Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Krimbo-2771

Confused with weapons

I have something on my mind which I need someone to answer for me please.
    I'm guessing others will be confused by this too as it isn't simple.

I don't understand why if I played a Wizard. Why would I equip a wand with 10dmg when I could equip a sword with 25dmg.
    The weapon doesn't get used, only the skill, which is based from the % of weapon damage.

So wouldn't everyone just wield massive war-axes?
    Since its all skill based and the skill damage is based off the weapon damage.

I'm really confused by this.
    Whats the point in having a wand equipped rather than a powerful sword as a wizard?

Could anybody explain as this really doesn't make sense to me.
    Cheers.

IncGamers Member

Re: Confused with weapons

It's extremely simple, if the sword is better than the wand, wear the sword. Wands will be high-dps just like any other weapon. It will also have stats wizards will find very valuable. They will be prevalent, don't worry.

Even though spells aren't actually swinging your big giant axe, their cast speed is based on the attack speed of the weapon. So, skills basically use weapon DPS instead of weapon damage because of this. Your wand's magic missle might do half the damage as a 2 handed axe but you will be able to cast it much faster.

What this DOES mean is that a spell that has a high cost or long cooldown is better to use with your big damage, slow axe where as a spell that generates a resource is better to use with a fast casting wand.

EDIT: Also, if you think wand's do less DPS than swords, thats not true. From what it looks like right now in beta, wands seem if anything to have slightly higher dps than 1 handed swords and such. This makes sense considering wizard's can't dual wield so they aren't 100% comparable to a 1 handed sword.

While I do understand where you're coming from D2 was a game where you'd spent points in strength as a sorcerer to be able to use optimal armor and weapons.

That was then and this is now, so my guess is stats will even themselves out later in the game with wands giving better wizard related bonuses other than dps and thus making them preferable to any other kind of weapon.

Sent from a mobile device, please excuse my brevity.

There is a slight chance that you will find quite powerfull wands in the full version. Also, massive war-axes are slow as ****.
    It's all about balance.

Quote Originally Posted by iAmAhab View Post
    There is a slight chance that you will find quite powerfull wands in the full version. Also, massive war-axes are slow as ****.
    It's all about balance.
    Keep in mind slow weapons aren't necessarily bad. Arcane orb costs the same arcane power whether or not its doing 175% of your big slow axe's top end damage or 175% of your lower but faster wand's damage.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Krimbo-2771

Thanks for the replies guys. (rhyme lol)
    Makes much more sense now.
    I just couldn't understand how a dagger would benefit a wizard over a wand ha!

Quote Originally Posted by MindGame View Post
    Keep in mind slow weapons aren't necessarily bad. Arcane orb costs the same arcane power whether or not its doing 175% of your big slow axe's top end damage or 175% of your lower but faster wand's damage.
    A very good point, thanks to the new skill/attribute system you will actually be able to experiment a lot with different equipment without worrying abour destroying your build in the process.

IMO this fact is going to be a huge part of selecting what skills your character uses. Almost every skill seems to have a very large dependency on the speed of the weapon you're using.. to the point where I can't imagine making any build myself without the type of weapon (fast vs slow, dual wield vs 2 hand) coming into play.

I think it's weird that I don't see a ton of people talking about it...

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Krimbo-2771

I think i'm going to have a beastly sword and then an wizard orb in my offhand.
    Would look sweet as a nut for a wizard IMO.