Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Thumbs up Dark D3 - the answer to the color color yapping

http://darkd3.com/

I don't know how many people know about this one, and I certainly haven't found a thread here, so let's present Pyloneer's DarkD3 Pixel Shader mod. If you think the game is currently too colorful for your taste and you want to restore the dark, gritty atmospheric look of Diablo 1, now you can. It doesn't modify any game files, and it's just a shader filter, so you won't be at risk of getting banned from Bnet.

The above page has a D3 screenshot of New Tristram, and from the side you can pick which level of the filter you want to use, with live preview. Enabling the sharpness is highly recommended because it's a significant improvement. Once you make your selection from one of the 5 filter levels, then click the big green Download button. I actually downloaded all 5 so I can try them one at a time and see what gets my juices going.

To install it, you just unpack the files into the main D3 installation folder. To uninstall, just delete "d3d9.dll" and every file that contains "darkd3" in its filename, including the "darkD3_Shaders" folder (4 items in total). Don't forget to read the "readme" for troubleshooting and more info.
    The effect is turned on automatically once you start the game. To toggle it on and off, just press the Pause/Break key on your keyboard. It's that simple! Even the uber-dimwits the game is designed for can get it working. No customization included, for all your noobish gaming needz.

And before you ask, yes it DOES work with the beta.......if you can ever manage to get past the login screen. A gazillion thanks to Pyloneer for the below video and for creating the filter. You won't have to cancel your preorder after all.

<****** class="restrain" title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LcnIIVYSuLM?wmode=opaque" frameborder="0">

BattleTag Ask me!

Re: Dark D3 - the answer to the color color yapping

Seriously? It looks a lot better without the filter if you ask me.

I think it looks better with filter on, but I'm not going to use it, maybe Blizzard will ban me.

D3 Demon Hunter Moderator
    IncGamers Site Pal

Maybe it's because I'm not yapping, but I'm not going to install a mod to a game that isn't even released yet...

- Snow
    When people tell me "plz" just because it's shorter than 'please', I feel perfectly justified to answer 'No' because it's shorter than 'Yes'.
    And the Lord said unto Carl: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'. But Carl came fifth and won a toaster.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ash View Post
    no joke looks better without the filter. /thread
    I'd tell you what to cut off, but it ain't PG

Quote Originally Posted by snowieken View Post
    Maybe it's because I'm not yapping, but I'm not going to install a mod to a game that isn't even released yet...
    l2r, "works with the beta"

Quote Originally Posted by Urzuxo View Post
    Seriously? It looks a lot better without the filter if you ask me.
    I believe the one shown in the vid is the highest level, it's too much for me too. I found that I'm quite happy with the medium effect. that's why the download site has the live preview, so you can pick what suits you most.

BattleTag Ash-1217

people who complain about the color just want something to complain about

if we are gonna take all the color out of the game lets go ahead and add this to the lore

Diablo: Now has the power to drain all colors from the world

IncGamers Member

These things are pretty useless imo because they mute all the colors that don't need to be muted as well...like the health and resource orbs, spells, fires etc...the end results is not an improvement. They are not an answer to anything

D3 Demon Hunter Moderator
    IncGamers Site Pal

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Wreath View Post
    l2r, "works with the beta"
    Let me rephrase "to a game that isn't even released yet" then to "to a beta that is finished in a few days".

On a side note, I'm not entirely sure I like your tone.

- Snow
    When people tell me "plz" just because it's shorter than 'please', I feel perfectly justified to answer 'No' because it's shorter than 'Yes'.
    And the Lord said unto Carl: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'. But Carl came fifth and won a toaster.

The filters are safe to use and were not created by Pyloneer. It's just a...think of it like a driver plugin.

I've tried a few variants of it and I have to say that I won't be using them for D3. The sharpness is horrible and wrecks the UI. I liked it at first but the novelty wore off very quickly.