Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Re: Ask me all your questions

as far as I know, +1 strenght = +1% damage for Barb., +1 intelligence = +1% damage for WD and Wizard, +1 dexterity = +1% damage for Monk and DH.

IncGamers Member

Regarding the skill system...can you only select 6 different spells when you level up and those are the only spells you can use? And the only way to make those spells better are through skill runes (not including gear)?

Also, a lot of the guides I read said that there would be a lot of customization because people would use different skill runes depending on what they want from their character. Well...isn't each level of skill rune better than the last? So wouldn't everyone just max out their skill runes for every spell?

Last edited by SRPang; 02-05-2012 at 03:59.

D3 Demon Hunter Moderator
    IncGamers Site Pal

Quote Originally Posted by SRPang View Post
    Regarding the skill system...can you only select 6 different spells when you level up and those are the only spells you can use? And the only way to make those spells better are through skill runes (not including gear)?
    Not exactly. You actually get all skills available to your character class, they unlock at set levels. This is very different from Diablo II, where you got a skill point each level. There is, however, a limit to the skills you can use at the same time, and that is 6. You have a left-mouse-button skill, a right-mouse-button skill, and 4 skills to put on the action bar (numbers 1-4 by default). You can switch between those skills at leisure (so you can use every skill available), but whenever you switch, there is a cooldown of 30 seconds. And yes, runes are basically the only way to enhance these skills, but the damage that every skill does is based on your weapon damage. So, in theory, as long as you keep your gear upgraded, every single skill is viable end-game.

Also, a lot of the guides I read said that there would be a lot of customization because people would use different skill runes depending on what they want from their character. Well...isn't each level of skill rune better than the last? So wouldn't everyone just max out their skill runes for every spell?
    Again not exactly. A rune that is unlocked at a higher level does not necessarily mean that it is better than the previous one. It just has another effect. It depends on the combination with your other main skills and also your own personal flavour which rune you choose for a certain skill.

- Snow
    When people tell me "plz" just because it's shorter than 'please', I feel perfectly justified to answer 'No' because it's shorter than 'Yes'.
    And the Lord said unto Carl: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'. But Carl came fifth and won a toaster.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowieken View Post
    You can switch between those skills at leisure (so you can use every skill available), but whenever you switch, there is a cooldown of 30 seconds.
    Thanks so much snowieken! That was super helpful. Just to clarify...the 30 second cooldown when switching skills occurs when you put a skill on the action bar that wasn't previously there, right? Not when you switch between the 6 skills already on the action bar?

Also, when you pick one of the skill runes is it set in stone (no pun intended)? Or can you switch between skill runes? And is there only a certain number of skill runes you can get per skill? Is it like skill points? Or can you get every single one, if you want?

One more thing...love the avatar.

IncGamers Site Pal

The 30 second cooldown applies every time you switch a currently active skill for another one. As you level, you're slowly getting a whole collection of skills, but you can only have 6 skills active at any given time. Whenever you change one of those 6 skills for another one in your collection (so, one that is currently not active) the cooldown applies. You don't switch between skills already on the action bar, you're just able to use them at all times (by pressing the mouse buttons or number keys 1-4 by default).

I think there are 5 runestones per skill, each with its own effect or alteration. You get them all, they are unlocked with levels, just as your skills. And also just as skills, you can swap freely between them. If you change the runestone of a certain skill, there is a 15 second cooldown put on that skill.

Thanks for the avatar comment, for some reason it was the first one I chose. I've had this avatar for all the time I've been on these forums, which is little more than 10 years now. Never changed it, only for christmasification (putting a Santa hat on).

- Snow
    When people tell me "plz" just because it's shorter than 'please', I feel perfectly justified to answer 'No' because it's shorter than 'Yes'.
    And the Lord said unto Carl: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'. But Carl came fifth and won a toaster.

IncGamers Member

Thanks for the response. You've been really, really helpful. One more question...if you can freely swap between skills and skill runestones what's the point of respec'in? Since it sounds like nothing is permanent and you don't pick your attributes/stats anymore...I'm just confused what the point of respec'in is.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by SRPang View Post
    Thanks for the response. You've been really, really helpful. One more question...if you can freely swap between skills and skill runestones what's the point of respec'in?
    that IS respec'in

changing your skill arrangement, getting better builds, or just trying out new ones

IncGamers Member

I thought that respec's cost gold? Taken from the diablowiki.net page on "Respec":

"Game Director Jay Wilson has said that respecs will be one of the main gold sinks in Diablo 3, but no other details are yet finalized."

And if respecs do actually cost gold...does that mean that you only have 6 chances to pick your skills? Otherwise you'll have to pay gold to try other ones? Or is the Wiki page just wrong?

IncGamers Site Pal

In 2011 Blizzard revealed that there will be unlimited free respecs (in the form of switching skills with the cooldown as only drawback). The comments on that Wiki page are out of date, apparently.

- Snow

IncGamers Member

Fantastic news. Thanks again boys!