while allowing a player to do good magic finding in almost any area of the game.

Bosses are still worthwhile provided you have stacked Nephalem Valor, but Blizzard are deliberately impeding endless boss runs as they dislike that style of play. They consider it boring and dont like that it keeps players from enjoying the rest of the game. I happen to agree with them.

BattleTag Diab-1350

Blizzards wants to revamp the way players feel about running bosses. They want to shift focus away from bosses and towards the rest of the game. That's why waypoints are spaced evenly apart and you do not get one right next to the boss.

Even in the beta, there are more lucrative ways of getting gear than running the SK, yet most players still prefer to run straight to SK rather than kill all the elites along the way. People still have that boss=most loot mentality. Granted, he's one of the few sources of the highest-level gear at the moment, but this will not be true in the release game. If you were to make a new game and get to the last waypoint before SK instantly, then that "most players" would quickly shift to "all players".

BattleTag Flexy-2748

Does it make a difference? The first time on each difficulty you have to find the waypoint just like in D2.
    From then on, you have all waypoints activated up to the point of the quest you've selected.
    Sure, you can't just do the 1st quest and then jump right to the last boss TP, but that's not a bad thing.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by RazeBarb View Post
    Does it make a difference? The first time on each difficulty you have to find the waypoint just like in D2.
    From then on, you have all waypoints activated up to the point of the quest you've selected.
    Sure, you can't just do the 1st quest and then jump right to the last boss TP, but that's not a bad thing.
    Well technically, you didn't have to find it in D2. Someone could drop a town portal at waypoints and you could get them that way, but I guess I see the reasoning behind blizzard. I need to get off that D2 mentality..

BattleTag Azzure-1989

The current quest/resume game/checkpoint system is brilliant. I fail to see any problem that isn't intentionally designed with the way this system currently functions.

They don't want people being able to waypoint right near a boss room, or key farming location.

As soon as Blizzard say anything about the game no matter how unimportant it is, people will find things to complain about.

Who cares about how discovering waypoints feel?
    Who cares about how you identify items?
    Who cares about the color of different items types?
    Who cares about public chat channels?
    Who cares about tiny little details in the lore?

The important part of d3 is gameplay, gameplay gameplay and gameplay. (skills, itemization, runes, combat mechanics, monster behavior, crafting, balance, PVP, boss encounters, farming, replay-ability, trading)

All the other stuff is either of subjective nature, or to soon to even give a damn about. I'm sure that if waypoints doesn't work that well, Blizzard will change how they work in a heartbeat. It's not a critical matter what so ever.