Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Diamond Skin - Mitigation Amount Scaling?

I've been looking and can't find any information on this.

Is there any information on how the damage mitigation amount on Diamond Skin scales throughout the game?

In game, the current amount my Wizard absorbs using this spell is under 400 damage, yet that is nowhere near the ~10k amount shown on blizzard's skill page.

So, does it scale with weapon damage, character level, other? There is no info on the skill itself, does anyone have any information about this?

IncGamers Member

Re: Diamond Skin - Mitigation Amount Scaling?

It seems to be scaling by level only. I think the values in the official builder are lvl 60 values. It's probably non linear curve cause damage and health tend to scale up faster in the late game due some synergies.

I can confirm, that the displayed mitigation only scales with level. Keep in mind that damage reduction from Armor, Resistances, Dodge and Block happen before Diamond Skin takes effect.

IncGamers Member

Thanks for the info, although that sounds kind of disappointing, considering every attack in the game scales with weapon damage and most of them with attack speed. Depending on how exceptional the damage values on weapons become, Diamond Skin could end up getting taken off in one blow (or less?). Seems it could potentially very well become useless end game.

It won't, since as your defensive stats will increase Diamond Skin will hold out for longer, despite the fact that the displayed absorption amount won't increase. Basically you should treat Diamond Skin as extra Life for a limited time.

IncGamers Member

Yes it will hold out longer when you increase most defensive stats, however increasing vitality obviously won't help it. So it still scales less than most skills. Eventually, though, if you feel you need diamond skin to defend yourself, you'll probably feel you need it regardless of whether it scales with your HP or not.

Increasing Vitality or Life actually makes Diamond Skin less useful, since relatively speaking if you have more Life it will increase it by less. For example a 10k damage absorb is amazing when you have 10k Life, but not so much if you have 100k.

A 10k damage absorb is exactly as amazing when you have 10k life as it is when you have 100k life.

IncGamers Member

I wouldn't say "less useful", but definitely not more useful. Of course, any %-based boost gets better as you have more life, which is a boost diamond skin doesn't get.

In any case, it's definitely not as amazing, because you're much less likely to die when you have 100k life than you are when you have 10k life, and therefore you don't care as much for a 10k boost with 100k life compared to 10k life. In addition, a 15% boost with 100k life is better than a 10k boost, while a 15% boost with 10k life is much worse than a 10k boost.

It's really not that complicated when you think about it, although not so easy to explain clearly

In any case, I'm sure diamond skin will be more popular for undergeared players than it'll be for well-geared players, not just because of scaling, but also because it'll be less required. Then again, it might stay popular if it's simply good enough and needed to survive on inferno regardless of gear if they make inferno hard enough. So in the end we'll have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by galzohar View Post
    In any case, it's definitely not as amazing, because you're much less likely to die when you have 100k life than you are when you have 10k life, and therefore you don't care as much for a 10k boost with 100k life compared to 10k life.
    Right, this is what I was trying to say. Although now that I think about it you are also much more likely to play cautiously when you only have 10k Life, so the difference may not be as big as I first thought.